Art in Cork City

Art in Cork City

Postby DeirdreD » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 am

Hello all, I'm starting 4th year in Crawford College and my thesis will be about how works of art are influenced by and relate to the built environment. I'm specifically looking at work within the city of Cork, both public art (percent for art) and private commissions.

There is a fair amount of information on public art, but there is little infomation in the public domain about private commissions, e.g. "Reed Pod" at the Clarion by Eilis O'Connell and the sculpture in the gardens of the Elysian.

I'm also very interested in people's reaction to various pieces around the city. What's your favourite work of art? Sculpture, murals, installations, whatever.

I'm keen to find out more on the input of architects in the commissioning and design process of art. Do you have any input? Do you work with the artist in deciding what best suits the buiding and its environs? Or is a commission imposed on you and are you told to work around it?

I'll want to interview several architects (and artists) about this subject a little later, but for the time being any input here would be greatly appreciated.
DeirdreD

Re: Art in Cork City

Postby DeirdreD » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Anyone???
DeirdreD

Return to Ireland