Alto Vetro, grand canal docks, dublin

Re: Alto Vetro, grand canal docks, dublin

Postby The Denouncer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Yes take a look yourself, building is empty no work taking place. They let 1 guy in to collect their tools. What a crying shame, it was starting to look the business.
The Denouncer

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:24 pm

The Denouncer wrote:Yes take a look yourself, building is empty no work taking place. They let 1 guy in to collect their tools. What a crying shame, it was starting to look the business.

strange that the architects weren't aware of it - unless they've been told to deny everything that is. one guy to collect tools for the whole building??????? must have been a wiry young buck
wearnicehats

Postby The Denouncer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:26 am

Yeah its all very strange..lets see what happens today.
The Denouncer

Postby mickmick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 pm

There were people working on it when i passed on the DART this morning
mickmick

Postby JoePublic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:15 pm

In related news I saw a crane moving over new Anglo headquarters yesterday and a few workers on it today

it hasn't received abp approval yet has it
JoePublic

Postby The Denouncer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Yes there is about 10 of the workers in there today I have been told
The Denouncer

Postby thebig C » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:04 pm

The seemed to be making progress lately. One side is even substantially glazed.
thebig C

Postby Andrew Duffy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:44 pm

There is the same amount of work going on on Montevetro today as there has been for the past few months, working slowly but steadily on glazing and fit out.

NAMA, like any other lender, would need a court order to repossess the security for a loan. It also strikes me as unlikely that a lender would seek to repossess and stop work on a substantially complete office building beside a DART station - something that stands a passable chance of earning enough to repay the loan in the near future if it is completed.
Andrew Duffy

Postby The Denouncer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:57 pm

The builders weren't allowed onto the site yesterday that is a fact they were all gather outside at the Spar in the morning talking about it, it was completely empty yesterday if you were around.
The Denouncer

Postby GrahamH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:15 am

The Denouncer wrote: they were all gather outside at the Spar in the morning

Sounds like business as usual to me :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Global Citizen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 am

darkman wrote:.........They should at least complete the facade to stop us ending up with another shell foreign journalists can gawk at to show what a state our property market is in.

Good point.
Newsnight (BBC2) and Channel 4 News seem to have endless footage of the doomed Anglo HQ which they reel out whenever they get the opportunity. Its getting annoying.
Global Citizen

Postby fergalr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am

Global Citizen wrote:Good point.
Newsnight (BBC2) and Channel 4 News seem to have endless footage of the doomed Anglo HQ which they reel out whenever the get the opportunity. Its getting annoying.

Lol I'd use it.If you want to sum up the financial collapse and the building bust in one image...
fergalr

Postby reddy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Global Citizen wrote:Good point.
Newsnight (BBC2) and Channel 4 News seem to have endless footage of the doomed Anglo HQ which they reel out whenever the get the opportunity. Its getting annoying.

There's been a fair bit of schadenfreude surrounding our plight across the water actually. We definitely don't want to give them another photo op!
reddy

Postby PVC King » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I totally agree; certain media elements in the UK seem to highlight the problems of corporate Ireland in a disproportionate manner to the sums involved. Leaving a half finished office building right next to a DART station would send out exactly the wrong message on planning grounds if nothing else. You would imagine that the warrantees go both ways on this so the lender will have to pay the contractor unless there is a clear defect in the construction; a scenario I very much doubt exists . If that funder is Anglo there would be no benefit to the taxpayer in paying out for an incomplete building. Looking at Google's recent results there may be some very localised demand.
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:12 pm

They might want to add the letters U and K to their sneering P I I G S acronym, though that would spoil their fun now wouldn't it, and perhaps a little too close to the truth for our British friends.
Peter Fitz

Postby The Denouncer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:18 pm

British guy was on Newstalk this morning and says we aren't one of the PIGS anymore! Man that's a relief. Presume Italy is the sole 'I'.
The Denouncer

Postby PVC King » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Italy never made the group; they declared a tax amnesty on foreign deposits and got €100bn into their collective over the table balance sheet and netted €5bn in taxes. Berlesconi may have his personal life episodes but he a very prudent economic manager.

Ireland it seems has left the group following some really hard budgets; one notes the very positive stance taken by the FT; it seems after being the model case according to many economists in the inflating the bubble phase; the country is now regarded as the model case in how to deal with the fallout.
PVC King

Postby The Denouncer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Superb news!
The Denouncer

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:20 pm

reddy wrote:There's been a fair bit of schadenfreude surrounding our plight across the water actually. We definitely don't want to give them another photo op!

maybe we should just implode it

or turn it into an arts project of some kind
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Global Citizen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Peter Fitz wrote:They might want to add the letters U and K to their sneering P I I G S acronym, though that would spoil their fun now wouldn't it, and perhaps a little too close to the truth for our British friends.

How about an acronym for France, United Kingdom, Estonia, Romania and Spain.;)
There's bound to be some negative connotation linking them all.
If only to make us feel a little bit smug again !
Global Citizen

Postby cgcsb » Mon May 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Is work still progressing? it'll be nice to have the tallest building in Ireland title taken back for dublin, Cork and Belfast had ideas above their stations.
cgcsb

Postby cgcsb » Mon May 17, 2010 7:12 pm

oh wait, I'm confusing this with the, yet to begin, aqua vetro. Never mind.
cgcsb

Postby Cathal Dunne » Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Yes, I had exams over in the RDS over the past few weeks and you get a good luck at Montevetro on the route over to it and every day I saw activity on-site. Cranes were moving and you could see workers on the top floors. NAMA or no NAMA, it should be completed and put on the market. It'd be great to see a company of the calibre of Google take it as their EMEA headquarters so that it doesn't become our very own version of the "Empty State Building".
Cathal Dunne

Postby mud hut! » Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 pm

cgcsb wrote:Is work still progressing? it'll be nice to have the tallest building in Ireland title taken back for dublin, Cork and Belfast had ideas above their stations.

Im afraid Belfast is way above its station with the Oble Tower at 28 stories 85 meters.Its just about finished too i hear.Alto Vetro is a poor ould stump at 60 meters sadly!:mad:
mud hut!

Postby cgcsb » Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 am

@mud hut!, I meant to say aqua vetro, is that still going ahead? As far as I know it was planned to be 80 something. I think Cork's Elysian is 81m also.
cgcsb

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland