List of Publicly Funded Monuments in Dublin?

List of Publicly Funded Monuments in Dublin?

Postby robindch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Does anybody know if there's any publicly-accessible list of dedication plaques, permanent memorials, or state- or city-funded 'memorializing' stoneworkery in general, for Dublin city or county?

I'm doing some research at the moment on certain classes of monuments, but it's slow work as it's on an "as I happen to become aware of them" basis!

thanks!
robindch

Re: List of Publicly Funded Monuments in Dublin?

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:23 pm

robindch wrote:Does anybody know if there's any publicly-accessible list of dedication plaques, permanent memorials, or state- or city-funded 'memorializing' stoneworkery in general, for Dublin city or county?

I'm doing some research at the moment on certain classes of monuments, but it's slow work as it's on an "as I happen to become aware of them" basis!

thanks!

presumably you googled this and have contacted the National Monument Service?
wearnicehats

Postby Smithfield Resi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 pm

For a while about a year ago DCC's planning search also had a mapping search that had monuments and archeology listed. If you contact planning IT Dept they would probably be able to point you in the direction of where that mapping function is. I'm not sure if it is publically available now on the web but they may have a link to it...
Smithfield Resi

Postby dc3 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Not aware of any such resource.

If I recall correctly a list of First World War Memorials in the Dublin area (perhaps incomplete) was published in an occasional history publication some 5/6 years ago, the name escapes me - could it have been "The Gorgeous Mask"?
dc3

Postby wearnicehats » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:53 pm

wearnicehats

Postby robindch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for the pointers, folks.

I contacted the National Monument Service last week, but they said, as I suspected they would, that the items they look after are basically of historical importance, rather than the opposite (which is what I'm specifically looking for). The NMS did suggest that the city councils would be the best place to try, but that it was pretty unlikely that anything close to a definitive list exists.
robindch

Postby StephenC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Have you tried contacting the Heritage Officer at DCC - Charles Duggan. He may be able to help.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby robindch » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:56 pm

No, I haven't, but I'll try to give him a tinkle tomorrow -- thanks for the tip!
robindch

Return to Ireland