Convention centre

Re: Convention centre

Postby spoil_sport » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:40 am

A few random convention centre pics from a google image search, and a few of them look shit, and that is supposed to prove?
Here are some Flikr links to images Rafael Moneo's attempt at one of these things.
Yes its a "box to hold conventions", but its a lovley box. Refined, elegant and wonderfully composed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshewwahh/161541216/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninaiznaizena/291750542/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/getdown/185627023/sizes/l/
spoil_sport

Postby spoil_sport » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 am

A few random convention centre pics from a google image search, and a few of them look shit, and that is supposed to prove?
Here are some Flikr links to images of Rafael Moneo's attempt at one of these things.
Yes its a "box to hold conventions", but its a lovley box. Refined, elegant and wonderfully composed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshewwahh/161541216/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninaiznaizena/291750542/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/getdown/185627023/sizes/l/
spoil_sport

Postby GregF » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Aye indeed, that would look absolutely wonderful down the Dublin docks amongst all the STW stuff ...instead! And lit, up like Las Vegas at night .......wonderful!
GregF
Old Master

Postby mp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:19 pm

i dont think anyones suggesting actually transplanting the building, more what is built in other cities with the same type of brief, which is a point worth making
mp

Postby pippin101 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Am amazed at the level of revulsion towards the NCC. It doesn't look pink to me in my photos of it, more like peach. The blank side wall is broken up by the horizontal and vertical lines and the impact from the front is nothing short of stunning. In any case, the side wall is not visible either from the front or when the building is viewed at a distance from a river bridge.

spoil_sport wrote:Here are some Flikr links to images Rafael Moneo's attempt at one of these things.

That building is horrific - at night, it is so bright it puts the rest of the city in shadow, and during the day it looks like an air vent.

spoil_sport wrote:This is how the Chineese did it (not holding this up as a brilliant example by any stretch, but certinally better than our lump)
http://www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com/project.cfm?id=184

That horrendous building looks like a sandcrawler from Star Wars. A sandcrawler to our R2D2!
pippin101

Postby trace » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:33 pm

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/dinkeloo/convention/convention.html includes plans and a cross section supplied by the architects.
trace

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Shot of the drum interior/stairwell from the indo...

Peter Fitz

Postby PaulC » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Here is the promotional video...
http://www.theccd.ie/video/dublin.html
PaulC

Postby jdivision » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 pm

It's hugely impressive inside.
jdivision

Postby Cathal Dunne » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 pm

That's a fabulous picture up the stairwell. It's really striking. Between this, the new Point, the Grand Canal Square and other things, perhaps the Celtic Tiger years weren't completely wasted, architecturally speaking.
Cathal Dunne

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:30 am

Cathal Dunne wrote:That's a fabulous picture up the stairwell. It's really striking. Between this, the new Point, the Grand Canal Square and other things, perhaps the Celtic Tiger years weren't completely wasted, architecturally speaking.

Well of those three, the only architecturally distinguished building is the Grand Canal Square theatre. The Point is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby layo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:48 am

rumpelstiltskin wrote:Well of those three, the only architecturally distinguished building is the Grand Canal Square theatre. The Point is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.

Eh are we forgetting that architecture isn't all about aesthetics? It's probably one of the best venues in the world in terms of sound quality.
layo

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Cathal Dunne wrote:That's a fabulous picture up the stairwell. It's really striking. Between this, the new Point, the Grand Canal Square and other things, perhaps the Celtic Tiger years weren't completely wasted, architecturally speaking.

maybe we could print the photo reallllly big, put it on a banner and then drape it over the bland brutal jarring vomitorium of an external envelope
wearnicehats

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:22 pm

layo wrote:Eh are we forgetting that architecture isn't all about aesthetics? It's probably one of the best venues in the world in terms of sound quality.

Architecture is primarily about aesthetics. If you have the greatest acoustics in the world and a stunningly ugly building, the scheme has failed from an architectural perspective. And that's why I think the Point is an abject failure.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby tommyt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:01 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:Architecture is primarily about aesthetics. If you have the greatest acoustics in the world and a stunningly ugly building, the scheme has failed from an architectural perspective. And that's why I think the Point is an abject failure.

er, Form follows function:confused::confused: (cliché fans)
tommyt

Postby StephenC » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Architecture isn't all about aesthetics!? I have heard it all now.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:55 pm

tommyt wrote:er, Form follows function:confused::confused: (cliché fans)

So do people still believe that anyone ever took that seriously? Look to your local retail park for an example of "form follows function". In fact if people took it to its logical conclusion, we'd have nothing but metalb oxes - a bit like the O2 I suppose. The great modernist architects were as concerned with aesthetics and sculptural effects as any of their predecessors - in fact moreso because they had to invent new ways to make building aesthetically pleasing.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby murrmurr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Only saw this today, looks nice inside (love the roof), this pic was taken nearly two months ago but I don't think the theccd.ie website uploaded it only till recently..

murrmurr

Postby GrahamH » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:03 am

Ha, this is brilliant. First we have Frank this morning giving a thinly veiled critique bordering on disgust for the Conference Centre, followed tonight by Sean O'Laoire on Vincent Browne employing every trick in the book to avoid stating his opinion on it. Quite the sketch.

Who'll be next? This is worthy of a theatrical comedy in the new auditorium.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 am

GrahamH wrote:Ha, this is brilliant. First we have Frank this morning giving a thinly veiled critique bordering on disgust for the Conference Centre, followed tonight by Sean O'Laoire on Vincent Browne employing every trick in the book to avoid stating his opinion on it. Quite the sketch.

Who'll be next? This is worthy of a theatrical comedy in the new auditorium.

The point that caught my eye was every piece of glass was different...
Not that you would design it with that intent...
As big as the sincity operation house that says it all...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby DOC » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:35 am

GrahamH wrote:Ha, this is brilliant........Sean O'Laoire on Vincent Browne employing every trick in the book to avoid stating his opinion on it.

Sean O'Laoire should be in politics! I had to laugh, no matter how much Vincent asked the question, Sean avoided giving an answer twisting and turning the subject.
DOC

Postby a_slight_hitch » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Was in Dallas last week and drove past the Meyerson Symphony Centre.
Wikipedia tells me this is an I.M. Pei building - I wonder if Roche was a fan?

a_slight_hitch

Previous

Return to Ireland