Restoring vs new build

Restoring vs new build

Postby Jane'sThesis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Hello All,

I am a new member as of today, having had the idea to join, from some of many google searches. I am currently trying to carry out my masters thesis, catchily entitled, "the high number of derelict rural houses in Northern Ireland is an unharnessed resource, and a potential solution to unstutainable one off developments in the countryside....." and I also go on to discuss my belief that NI planning policy does not seem to do much to encourage sustainability through this type of development. I have come to a bit of a rut in my brainstorming and need a some fresh thoughts.

There seem to be a lot of people on this discussion site who have very intelligent opinions and I was wondering if any of you would care to give me some of your feedback on my topic. Any form of comment will probably be helpful, all will be appreciated.

Have any of you undertaken restoration of an old building and experienced any difficulty or found it to be a great success?

Kind Regards,

Jane
Jane'sThesis

Re: Restoring vs new build

Postby Dr. L Sanchez » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey,

Just read an interesting article earlier today in the construct Ireland magazine; it was about ghost estates and the problems with them in terms of being unsustainable. However the reasons for ghost estates being unsustainable could easily be the same reasons for derelict rural houses being unsustainable and also to a certain degree one off developments in the countryside. I suppose the next question is what you mean by unsustainable; it seems to be a buzz word used quite often that never really is defined. In the article they discuss sustainable in terms of economical, social and environmental and looked at these issues briefly.

Anyway I’d recommend checking out the article; unfortunately it goes completely against your hypotheses. Hope you find some use out it and best of luck with the thesis.
Dr. L Sanchez

Re: Restoring vs new build

Postby johnglas » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 pm

'Dr' Sanchez - unnecessary. 'Dr' johnglas!
johnglas

Return to Ireland