Developments in Cork

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby Pug » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:17 pm

Cork city council have issued a notice re a material contravention of the existing plan re a development by John Cleary in Mahon

Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 34(6) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 that Cork City Council intends to consider deciding to grant a permission for development at site at “Ballinure, Mahon, Cork”. The development will consist of an office development consisting of a total Gross Floor Area of 32,318 sq.m. in a series of three blocks with internal streets on lands at Ballinure, Mahon, Cork. The proposal will range from 2 floors over ground to 7 floors over ground with ground floor commercial uses comprising of Retail Units, Retail Offices, Showrooms/Commercial Units, Primary Care Centre and Financial Services Unit, Leisure Centre and Restaurant; these proposed units will front onto the Ring Mahon Road, internal Mahon Point Shopping Centre access road and Estuary Drive. The proposal also allows for commercial uses such as Café Bistro (located in the internal street), landscaping, access revisions at the Mahon Point Junction access, basement car parking over two levels, access to the basement car park off the Mahon Point Shopping Centre internal access;
access/egress to Estuary Drive from the basement at Ballinure, Mahon, Cork.
The proposed development would materially contravene Land-Use Zoning Objective 5 ‘Residential, Local Services and Institutional Uses’ of the Cork City Development Plan 2009-2015, the objective of which is to protect and provide for residential uses, local services, and institutional and civic uses.
Pug

Postby kite » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm

:oAmazing, a few months after ‘careful consideration’ and ‘public consultation’ the highly paid city officials and councillors feel the need to materiality contravene our “NEW” city development plan.
Wonder what ‘performance related bonus CCC officials will receive for this mis-management?
kite

Postby Oldsan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:43 pm

can anybody please tell me how to start a new thread its my first time as a member of archiseek... thanks
Oldsan

Postby jungle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 pm

You go to the sub-forum for which you want to create the topic.

In the case of Cork, this is

http://www.archiseek.com/content/forumdisplay.php?f=45

There's a button in the top left to create a new thread.

Some forums have a restriction on the ability of new members to create a thread. It's so long since I was new here that I can't remember if Archiseek is one of them!
jungle

Postby The K » Thu May 06, 2010 11:25 pm

I hear local Northside Councillors are pushing for a commercial type development on the site of T&A in Blackpool. I think they are thinking along the lines of a Lidl/Aldi development. I presume this could easily be done as the site is currently a commercial site? Parking would seem to be a problem though!!
The K

Postby classmyass » Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 am

hey anyone have pictures of this ???? lets see what they got lol
classmyass

Postby The Dynamo » Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Todays echo shows plans for a retail and commercial center on the old sunbeam site in Blackpool. Looks vey impressive if I say myself.
The Dynamo

Postby polaris68 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Does anyone know what the plan is for the Kingsley Hotel? It's been over 6 months and there's no sign of anything happening out there.
polaris68

Postby bunch » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am

i think there is a planning application submitted to use as retirement home/nursing home?
bunch

Postby who_me » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm

The Dynamo wrote:Todays echo shows plans for a retail and commercial center on the old sunbeam site in Blackpool. Looks vey impressive if I say myself.

I've seen some low-res elevations of this, but didn't see any renders. Does anyone have a link to any?

(the planning application number is 08/33476, if that helps)
who_me

Postby who_me » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:22 pm

A quick & small update:

- Beasley St. (the street that runs from Oliver Plunkett St. to the South Mall, parallel to Parnell Place) is currently being cobbled. It's still in progress, but it looks like they're doing a really nice job on it! I'm really wondering why though? It very, very infrequently used by vehicles or pedestrians. Does it indicate the quirky hotel development on that street is going to (finally) open? Would be great new too for the Lituanica store down that lane.

- The Cornmarket St. / Coal Quay development is progressing nicely; they've currently dug up as far as O'Brien's cafe on Daunt's Square. (Excellent news, given the previous condition of the road there).

- And a question: I'm sure this has been raised many times before, but has there ever been a concerted effort to promote the Shandon/Firkin Crane/Butter Museum area? It seems to me it's an underdeveloped and virtually unknown gem; right in the city centre.

who_me

Postby rofbp » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:51 pm

who_me wrote:- And a question: I'm sure this has been raised many times before, but has there ever been a concerted effort to promote the Shandon/Firkin Crane/Butter Museum area? It seems to me it's an underdeveloped and virtually unknown gem; right in the city centre.

last sunday's business post had a cork supplement. in it, the city manager was interviewed and i think he mentioned a tourism investment for the shandon area, and a geology museum, which would be developed in the north mon in conjunction with ucc.
i'm afraid i have recycled the paper, and it doesn't seem to be on their website, so i can't be more specific, sorry
rofbp

Postby who_me » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:52 pm

rofbp wrote:last sunday's business post had a cork supplement. in it, the city manager was interviewed and i think he mentioned a tourism investment for the shandon area, and a geology museum, which would be developed in the north mon in conjunction with ucc.
i'm afraid i have recycled the paper, and it doesn't seem to be on their website, so i can't be more specific, sorry

Edit - My apologies. The link posted was from June last year.
who_me

Postby who_me » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 pm

I haven't seen it mentioned, but work seems to have started on the Riverway Inns development on the South Mall (the former ACC bank, adjacent to the Peace Park).

This looks like a great development for the city centre, a bar restaurant with roof terrace by the Peace Park & boardwalk.

It's a very nice building, a lick o' paint and perhaps new windows and it could be great. Hopefully it won't require much change to the Peace Park.
who_me

Postby Yossarian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:26 pm

any images of this?
Yossarian

Postby barneymagee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:22 pm

who_me wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned, but work seems to have started on the Riverway Inns development on the South Mall (the former ACC bank, adjacent to the Peace Park).

This looks like a great development for the city centre, a bar restaurant with roof terrace by the Peace Park & boardwalk.

It's a very nice building, a lick o' paint and perhaps new windows and it could be great. Hopefully it won't require much change to the Peace Park.

There were pieces about this in the Echo and the Examiner. They plan to open in time for the Jazz in October. There will be a outdoor first floor deck overlooking the river. Inside it will be a ground floor bar and a first floor restaurant. Being done by the same guy behind the Sobber Lane across the river.

Also the Woodford is due to reopen some time in August. Good to see a prominent venue won't have to remain idle any longer.
barneymagee

Postby who_me » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Yossarian wrote:any images of this?

A couple of images in the planning application. This is a nice image of the building as it was, fado.. fado:

And this is a sketch of how it'll look (West elevation, from the Peace Park). I couldn't find better mock-ups.

who_me

Postby daniel_7 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Iv noticed people seem to have lost interest in the Cork threads which is a pity but for those who remain the city library site on the grand parade has been handed back to the city council as frinnalla have come into difficulties, which is a shame cause it would of been a really nice project to see getting off the ground to finish off the revamped grand parade along with the capitol cinema site and the murreys site next door (which was recently turned down by ABP!). Jo Gavin has said he sees the library site staying the way it is for the forseeable future but you would think developers who still have a working relationship with the banks such as OCP or maybe John Clearys first city centre site to be lining up for this one as its a prime site with massive potential backing onto the beamish & crawford site which heinekan have said they are going to develope as a tourist attraction. The beamish site for me is one of the most important in Cork in that I think there is great potential for a part tourist part commercial project with maybe a food and drinks hall to showcase what is meant to be Irelands culinery centre showcasing the local restaurants and locally produced food and drink like the lagers you would find in the fransicin well on the north mall aswell as a museam for beamishs and maybe a one stop shop tourist centre that could promote Cork and what it has to offer as most tourists just get off the plane or boat and head for kerry or up to the guiness storehouse. Its perfect, you could have a rooftop bar with people sampleing the local food and drink overlooking the city centre with views of St Finbarrs across the way aswell as Shandon etc. Just on something I mentioned earlier with regard to the murrey site on the grand parade, who else really gets sick of this ABP crowd? This to me seemed to be a sustainable development that was keeping with its surroundings and they still refused it when we should be pathing people on the back for trying to create employment in the times we are in and not only that but its just going to sit there vacent now I suppose for at least another year really making the main street in the city looking shabby and forgotten!
daniel_7

Postby daniel_7 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Just wondering with the news that fota retail park is to get a drive in cinema does anyone know when the finishing date for the whole development is as it has been under construction for a number of years now and anyone know about plans for the commuter station here and how concrete they are or the dunkettle station if anyone knows? Across the way I noticed Caseys have put up there site at the front of eastgate for sale after being refused again by ABP for whatever reason, just wondering are they planning now to stay in the city centre? also anyone have any pics of the recently approved plans for the millfield site in Blackpool (origanal plans were for a sixteen storey building) and any start date on construction here or in the nearby sunbeam site or on john clearys site in mahon where he was adament to get going but as of yet nothing has happened?
daniel_7

Postby jungle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:09 pm

The various states of the "planned" stations around Cork.

- Kilbarry - Planning permission sought. Process suspended due to lack of funds
- Dunkettle - Stcuk because of a land dispute between the NRA and Irish Rail/Cork County Council
- All others - No progress

I'd be interested to see what the ROI for Kilbarry is compared to some projects that are going ahead.
jungle

Postby Leesider » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Meanwhile a few billion can be thrown at the North Metro and DART in Dublin......what kind of shit politicans do we have down here!!!!
Leesider

Postby Crock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:24 pm

maybe the Monard sdz will improve the prospects of the station at kilbarry or blarney ... or monard. still a long way away though.
Crock

Postby daniel_7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Does anyone know whats being built at the start of the airport road on the left hand side travelling towards the airport?I heard a while back that there was a landmark building to be built around here but didnt think it was this site! Also, anyone know whats happening with the sunbeam site or the site next to it in blackpool, i thought they both passed planning and it was said at the time that construction would start straight away?And just a final thought, anyone here about a northside councillers idea of developing a kildare village style outlet centre development in blarney? Personally I think this is a brilliant idea that could really benifit blarney and cork from a general point of view but mainly as a tourist attraction (and I know a shopping development is not really a tourist attraction but what I mean is several councillers or chambers etc have been trying to put Cork forward as a short break destination and this would really help Cork in that regard). It would be perfect if it could be tied in with the opening of the train station in blarney and located nearby in a station square type of development similar to what is proposed for fota(also on this, does anyone know are they finishing that development or is it stalled for the foreseable future). I think this idea for blarney as well as a good solid proposal for the beamish site and of coarse the long awaited upgrade of kent station alone are developments that are long overdue in Cork not to mention many more and hopfully a change in government can really help this to change as the current government as far as im concerned were only all in it for there own good and could not care about what gos on outside Dublin!
daniel_7

Postby bunch » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:58 am

the airport hill site has no planning - the work on the site is not construction-related afaik. there were proposals for substantial landmark development but these did not progress very far. re; blackpool - both sunbeam and adjacent site have planning in place for large scale mixed use schemes, but i would be surprised if either proceed in the next 12 months. i do think they will be advanced however, but just not right now.

i have not heard of the northside counciller's idea of developing a kildare village style outlet centre development in blarney. i would not support this as it would have no positives for blarney or cork more generally. kildare village is very successful commercially, but i suspect that it operates in the following way - people drive down the M8 from Dublin - into kildare village - park-shop- leave - back on the M8 and home - there is little evidence of spin-off to kildare town centre, and if anything, it detarcts from the town centre's viability. in my opinion, a retail outley near blarney would probably have a negative impact on blarney's town centre and in all likelihood, compete with the woollen mills [and win]. i really think that in terms of tourism, we need to stop pushing tourists who arrive in the city out - the tourist attraction shouldn't be a fake retail village 'experience', it should be the authentic city centre itself. the economics of retail outlet centres is based on good value, and it encourages discount label-oriented shopping. these type of shoppers do not tend to make a weekend out of it and stay in the clarion - they drive and shop.

in my opinion, the most important developments for cork in the short term should be - kent station and an event centre in the city centre - both of these can contribute to transforming the image and impression of the city - the former shold be redeveloped as a major transortation hub with associated comemrcial, employment uses, while the event centre would address a huge defecit in terms of cultural capital and the city centre night time economy.
bunch

Postby lawyer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Site clearance work has started on the John Cleary Developments plot at Mahon Point.
I do not know how far work will progress.
Also site clearance work is in progress on the old Maritem buildings at Carrigaloe ( by the cross river ferry terminal).
Again, I dont know how far things will go.
At least, something is moving.
lawyer

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland