Costs over failed incinerator project not paid
Tuesday, 3 August 2010 19:15
The US company behind an unsuccessful incineration project in Co Dublin has failed to pay over â‚¬140,000 in costs arising from the planning hearing.
An Bord PleanÃ¡la had ordered the company Energy Answers to pay the costs following a lengthy oral hearing into the proposed Rathcoole incinerator.
The board turned down the project in February last year, ruling it posed an unacceptable risk of pollution because of the emission height, and also cited traffic concerns.
AdvertisementIt was hailed as a victory for people power as residents in Rathcoole had organised and raised funds to fight the incinerator beside the N7.
Energy Answers was ordered to pay An Bord PleanÃ¡la nearly â‚¬77,880, South Dublin County Council â‚¬15,000, Local residents â‚¬12,500, and developers and other property owners â‚¬37,000.
But none of these were paid, and local residents in particular are angry.
An Bord PleanÃ¡la said it is still pursuing its costs.
Local Green Party TD Paul Gogarty said Environment Minister John Gormley is considering laws that would ban companies which breach planning condition from future development.
Mr Gogarty also said An Bord PleanÃ¡la could have insisted on a larger up front payment from the US company.
Energy Answers declined to comment.
If I were a local resident I would serve a winding up petition as the company is clearly abusing the process