cork docklands

Re: cork docklands

Postby davea » Mon May 17, 2010 11:06 am

Surely if the NRA are objecting to development on the grounds that the roads can't handle it, that means it is time to fix the roads! Similar to the objections about the relocation of the port to Ringaskiddy, the road and rail links were too poor. No way can we fix those roads ! haha but lets built an unnecessary Metro for €5bn, wonderful!
I would quite like a Chinatown in Cork, a great bunch of lads.
davea

Postby PVC King » Mon May 17, 2010 11:15 am

Building a Luas line wouldn't cost much and given the development densities that would be acheivable in the area even a modest €5,000 per unit developed would meet a very susbstantial amount of the cost and ensure the ridership to make it viable. Cork has a real opportunity with its Docklands in the way that phases 1 and 2 of the IFSC brought a dockland wasteland firmly back in the city centre between 1990 and 2005. You get the feeling the NRA are just beating their drum because the North Ring was shelved; I'm waiting to see them object to the Irish Glass Bottle site in Dublin purely based on the sour grapes of the Eastern being shelved indefinitely. Real opportunity for Cork to grow really significant urban scale over the coming decade.
PVC King

Postby davea » Mon May 17, 2010 11:44 am

Unfortunately it seems that the only people who recognise that there is a real opportunity for Cork to develop significantly are Corkonians! In general Dublin seems to be the only place that the governement properly care about.
davea

Postby PVC King » Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am

I wouldn't say Dublin has got a great deal in terms of transport; there are plenty of roads to Dublin and the M50 but that aside transport infrastructure needs more work; but I would say that with some vision that plans in a phased and intergrated way; that Cork Docklands could be the real urban success story of this decade that delivers an environmentally freindly and sustainable mixed use extension of the City Centre.
PVC King

Postby cgcsb » Mon May 17, 2010 5:09 pm

davea wrote:In general Dublin seems to be the only place that the governement properly care about.

Lol, the government doesn't care about us. If they did they wouldn't have waisted €715m on the westlink toll bridge even though it's construction costs were only a fraction of that.
cgcsb

Postby green_jesus » Tue May 18, 2010 9:33 pm

who_me wrote:Any renders of the O'Callaghan proposal? I'd love to see it. Would be a great location for me (live about 50m away :) ).

If anything is ever to happen in the Docklands, then it'll probably require the city centre 'growing' out to it - such as the Lapp's Quay development, the Elysian, this proposed event centre (even the refurbishment of the Sextant) - rather than a big development at the other end far from the city, and hoping other developments fill in the gaps. Who'd want to live/work in the docklands as they currently stand?

From the Evening Echo Friday 30th Aprill 2010...

Proposed Events Centre

Existing Quay
green_jesus

Postby cgcsb » Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 pm

super, is there any money for this yet? with the slight pick up in the economy recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the project got some funds by late 2011. Does the planning permission have a short time limit?
cgcsb

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Wed May 19, 2010 1:09 am

I think that a lot could be done with Merchant's Quay, Patrick's Quay etc before moving out into the docks. As it stands the whole area is a dump and needs to be redeveloped.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby PVC King » Wed May 19, 2010 8:02 am

That is where a little carnage helps; clearing a shopping centre in a recession is that much easier. Whilst Merchants Quay could clearly do with a little help from the wrecking ball there is no doubt that if the country is serious about balanced regional development then Cork Docklands stands every chance of being fully redeveloped. Getting a proper public transport master plan in place would be a great start. Back to the carnage :(
PVC King

Postby who_me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:43 pm

green_jesus wrote:From the Evening Echo Friday 30th Aprill 2010...

Just spotted these now, much appreciated!

Not bad.. would need to see it from other angles though.
who_me

Postby who_me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:10 pm

At the moment, work seems to be underway in building a second 'pontoon' at Custom House Quay, right next to a similar one at Lapp's Quay. (In the river right across from the proposed event centre above).

Does anyone know anything about it, or the need for it? Is it because the DeValera bridge obstructs traffic (such as the Sea Safari)? Does this mean the Custom House Quay will now be open to the public?
who_me

Postby green_jesus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 pm

green_jesus

Postby lawyer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:43 am

http://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/newsarchive/id/6

This link should answer the question.
lawyer

Postby who_me » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replies!

This pontoon is more prominent than the one on Lapp's quay (it's more mid-channel due to leaving space for mooring on the inside), but it's a great addition to the city. There's a real buzz around that part of the city centre now.
who_me

Postby daniel_7 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:46 am

anyone have any info on developments that have some chance of getting of the the ground in the next 12-18 months in this area such as ocp andersons quay site and albert quay or the two sites across from city quarter?anyone know either what ever happened to treasury holdings plans for a site on patricks quay(next to penrose wharf) or plans for water st next to kent station, that was a bad refusal at the time that could of been a kick start for the docklands. any one hear did anyone bat an eyelid in dublin recently when there was calls for kent station to be finally redeveloped? this really is the project to get the docklands off the ground and im surprised ocp have not been involved in trying to develope the site as he does genuinely seem to have an affection for developing in his home city and the site has massive potential if turned around to face the river to incorperate a station square (as seen in previous plans) and could be the iceing on the cake for him personally when he retires!
daniel_7

Postby mickeydocs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:58 pm

OCP do not develop out of affection, just take a look at Merchant's Quay.
mickeydocs

Postby browser » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:05 pm

daniel_7 wrote:anyone have any info on developments that have some chance of getting of the the ground in the next 12-18 months in this area such as ocp andersons quay site and albert quay or the two sites across from city quarter?anyone know either what ever happened to treasury holdings plans for a site on patricks quay(next to penrose wharf) or plans for water st next to kent station, that was a bad refusal at the time that could of been a kick start for the docklands. any one hear did anyone bat an eyelid in dublin recently when there was calls for kent station to be finally redeveloped? this really is the project to get the docklands off the ground and im surprised ocp have not been involved in trying to develope the site as he does genuinely seem to have an affection for developing in his home city and the site has massive potential if turned around to face the river to incorperate a station square (as seen in previous plans) and could be the iceing on the cake for him personally when he retires!

Just a slight clarification - the development you talk of by Penrose Wharf was called the Treasury Building but had nothing to do with those charming, polite and all round nice guys, Messrs Barret and Ronan of Treasury Holdings. It was a proposed Kenny Homes development.
browser

Postby rofbp » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:43 pm

the park on the old showgrounds site has been discussed on the Pairc Ui Chaoimh thread, and i think we all agree the proposed sale of land in the showgrounds would totally spoil any efforts at creating a new park in that area.

on the scott tallon walker website, there are renders of a plan for the atlantic quarter. i'm unsure if they have been posted here before, but they include some views which encompass the showgrounds and pairc ui chaoimh.

not sure if they put much emphasis on their design for the park, since it was on land that they weren't employed on (i think), but they look interesting:
rofbp

Postby The Dynamo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Heard on Red FM news today something bout the plans for the docklands project been unviled, only caught it so didnt get the full piece, anyone have any information
The Dynamo

Postby Angry Rebel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:43 am

Not being pedantic, just clear, but it's not "the docklands project", merely one project within the docklands.

That said it's a big one! It's for Gerry Wycherley's Marina Commerical Park. Massive, lots of mixed space, Ford museum, marina etc etc etc. No proposed start date, submitting for planning today. I'd be confident it'll go ahead actually. Wycherley seems like a good operator, sensible. That business park is not overloaded with debt (like Howard purchases for example) and has paid for itself many times over I would think.
Angry Rebel

Postby ToMuchFreeTime » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 am

Interesting project. not sure what the time frame is or if there is anyone. it would be good if they had a website showing what they propose. Or have they? Link? I am one who would love to see this project go ahead as soon as, but realistic i think its not going to happen. there will still be problems raising money for this development specially when property prices are still falling. Also the fact that many business will have to be relocated will surly hold up the project for few years

What i find most interesting, is the proposed 'Ford Experience', I am very excited to find out more on this. Good to hear something like this been incorporated into the plan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

€750m Cork Marina project promises to create 1,200 jobs By Eoin English

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A MASSIVE €750 million regeneration project for one of the country’s most iconic industrial sites was unveiled last night with the promise of up to 1,200 construction jobs.

The redevelopment of the 24-acre Marina Commercial Park (MCP) in the heart of Cork city’s docklands is expected to create a further 5,000 jobs once completed.

It has the largest private river frontage in Cork city and has 500,000 square feet of buildings with 150 businesses on site, employing approximately 1,500 people.

MCP director Gerry Wycherley said he wants to establish a vibrant, socially inclusive community within the city’s south docklands, where people will live, work and enjoy their leisure time.

"We are confident that our proposed development will provide significant economic and employment benefit for the people of Cork into the future," he said.

The proposed development features:

* More than 800 apartments, providing homes for up to 2,230 people.

* A marina where they can park their boats.

* A range of community amenities.

* A visitor and science centre, the Ford Experience, which is expected to attract up to 300,000 visitors annually.

* A new central plaza to provide a hub for the community, including a creche and library.

City manager Joe Gavin said: "This 24-acre site is at the heart of Cork’s docklands and the announcement is a crucial step in realising Cork City Council’s vision for the whole docklands area."

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/750m-cork-marina-project-promises-to-create-1200-jobs-127563.html
ToMuchFreeTime

Postby who_me » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Interesting. Given the times we're in I'm always a bit dubious about how practical projects like these are, but if there is any whisper of an upturn, that's the time to get the ball rolling.

Funny how they include a shot of Atlantic Quarter in the article above. I guess it's an image of a "typical Cork dockland proposal". :)
who_me

Postby kite » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Yawn....this ’10 year permission’ will keep the ball rolling for another decade. Just goes to show, you can fool most of the people all of the time!
kite

Postby rofbp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 pm

here is a screen grab of the picture on the front of tonight's echo. the picture inside the paper was more interesting, but is not available online.

the ford museum sounds like a key element of the development, (and was visible in the inside-page image) and hopefully now that the ford motor company is emerging from its financial difficulties, they could contribute some old and new models for display
rofbp

Postby rofbp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:12 pm

[url=http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/kfcwqleyidql/]
second article from examiner about the development[/URL]
independent's article here (less info than examiner)
rofbp

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland