What Exactly is the Irish Architecture Foundation At?

What Exactly is the Irish Architecture Foundation At?

Postby onq » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 pm

http://www.architecturefoundation.ie/2008/10/24/become-a-patron/

The Irish Architecture Foundation is the only organisation in Ireland that communicates architecture to the general public. Since our inception in 2005 we have steadily built up a national and international reputation as an agency, which delivers a ground breaking and exciting programme about architecture and the built environment.

If, like us, you are passionate about architecture, perhaps you would consider helping us in our mission to bring it to a wider audience and realise its full potential to transform lives in Ireland, by becoming a patron of the organisation.

At the IAF we are proud of our success – a developing cultural organisation, which is hugely supported by local audiences, stakeholders and policy makers.

With your support, we look forward to affirming the IAF as the premiere cultural organisation in Ireland, delivering the best in education and public awareness projects, exhibitions and events, inviting international speakers to Ireland, delivering exhibitions with Irish architects abroad, presenting exciting events and cultivating a thriving culture of architecture in Ireland, one that everyone can enjoy and participate in.

Highlights of 2008 were; Open House Dublin, our biggest annual event which sees over 14,000 people taking to the streets to experience architecture; we also curated The Lives of Spaces, the Irish entry at the Venice Biennale, which received record visitors of 1000 people per week and 4500 targeted visitors to our web site during the opening week alone.

We now invite you to expand your involvement with the Irish Architecture Foundation by choosing to support us through our Patron Scheme - at whichever level suits you best.

There are three levels of Patronage:

Patron €3,500

Benefactor €1,000

Friend €500

Details:

Patron

€3,500 each year, renewed every 3 years

Benefits:

· Acknowledgement in IAF publications, at IAF events and on the IAF website as a Patron

· Invitations to a tailored programme consisting of curator-led exhibition tours of IAF exhibitions and other related exhibitions

· Invitations to all IAF openings

· Invitations to dinners with special guests from the world of architecture

· Invitations to breakfasts where policy issues are discussed with leading figures in the built environment

· Invitation to a specially organised trip to an international architectural event

Benefactor

€1,000 each year, renewed every 3 years

Benefits:

· Acknowledgement in IAF publications, at IAF events and on the IAF website as a Benefactor

· Tailored programme consisting of curator-led exhibition tours of IAF exhibitions and other related exhibitions

· Invitations to breakfasts where policy issues are discussed with leading figures in the built environment

Friend

€500 each year, renewed every 3 years

Benefits:

· Acknowledgement in IAF publications, at IAF events and on the IAF website as a Friend

All you have to do is contact Nathalie Weadick, Director at the IAF, director@architecturefoundation.ie or call 01 6768864, she would be delighted to meet with you and tell you more about the IAF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First there's this bit.

The Irish Architecture Foundation is the only organisation in Ireland that communicates architecture to the general public.

So we'll forget all about the Architectural Association of Ireland, which has been running since 1985.

http://architecturalassociation.ie/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there's this bit.

And just what do you have to do for this privilege?

Patron

Benefactor

Is it just me, or is it precisely this kind of cosy relationship between vested interests and the building sector that has led us to the current crisis?

Instead of ending the Designated Tax status for sites and introducing 40% Capital Gains Tax, too many people in De Tent would have been upset.

So now we're introducing breakfast glad handing for the richer members of the profession.

A premier class of architects keeping the business and influence for themselves.

Now what does that remind me of - oh yes.

The Building Control Act 2007.

Elitism as legislation.

This has to stop.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Re: What Exactly is the Irish Architecture Foundation At?

Postby wearnicehats » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:16 pm

onq wrote:This has to stop.

given those financial options open and the bollocks "benefits" that come with them, I very much doubt it's even going to start.
wearnicehats

Postby onq » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Apparently this has been going on for five years.

The BCA 2007 is proof that something has been going on solely to benefit the RIAI.

Read Keane's book Building and the Law if you want to see how it should have turned out.

Still, doesn't it say a lot about how lame we are that we've missed it for five years, that I've nothing better to do than write about it, or you've nothing better to do than reply.

Maybe its that we're committed to architecture.

Or perhaps we should be committed. :)

Righto - off to watch the mentalist!

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 am

Tostatusqouornottostatusko...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby onq » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Is that sort of a reverse Koyaanisqatsi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby Tayto » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm

It looks like more of a reference to the headbanger's fav Status Quo than to Phillip Glass.
Tayto

Postby gunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:51 pm

''Tostatusqouornottostatusko... ''

you just leave these things sit there, you don't analyse

onq wrote:From:

http://www.architecturefoundation.ie/2008/10/24/become-a-patron/

The Irish Architecture Foundation is the only organisation in Ireland that communicates architecture to the general public.

Then there's this bit.

And just what do you have to do for this privilege?

Patron

Benefactor

Is it just me, or is it precisely this kind of cosy relationship between vested interests and the building sector that has led us to the current crisis?

. . . . This has to stop.

ONQ.

Onq, you're desperate to start a fight with someone :)

The IAF do no harm to anyone, why pick on them? The IAF are just trying to connect architecture with the general public, which is an aspiration that is long overdue, and if some lonely soul wants to send €500 to Nathalie Weadick to become a 'friend' of her organisation in the process, who are we to judge them?

By the same token, if some SUV-driving developer type is persuaded to fork out three and a half grand [of deductable expenses] to get the opportunity to impart his considerable :rolleyes: insight at a power-breakfast, feck it, for that return, I'd even buy the bastard a bacon-egg-McMuffin.

'Open House' has been one of the best things to happen to Irish architecture in years. It might have been an idea lifted from elsewhere, but it has genuinely engaged with the public to a far greater extent than any previous initiatives that come to mind, and if we could sort out the insiders who seem to be able to block-book the most interesting venues and maybe expand the open times a bit, for those of use who might like to do more than one, then there's no reason 'Open House' can't be a continued success, you know, going forward.

Even the Open House debates are a bit of an annual highlight IMO, but then I suppose I don't get out much.

These IAF events are particularly useful because, for some reason, people seem to be extraordinarily reluctant to discuss architecture until suddenly they are confronted by some new concrete eyesore that they instantly conclude makes no attempt to connect with them, or anything that they feel connected to.

Maybe that IAF blurb that onq posted blows it's own trumpet a bit louder than is perhaps justified . . . for an outfit with an on-line discussion forum that attracts a new post about every three months . . . . but at least they're trying, which is more than the RIAI ever did.

On the subject of architectural discourse, are we deliberately not talking about the AAI awards this year, or is it just that nobody bothered going?
gunter
Old Master

Postby onq » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Gunter,

Pugnacious - moi? You wound me deeply...

Vehicles of connection can easily become vehicles of propaganda.
Propaganda is a means of exerting influence on the masses of the electorate and their representatives.
I think you are being deliberately naive if you think that the €3.5K is being forked out by builders to talk to John Grabby onitored by the IAF.

Get a grip!

Its far more likely to become a talking shop where wealthy architects have and hold the Minister's ear to influence government policy.
Which influence can best be seen these days in the RIAI/IAF-serving woridng of the Building COntrol Act 2007.
The Environment Minister's cosy relationship with Grabby and his new Design agenda isn't a co-incidence.

I agree that the Open House initiative is excellent work.
I think that Dr. Sandra O'Connell is a good public speaker and represents the IAF well.
Saw her open the lactures and spoke with her briefly at Plan Expo 2009 in the RDS last year - she was clued in and knew her brief.

But please check out the membership before you consider that the IAF is a separate organization from the RIAI.
It may be the Real RIAI or the Continuity RIAI of some Dissident RIAI, but its still the RIAI by another name.
It seems to be operating in competition with the AAI for some strange reason.

I was at the AAI awards the other night, got slagged off by Hugo Lamont in his speech because it wasn't accredited for CPD points and I STILL attended :)
Saw a lot of the people you see mentioned in the literature AND I bought the buke of the 25th AAI Awards, plus you got to see the full scale presentations of the works.
Place was flooded with 2nd years being pretentious, but it was good ot see them there, getting inducted into the process of competitions, which I think will come to the fore at the start of their careers in order to make a name for oneself in the New World Order of 2015.

FWIW

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:26 pm

. . . . . and what of the architecture?
gunter
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm

gunter wrote: . . . . but at least they're trying, which is more than the RIAI ever did.

Bit of a typo there :o

of course, that should have read:

. . . . which is exactly what the splendid people in the RIAI have been doing for years.

phew
gunter
Old Master

Postby onq » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm

gunter wrote:. . . . . and what of the architecture?

What?

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby onq » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

gunter wrote:Bit of a typo there :o

of course, that should have read:

. . . . which is exactly what the splendid people in the RIAI have been doing for years.

phew

What - a crawler?!

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm

onq wrote:What?
ONQ.

Don't hassle What?, if we get into a discussion on the AAI, there will likely be mention of O'D + T, and What? will enter the fray at that point.

Onq, you mentioned [in between name-drops] that you were at the launch of the AAI awards, I'm just trying to draw you out a bit. I'm hoping that, some day, you'll feel able to express your feelings about buildings.

Imagine for a moment that gunter is a top-of-the-range, two-hundred-dollar-an-hour, psychiatrist . . . and that you're a headcase.

Now relax on the archiseek couch and see if you can remember what you saw.

onq wrote:I was at the AAI awards the other night . . . . got to see the full scale presentations of the works.

That's good, you were at the AAI awards, there must have been a lot of excited people there and they would have been architects too, just like you, isn't that right? I imagine there were pictures on the walls . . . lots of pictures.

Now, what did the pictures show?

onq wrote:buildings
ONQ.

They showed buildings, that's right. Did you think they were pretty buildings?

. . . . or did these buildings make you angry? . . . Did the buildings fill you with envy?

It's OK, you can tell gunter
gunter
Old Master

Postby apelles » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:35 pm

ONQ as usual your just coming across as somewhat petty & immature. . And you'd do well not cross swords or try & tackle the vastly intellectually superior brain capacity of the one known as 'gunter'.;)
apelles

Postby onq » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:46 am

apelles wrote:ONQ as usual your just coming across as somewhat petty & immature. . And you'd do well not cross swords or try & tackle the vastly intellectually superior brain capacity of the one known as 'gunter'.;)

Capacity is a measure of quantity.

Punctuate before piss-taking or your unlikely to impress.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby onq » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:01 am

gunter wrote:Don't hassle What?, if we get into a discussion on the AAI, there will likely be mention of O'D + T, and What? will enter the fray at that point.

Onq, you mentioned [in between name-drops] that you were at the launch of the AAI awards, I'm just trying to draw you out a bit. I'm hoping that, some day, you'll feel able to express your feelings about buildings.

Imagine for a moment that gunter is a top-of-the-range, two-hundred-dollar-an-hour, psychiatrist . . . and that you're a headcase.

Now relax on the archiseek couch and see if you can remember what you saw.

That's good, you were at the AAI awards, there must have been a lot of excited people there and they would have been architects too, just like you, isn't that right? I imagine there were pictures on the walls . . . lots of pictures.

Now, what did the pictures show?

They showed buildings, that's right. Did you think they were pretty buildings?

. . . . or did these buildings make you angry? . . . Did the buildings fill you with envy?

It's OK, you can tell gunter

Okay Gunter.

You're posting pissed again.

I mean, you're posting on the Architect's Board and all you can fantasize about being is a psychiatrist?

What - no megalomania about running the RIAI and ruling the Profession?

Sit down beside me on this couch and tell us all about it.

You know you want to.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby gunter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:45 am

onq wrote:What - no megalomania about running the RIAI and ruling the Profession?

. . . Today 04:01 AM . .

Don't mind me, I'm just jotting down some notes :)

continue . . .
gunter
Old Master

Postby onq » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 pm

gunter wrote:. . . Today 04:01 AM . .

Don't mind me, I'm just jotting down some notes :)

continue . . .

I got my Tardis in IKEA.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon May 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I see the IAF are doing their Pecha Kucha thing again

[INDENT]The sixth and FINAL installment of Pecha Kucha Night Dublin will take place on Thursday 3rd June at the Sugar Club in Dublin!

As you know by now we invite a selection of the finest creative minds in Ireland to present to you - 20 slides each, 20 seconds per slide, 6 Minutes and 40 seconds and it’s done!

The final line-up of presenters will be announced shortly. Keep checking our website for updates.

Pecha Kucha Night Dublin is brought to you by the Irish Architecture Foundation and The Small Print.

http://www.architecturefoundation.ie
http://www.alwaysreadthesmallprint.com
http://www.pecha-kucha.org
[/INDENT]

Can we organize someone to go down to this one, . . . . we never get any feedback from these PK nights.

There must be someone young and spotty we could send?
gunter
Old Master

Return to Ireland