Limerick City Boundary Extension

Re: Limerick City Boundary Extension

Postby Griff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Cllr Mary Jackman asked why was the city extending outwards?------ Jaaaaaysus

"We should be looking in and taking over. In comparison to other Munster counties, Limerick's towns are much smaller. The environs help enormously to keep the county going. We have a better record in running our business,” said Cllr Jackman.---- says it all really ,doesnt it ???
Griff

Postby Tuborg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 am

zulutango wrote:Tuborg, that article is fascinating! It shows just how nervous the county councillors are getting. Do you still think that Gormley will rubber-stamp an extension once the committe reports? It's going to be difficult.

If the boundary committee recommends anything less than a full boundary extension, the report will have been a farce and a complete waste of time! However, it's the Minister that ultimately has the final say on the matter and I would be reasonably confident that he'll make the right decision!

Listening carefully to John Gormley's comments over the last year or so. Unlike his predecessor's, he hasn't been afraid to offer an opinion on the boundary question. He seems to recognise that the status quo cannot be maintained and that the issue needs to be tackled once and for all!

I hope he's also less likely to allow petty, small-minded parochialism to influence his decision!

Griff wrote:Cllr Mary Jackman asked why was the city extending outwards?------ Jaaaaaysus

"We should be looking in and taking over. In comparison to other Munster counties, Limerick's towns are much smaller. The environs help enormously to keep the county going. We have a better record in running our business,” said Cllr Jackman.---- says it all really ,doesnt it ???

It's an incredible comment alright isn't it?

Heres a thought! Maybe Limerick County Council should have actually concentrated more of it's time and energy on promoting and developing the county towns rather than piggybacking on the growth of Limerick City! :rolleyes:
Tuborg

Postby Griff » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 pm

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Denis-Brosnan-to-chair-new.6084637.jp

interesting the articles mentions 'this process will be swift with recommendations expected to be sent to Environment Minister John Gormley in the next three months.'...
but what will happen to them then - will John Gormley still be in govenrment next summer ?..

One thing that really annoys me about this debate - and maybe Im getting the wrong end of the stick here - but to me it is not about a city v county or in particular city council versus county council.. its about the region having a city whose population number reflects its size and not the number of people within a 60 year old political boundary.

Still think its a mistake trying to add in bits of Clare... Shannon banks , Westbury etc...
Griff

Postby Tuborg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 am

Griff wrote:http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Denis-Brosnan-to-chair-new.6084637.jp

One thing that really annoys me about this debate - and maybe Im getting the wrong end of the stick here - but to me it is not about a city v county or in particular city council versus county council.. its about the region having a city whose population number reflects its size and not the number of people within a 60 year old political boundary.

Let's just hope that the Government actually take Denis Brosnan's recommendations on board this time unlike what happened with the jobs task that he headed! :rolleyes:

I must admit, I've been astonished by the levels of ignorance, small mindedness and general nonsense I've encountered over this issue! I've actually heard people from the likes of Dooradoyle, Raheen etc claiming that if the city council "take over" the "county area" as they put it, "they''ll try and close down the crescent sc!" :eek: You just couldn't make this stuff up!

I actually wouldn't be surprised if one of the local county councillor's came up with that one! :o
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Traders stop traffic to protest about decline in fortunes of Limerick city centre (Limerick Leader)

By Nick Rabbitts

CITY traders have sent a message to Limerick City Council: enough is enough, it's time to stop the rot.
Angry and deeply frustrated traders brought traffic on O'Connell Street to a standstill this Thursday morning in protest at a number of issues which have seen footfall drastically decrease.

These include what they see as unfair parking fines, begging, drug abuse, the level of the commercial rate, complaints about litter and poor marketing of the city.

Following the demonstration, the City Council has moved to hold a meeting with the traders next Thursday afternoon, with Fine Gael's leader on the council Ger Fahy insisting no issue will be left untouched. Kieran Scullane of Aroma Coffee House said he is unable to pay his rates - and will be lucky to stay open for even a few more months if things do not improve.

Meanwhile, Tony Daley, who has been in business for 52 years in Limerick, claimed the City Council has taken its eye off the city centre.

But Cllr Fahy has insisted the traders' concerns are being listened to - and that next week's meeting is a result of this.

Speaking on O'Connell Street this Thursday morning, Eleanor O'Brien of the Limerick City Business Association - who has worked in the city since the age of 17 - says trade has reached an all-time low.

"The city has been expected to produce and provide all these years, and you get nothing back. Shops in the city centre are providing more employment than anywhere else in Limerick, yet we are paying the highest dividend for that. We need the City Council to take us seriously - it's their job. We are paying their wages," she told the Limerick Leader.

Problems with begging, a lack of a garda presence, and people taking drugs on Limerick's city streets were also major bones of contention for traders.

Ms O'Brien added: "There is an immediate remedy to begging on the street. We need a garda presence. We are told by the gardai that the crime rate is down in Limerick, but I think sometimes this is not the case. We are not being listened to, or attended to quickly enough. If these people are on the streets, why are they not being removed? It's a disturbance. You are not allowed to drink on the streets - why are you allowed to take drugs? The reason for this is there is no garda presence - they know they will get away with it."

Some very legitimate concerns expressed there that nobody could argue with!

I was actually talking to someone who attended a meeting between city centre retailers and the City Council last week. According to him, there was some stinging criticism levelled at the council who were accused of being in denial over the magnitude of the problem!

The clown Kevin Kiely took particular exception to some of the comments and basically accused retailers of exaggerating! :mad:

He also walked out of the meeting well before it concluded!
Tuborg

Postby zulutango » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 am

more ráiméis from Cathal Crowe (Fianna Fáil)

‘Not an inch’ says Clare, but Green councillor disagrees
Written by John O'Shaughnessy
Monday, 19 April 2010 07:54

‘NOT AN INCH’. No, not the often quoted words of Rev. Ian Paisley, but rather members of Clare County Council to Government proposals to allow Limerick City Council to encroach into part of county Clare.

At a special meeting of Clare County Council this week, Cllr Cathal Crowe told colleagues that he had no faith in Limerick City Council to administer any part of his native Clare.

He claimed that Limerick only saw the dollar signs by extending their boundary to such places as Raheen and Dooradoyle.

Cllr Crowe described Limerick City Council as pathetic and going nowhere.

“They should not be allowed to take an inch”.

He won the support of Independent councillor James Breen, and Fine Gael’s Joe Arkins, alleged that Limerick City Council had ghettoised social housing in Limerick.

Meanwhile, Fianna Fail’s PJ Kelly said Limerick’s pushing for a boundary extension was because of the financial misadventure and failure of Limerick City Council.

The Green’s Brian Meaney failed to weigh in behind those opposed to the plan, arguing that the region needed a strong midwest and a vibrant Limerick, if it was to prosper.

Another meeting has been arranged for this Thursday to discuss the issue further.

A Limerick Local Government Committee was set up by Minister John Gormley earlier this year to make recommendations on what he referred to as the most appropriate local government arrangements for Limerick.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1671:not-an-inch-says-clare-but-green-councillor-disagrees&catid=37:local-news&Itemid=60
zulutango

Postby Tuborg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:04 am

A decision on this issue just can't come soon enough really. Although it is kind of entertaining listening to those village idiots embarrassing themselves on a regular basis. :)

I have been listening carefully to Tony Killeen's comments over the last while. I feared he would be a bit of a parish pumper and nothing I've heard so far changes that view. It's clear he takes a fairly primative & parochial stance on the boundary issue. Hardly surprising really I suppose. He can't be seen to be angering the good people of the Republic of Clare now can he? :rolleyes:

Boundary could ‘dissipate energy’, Minister claims (Limerick Independent)

THE Minster for Defence, Tony Killeen has told the Limerick Independent that the promotion of the Mid-West for foreign investors would not be enhanced by where the location of the boundary between Limerick and Clare lies. Minister Kileen, the only voice at the Cabinet table for this region, said he had heard lots of speculation about the controversial boundary, but that he found it “very difficult to rationalise” how the location of the boundary might be central to any positive direction for growth in the local economy.

“Even if we’re looking in the context of the document that is being released today. It’d be very hard to see how the location of the boundary would impact on the capacity to have positive outcomes arising out of the report’s recommendations. One of the things that would worry me is that we would dissipate an enormous amount of energy and effort and time in pursuing issues like the boundary issue, when there are very clearly a whole lot of other major issues in the area of job creation and related areas-the airport and so on and so forth-that we really should be concentrating our efforts on,” Minster Killeen added.
Tuborg

Postby Griff » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Tuborg wrote:A decision on this issue just can't come soon enough really. Although it is kind of entertaining listening to those village idiots embarrassing themselves on a regular basis. :)

I have been listening carefully to Tony Killeen's comments over the last while. I feared he would be a bit of a parish pumper and nothing I've heard so far changes that view. It's clear he takes a fairly primative & parochial stance on the boundary issue. Hardly surprising really I suppose. He can't be seen to be angering the good people of the Republic of Clare now can he? :rolleyes:

I read a bit of Matthew Potters book about the history of Limerick Corporation - interesting stuff - Ill have to buy the book next time im in OMahoneys!... whats funny about the 'not an inch' attitude is that much of the area that LCC are looking to expand into in Co Clare was actually part of Limerick city from 1600 up to 1841 !!... prior to that there was no County Clare ( or Limerick for that matter)... the city of Limerick had control/governance over its hinterland - the agricultural area around the city - this area on the north of the Shannon stretched out to Cratloe and beyond. A civil servant in Dublin redrew the boundary in 1841 under instruction to reduce the city boroughs of Ireland back to where the streets and buildings stopped. The north Liberties were absorbed into Clare and the south Liberties into county Limerick.No where has this reduction had more impact than Limerick due to its proximity to a neighbouring county - perhaps Waterford which has a similar headache with Kilkenny. So the poor people of Cratloe and Meelick are being denied their Limerickness!...What is sickening is the claims from politicians in Clare and Limerick Co.Co. that LCC only want to expand because they want more money ... of course this is partly true - but its not as if the 2 other authorities havnt been treating Limerick like an ATM machine for years - cashing in but doing sweet FA for the city.Whats galling is the amount of peripheral development allowed by the county council - sucking the life out of the city. Im no great fan of LCC and some of whats been built in town is truly horrible - but I for one would like to see the 'welcome to Limerick city' sign back in its original spot... around Setrights..
Griff

Postby Tuborg » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:23 am

If I had my way, County Councils would be abolished along with the giant junket that is passed off as local representation!

They are a hugely inefficient and wasteful means of local governance. While the county boundary element just serves to reinforce a parochial and small minded mentality. This failure to see the bigger picture is been illustrated very clearly at the moment in the debate over the Limerick City boundary.

Ideally local governance would be rationalised and administered on a regional/provincial basis. Although the major urban areas would still require their own dedicated authorities.

Unfortunately though, such a radical shake-up would result in a lot less jobs for the boys so that makes it a total non-runner! :rolleyes:
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Tue May 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Plan to unify Clare, Limerick councils (Irish Times)

FRANK McDONALD and GORDON DEEGAN

RADICAL PROPOSALS to extend Limerick city’s boundary and replace Clare, Limerick and north Tipperary county councils with a unified regional authority have been made by An Taisce.

In a submission to the boundary committee appointed by Minister for the Environment John Gormley, the Limerick branch of An Taisce argues that replacing the three existing “hinterland local authorities” with a single authority would lead to cost savings.

“A unified hinterland authority combined with an expanded city would have the benefit of replacing four authorities with two and place the hinterland on a more equal footing with the city while also directing it towards the city that forms its core,” it says.

Adopting Limerick County Council’s proposal for a unified authority covering both the city and county would “weaken the focus of any new combined authority, given the different nature of the problems faced by an urban, suburban and rural populations”.

Instead, the submission proposes that the Limerick city boundary should be extended to encompass all of the contiguous suburban areas such as Castletroy and Dooradoyle (currently in Co Limerick) and Caherdavin and Parteen in Co Clare.

“We suggest that in addition to an enlarged city area, a new mid- west authority could be formed out of a merger of Clare-Limerick county and north Tipperary,” An Taisce says. “This would provide the significant savings called for in the McCarthy report.

“In making our submission, we believe that any extension or revisions to the boundary of the city and surrounding county-based local authorities should be done in such a way as not to require substantial revisiting for a generation,” it adds.

In its submission to the boundary committee, Clare County Council said there was “no justification whatsoever” for extending the Limerick city boundary into Co Clare, which it described as a “distinct geographic area” which attracted strong loyalty.

At a special meeting last week to adopt the 20-page submission, Independent councillor James Breen declared “not an inch”, while Fine Gael councillor Johnny Flynn said the people of Limerick city were voting with their feet by choosing not to live inside the city council area.

Mayor of Limerick Kevin Kiely (FG) said such comments were “atrocious and inexcusable”. He confirmed that the city council’s submission would be seeking to take over parts of Co Clare, including Parteen, Meelick and Shannon Banks.

Clare councillors claimed that Mr Gormley, who was educated at St Munchin’s College in Limerick, was biased in favour of the city – a charge the Minister rejected as “completely unfounded” on his first visit to Co Clare since the boundary committee was set up.

Mr Gormley said he would act on the committee’s recommendations. “I am going to listen to what the experts say and I hope that there will be proper consultation with people in the area.”

Today is the deadline for making submissions to the boundary committee, which is chaired by Denis Brosnan, who also heads the Mid-West Regional Task Force. Its terms of reference include whether to extend the city’s boundary into Clare and Limerick.

Fr Pat Hogan, parish priest of Southill, one of Limerick’s most deprived areas, said “moving lines on the map may not really solve our problems, especially from where I live and work”. He added that people living there felt “betrayed” by Limerick City Council.

“Limerick’s bad press has far more to do with management’s neglect of some of the city’s now infamous areas,” he said, “so hopefully in a new structure some new way of exercising authority can be found that is more accountable, more connected to all the citizens.”

In full agreement with you Dan! (An Taisce) :)

It won’t be long now before the mudslinging really gets going.

We need some of the spirit from the early pioneering days of Shannon Development to get the Mid-West region back on track again.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Wed May 05, 2010 9:07 am

Limerick a city 'in danger of decline' (Irish Times)

GORDON DEEGAN

LIMERICK IS a city in danger of terminal decline and a boundary extension of the city into urban parts of Co Clare and Co Limerick should take place, according to the founding president of the University of Limerick (UL), Dr Ed Walsh.

Dr Walsh is one of three prominent Limerick educationalists demanding change to Limerick city’s governance.

In his submission to the Government-established committee to examine the future governance of Limerick city and county, Dr Walsh said Limerick was a weak city but had the potential to be a strong regional city of 100,000 if the boundary was extended to embrace the urban population and unitary governance was provided.

Dr Walsh also recommended that the councils of Limerick city and county should not be unified.

The closing date for submissions was yesterday.

The UL campus is located in lands in the Limerick County Council and Clare County Council areas.

In a separate submission, the current president of UL, Prof Don Barry, said: “Limerick city currently lacks a single vision.”

He added: “Plans for the improvement of quality of life are disjointed and in many cases one part of the city is competing with another . . . The university would urge the committee to make a clear and decisive recommendation . . . and the implementation of the plan must be the responsibility of a single body that is focused on the achievement of that plan.”

In his submission, the president of Mary Immaculate College, Prof Peadar Cremin, voiced his opposition to merging Limerick city and county councils as a solution.

“On the long-term strategic level, we believe that a significant extension of the boundary is vital if Limerick city is to fulfil its developmental role as a gateway city under the national spatial strategy.”

The closing date for submissions was yesterday.

So its endgame time for the Department of Environment to make a decision on this proposal / application which has been with them since October 2004!

Let common sense prevail!

40 GROUPS GIVE THEIR OPINION ON HOW LIMERICK SHOULD BE GOVERNED (live95fm)

40 groups have given their opinions about how Limerick should be governed.

The closing date for submissions to the Limerick Local Government Committee passed yesterday.

The five person committee will now compile a report for the Minister for the Environment John Gormley, who will then decide the future make up of local government in Limerick.

No date has been set for the final report to be submitted to the Minister.

Live95fm's Denis Tierney has more...(to hear audio, click the link below)

Members of the Limerick Local Government Committee will begin sifting through the 40 submissions today as the work to decide the future of Limerick's local authorities begins.

The Committee led by Denis Brosnan will examine the submissions received and meetings with selected groups are to be arranged as soon as possible.

All submissions will be available online.

Among the submissions are Limerick City Council who want an extension to the city boundary, with Limerick County Council calling for a single Limerick authority.

Limerick Chamber is calling for the best of both, with an extended city within a unified authority.

Clare County Council are not prepared 'to give an inch' but are calling for greater co-operation between the authorities, while An Taisce have submitted the most radical proposal.

They want to extend Limerick city and create one Regional Authority comprising of Counties Limerick, Clare and North Tipperary.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Dan Sullivan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:02 pm

CologneMike wrote:In full agreement with you Dan! (An Taisce) :)

It won’t be long now before the mudslinging really gets going.

We need some of the spirit from the early pioneering days of Shannon Development to get the Mid-West region back on track again.

Thanks, I got plenty of mud slung in my direction after this came to light. I'm hopefully at this point that the boundary decision will be sensible and forward thinking.
Dan Sullivan

Postby Tuborg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:51 pm

The Limerick Leader is claiming that the Brosnan Report will recommend a single authority should govern Limerick City and County.

I personally don't see how this is going to help tackle the many and varied problems that Limerick City currently faces. By all means amalgamate the pointless and useless county councils in the region. But Limerick City needs it's own strong governing body given the complexity of the issues down here.

It's weak and indecisive governance that has got us into the current mess. I was beginning to think that we were finally starting to exhibit an appetite for substantial and meaningful change. But to be honest, this just smacks of yet another cowardly cop out! :rolleyes:

One local authority should govern all of Limerick, Denis Brosnan committee recommends

By Nick Rabbitts

THE large suburbs of Shannon Banks and Westbury in Co Clare are to be recommended for inclusion in a new single local authority covering Limerick city and county, the Limerick Leader understands.

The recommendations of the five-strong Limerick Local Government Committee set up by Minister John Gormley in February and chaired by businessman Denis Brosnan are also believed to include proposals for a directly elected mayor on a five-year term and a reduction in the number of Limerick councillors sitting on the new authority. This would not take effect until the next local elections, due in 2014.

It is is estimated that the group's proposals would bring cost savings of more than €2m.

In the coming days, Mr Brosnan - also the chairman of the Mid-West jobs task force - is expected to meet Local Government Minister Gormley to discuss its contents after which the report will go to cabinet for approval.

The recommendations of the boundary committee will be more enthusiastically greeted at County Hall than at Limerick City Council.

The submission to the Brosnan committee by the County Council endorsed the idea of one authority for all of Limerick, while City Hall had argued strongly in favour of a major boundary extension taking in Dooradoyle, Raheen and Castletroy, as well as the suburbs currently run by Clare County Council.

Tuborg

Postby zulutango » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:46 pm

if the Limerick Leader article is accurate, it would be a real missed opportunity, and likely not improve things very much at all.

We should be looking at a regional authority with a strong city council.

We should be looking for the Mid-West to be setting itself up to be the counter-weight to the Dublin metro region in the next 30 - 50 years. A unified regional authority with that focus is required.
zulutango

Postby teak » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Mr Brosnan's reported suggestion of a unified authority is hardly a surprise to anyone.
Not only is it one of the more obvious ways of dealing with a situation where two
entities have both a competitive and a cooperative relationship, but it is also the
same way in which he has managed such conflicts before.

While MD of Kerry Group, Mr Brosnan dealt with the strains between the usually
separate Sales & Marketing and Production functions by appointing one single
executive director over them both.

Best wait for the report before saying any more.
teak

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:51 pm

teak, it would also mean that of Ireland's cities, Limerick, the third largest (by total urban area), will be without a city authority, merely being run like a town in a county (not even that - don't some larger towns have a pseudo-council?).

It would in some ways be even worse - essentially Limerick Co. Co. mark II being able to even more milk the entire city for short-term gain to get money to keep county folk sweet.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby justnotbothered » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:38 am

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:teak, it would also mean that of Ireland's cities, Limerick, the third largest (by total urban area), will be without a city authority, merely being run like a town in a county (not even that - don't some larger towns have a pseudo-council?).

It would in some ways be even worse - essentially Limerick Co. Co. mark II being able to even more milk the entire city for short-term gain to get money to keep county folk sweet.

Would depend on how the new wards were designed. The population balance between urban and rural is virtually 50/50, with about 90,000 people in each.
justnotbothered

Postby justnotbothered » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:13 pm

Download the report from here
http://limericklgc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Limerick-LG-Committee-Report-2-Sept-2010.pdf

Seems quite far-reaching changes are proposed, one authority to rule us all! (queue Lord of the Rings music)
justnotbothered

Postby Dan Sullivan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:46 pm

I think a lot of the reaction has been unnecessarily negative. The boundary of the city will be extended to encompass what is the urban areas of the city and both local authorities will be replaced by a single authority (which to my mind looks more like a reversion to the remit of the old city). My reading of the document leads me to believe that the city and county will have separate area committees similar to those that operate at present in Dublin City council which will deal with the week to week issues that arise. In this way the "on the ground" stuff will be compartmentalised so that cllrs from Newcastle aren't talking about or have any input into footpaths in Corbally. And while the two beaucracy will remain the scope of the county element will be much reduced to the area outside the city boundary.

A 5 year Mayor, and the expression that the Dublin Mayoral executive could serve as a template for the Mid-West is also beneficial. Let's face it the 5 year Mayor will be the biggest political role outside being a minister open to anyone outside of the Dublin Mayoralty. I think the 2014 elections should allow the people some say in drawing up the short-list of who could be that Mayor, not a direct election but surely it shouldn't be down to party horse trading.
Dan Sullivan

Postby zulutango » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:22 pm

I agree with you, Dan. Having initially been against the proposal to amalgamate the city and county councils because it was a lost opportunity to implement a more significant administrative change, I since read the report, and am now fully infavour of the proposal.

It will, if implemented, be very good for the Mid-West region, be it Clare, Tipperary, Limerick City or County and we should all get behind it.

The trick is how do we get the politicians to take the lead on this. I attended the press conference and a number of city councillors who had not yet read the report were giving statements to the press saying it was not what they wanted. The press has run with those comments. It's time for a proper, less reactionary debate to begin. And the media have as much a role to play as the politicians.

The antics of Cathal Crowe (Fianna Fáil) were shameful from a person of his age and position. He is effectively trying to stand in the way of the region getting back up off it's feet, and his Clare compatriots should not thank him for that. This proposal is as good for Clare as it is for Limerick. That is a point that really needs to be driven home.
zulutango

Postby zulutango » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:33 pm

I came across this piece by Councillor Diarmuid Scully (Fine Gael) in the September issue of the Limerick Event Guide. It was written prior to the report being released, but it shows that Scully is at least understanding of the problem.

http://www.eightball.ie/onlinemag/ (page 21 of September 2010 issue)

"The Limerick Boundary Committee make their report on
the City/County boundary issue public this month. We
hand the Talking Point over to this issues feature writer, City
Councillor Diarmuid Scully, to discuss……

Later this month the report to John Gormley from the Limerick boundary
committee will be made public. While often presented as a pointless squabble
between local politicians, the issue of the boundary is the single most
important one affecting our city and the decision that the Minister makes will
have enormous implications in terms of jobs, investment and the quality of
all our lives.

The current truncated boundary does immense damage to our city. Half the
population of Limerick city (55,000 out of 110,000) officially live in county
Limerick. This false representation of reality damages our city in three ways:

1 Resources: The full financial resources of the city are not available
to be spent in the city. Every year Limerick County Council takes some €8
million more from the suburbs of the city then it spends there. This money
from the ratepayers of the greater city is used to provide services elsewhere
in rural county Limerick. The net effect of this annual transfer of funds from
urban to rural Limerick is that Limerick County Council is now the richest local
authority in the country, while Limerick city council is the second poorest
(after Donegal). We can see the ill effects of this annual plundering of the
city in our pot-holed roads and footpaths, in our dilapidated housing stock
and in the empty shops on our main city streets.

2 Social dumping: Limerick County Council provides no social
housing in its half of Limerick city. It provides no assistance to the homeless
and no public sports facilities of any kind. By refusing to accept its
responsibilities the county council has engineered a situation where all of the
socially disadvantaged areas in a city of 110,000 are concentrated in a small
geographic area. As a result Limerick is now the most socially divided city
in Ireland.

3 Image: Limerick is a city of 110,000 people. We are the 3rd largest
city in the state. Everyone who lives here knows that, yet every guide to
Ireland from the national census, to Lonely Planet to the CIA factbook claims
that Limerick’s real population is just 55,000 and that we are the 4th largest
city in the state.

Limerick has the youngest population of any city in Ireland and has a higher
proportion of its population in fulltime third level education than anywhere
else in the country, yet officially we have the oldest population in Ireland and
the lowest level of educational attainment. Limerick’s has a moderate crime
problem – we are not the best, we are not the worst. In most years we have
less crime per head of population than Dublin and Waterford but more than
Cork and Galway, yet two national newspapers and one television station
took the crimes committed in the entire city and county (pop. 175,000),
divided them by the official population of the city (55,000) and created their
own figures for Limerick’s crime rate which were more than three times what
the Garda figures later turned out to be. The entirely false claim that Limerick
was the “murder capital of Europe” was based on these dodgy statistics.
The dodgy statistics were only possible because of the boundary.

The image the boundary gives of Limerick is of an old, tired, socially
disadvanaged and crime ridden small town, when in fact we are a young,
vibrant, striving, and safe city. But perception is often more important than
reality. The difficulties we face in attracting tourists, events and jobs to this
city are exacerbated by the negative image – an image that is bound up with
the boundary.

Diarmuid Scully"
zulutango

Postby CologneMike » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Denis Brosnan’s Committee recommendation to amalgamate the city and county councils, as well as bringing in the South East Clare suburbs of Westbury and Shannon Banks to a new unitary authority is maybe the second best solution under the task he received from the Department of Environment.

It is very much a compromised recommendation and definitely not the ideal solution for the city. The city of Limerick after years of fragmented administration by three local authorities needs to focus 100 % on itself for the coming decade. It has a lot to correct before it can positively contribute to the Mid-West-Region.

It seems they considered the Limerick County Council (population 85,000) without the suburbs of the city (Raheen, Dooradoyle, Castletroy) was not an appropriate solution. :confused: Oddly enough the North Tipperary County Council can operate with a population of 66,000.

"All that is doing is changing jerseys where we would make Limerick County very small. We didn't see any merit in taking this submission any further." (Limerick Leader)

However one would get the impression that he would have preferred to have done a report on the local government of the Mid-West-Region instead.

While proposals for a unified local authority have attracted criticism from many, the former Kerry Group chief executive said the group could have gone further, in bringing in a primary authority covering the whole of the region.

"We could have said the concept of a Limerick authority does not go far enough. We need a regional authority. We have Shannon Airport, we have the Shannon Estuary, we have Limerick City. These all belong to the region. We are entering the era where we need regional authorities. But we didn't feel Ireland was politically ready for that," he explained. (Limerick Leader)

Local government committee boss Denis Brosnan issues stark warning on jobs in Limerick (Limerick Leader)

Shannon Development wants urgent action on single authority for Limerick (Limerick Leader)

Local politicians express reservations about Denis Brosnan's proposals for Limerick (Limerick Leader)
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby zulutango » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Mike, Denis Brosnan accepted that it wasn't the ideal solution, but the committee had an eye to what Ireland was 'politically ready' for, and the jump to a regional authority (which is what he would like to see happen) was too much too soon.

In that light, I think they have come up with something that will ultimately lead towards a regional authority, and it's the best the Mid-West and Limerick can hope for right now.
zulutango

Postby Dan Sullivan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 pm

zulutango wrote:I agree with you, Dan. Having initially been against the proposal to amalgamate the city and county councils because it was a lost opportunity to implement a more significant administrative change, I since read the report, and am now fully infavour of the proposal.

It will, if implemented, be very good for the Mid-West region, be it Clare, Tipperary, Limerick City or County and we should all get behind it.

The trick is how do we get the politicians to take the lead on this. I attended the press conference and a number of city councillors who had not yet read the report were giving statements to the press saying it was not what they wanted. The press has run with those comments. It's time for a proper, less reactionary debate to begin. And the media have as much a role to play as the politicians.

The antics of Cathal Crowe (Fianna Fáil) were shameful from a person of his age and position. He is effectively trying to stand in the way of the region getting back up off it's feet, and his Clare compatriots should not thank him for that. This proposal is as good for Clare as it is for Limerick. That is a point that really needs to be driven home.

I'd say some people are now wishing cllr Cathal Crowe had kept his gob shut about renaming UL because part of it is on the Clare side of the river.
Dan Sullivan

Postby Dan Sullivan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 pm

CologneMike wrote:Denis Brosnan’s Committee recommendation to amalgamate the city and county councils, as well as bringing in the South East Clare suburbs of Westbury and Shannon Banks to a new unitary authority is maybe the second best solution under the task he received from the Department of Environment.

It is very much a compromised recommendation and definitely not the ideal solution for the city. The city of Limerick after years of fragmented administration by three local authorities needs to focus 100 % on itself for the coming decade. It has a lot to correct before it can positively contribute to the Mid-West-Region.

It seems they considered the Limerick County Council (population 85,000) without the suburbs of the city (Raheen, Dooradoyle, Castletroy) was not an appropriate solution. :confused: Oddly enough the North Tipperary County Council can operate with a population of 66,000.

However one would get the impression that he would have preferred to have done a report on the local government of the Mid-West-Region instead.

Local government committee boss Denis Brosnan issues stark warning on jobs in Limerick (Limerick Leader)

Shannon Development wants urgent action on single authority for Limerick (Limerick Leader)

Local politicians express reservations about Denis Brosnan's proposals for Limerick (Limerick Leader)

I got that impression too, fact is that a lot of the language in the reports mirrors what we were trying to drive at in our submission.
Dan Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland