Country House

Country House

Postby tom ryan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi, I am thinking of building a large one off house in the country near a lake and have been looking through various architects websites. I found this image on a local architects website and its about the size I was considering. I was thinking of asking the architect if i could get planning for this house on my land.
Is this the correct route to take?
Attachments
9486Sketchup%20house.jpg
9486Sketchup%20house.jpg (64.2 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
tom ryan

Re: Country House

Postby what? » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:33 pm

this is the genuinely the worst building i have ever seen. its like someone got the trocal catalouge and the home bond book and made them mate, and then had an abortion.
what?

Postby tom ryan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:39 pm

I think its very modern looking and at the same time easy to build.
Would it be easier to get it through the planning system if you knew a person in the local authority, I know some of my friends have had aweful trouble getting planning for smaller bungalows.
I have a builder on site who has started the foundations based on a smaller country house type. Should I show him this image so he can start building this one or would i need drawings?
tom ryan

Postby Archidon » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:23 pm

You should honestly take the time for proper drawings to be completed. Even if you like the look of the house you have shown, there is no point spending such a large amount of money on a project that does not suit your needs, or fit properly into your site - and was designed for someone else.

Considering the amount of money you are about to invest you should talk to an architect you like (they don't have to be local!), and they will gladly take the time to answer a lot of your questions for free - its a buyers market, they need work. A good architect can address any planners concerns through pre-planning meetings, and make sure you get a home that suits your needs. Your site sounds wonderful and should have a home that compliments it.

It sounds like you have a potential good project, don't ruin it by rushing, engaging a builder without drawings or compromising on what you want - you will regret it.
Archidon

Postby damproof » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:46 pm

A horrendous looking giant one-off house in open countryside near a lake, builders on site working with no drawings, unauthorised development, talk of friends in the planning office???? Surely this is a troll looking to elicit an angry reaction from some poor on-edge archiseek innocent?
damproof

Postby tom ryan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I really like the house in the image and the wife thinks we are getting this one. The site is flat at the moment and i have started to clear all the trees from the site and am planning to build a mound similar to the one in the image where there will be a change in heights. There is a terrible cold breeze off the lake in the winter so hopefully the mound will block it out. Hopefully we wont need any planning meetings as I know someone fairly high up in the council.
tom ryan

Postby damproof » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:51 pm

ah you're having a laugh
damproof

Postby Tayto » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi,

You didn't say what country you're hoping to build this image. Is it a country that's very very far away?
I would also recommend consulting an engineer. The 2 flat-roofed elements could benefit hugely from the latest in Sky-hook technology.
Tayto

Postby tom ryan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks for all the comments some have been very helpful and others hurtful as I actually like the design and the modern look.
I might hold off on some of the work like the cladding and roof until I talk to a local architect and then get some planning drawings.
I was thinking of cladding the walls of the house in stone and maybe adding some columns for decoration do you think the planners would prefer this, I know most of them do as they are very conservative in the area when it comes to modern design.
tom ryan

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Enough trolling...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Irish Planning Matters