Change to layout, Is Planning permission needed ?

Change to layout, Is Planning permission needed ?

Postby kkenny2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:01 pm

If i have planning permission for a dormer bunglow
and i wanted to change the back of it to a house and a half
do i need to apply for new permission ?
If i didn't get permission for the house and a half rear,
would the first permissiopn still be valid ?

Also if i added a basement while building would that need planning permission ?
kkenny2

Re: Change to layout, Is Planning permission needed ?

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:29 am

To answer your questions:

1 - Yes you would need planning permission.
2 - You would be in breach of your planning permission, i.e. the constructed development would not comply (with planning permission).
3 - You possibly would need planning permission for the basments, depends whether the space would be habiatble, etc. You should check that one with your Council.
DOC

Postby kkenny2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks DOC.
The second question i asked was meant to be this,
If i applied for new permission on the site
and changed the house plans at the rear from a dormer to a house and a half,
submitted the plans
and the council refused the permission (for what ever reason)
would the first permission (for the dormer) still be valid?

Sorry my points were not that clear.
kkenny2

Postby damproof » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:48 am

The basement should be included in your application for change of house plans as no doubt you will have included a section with your intitial application and any change to that will be contrary to condition no. 1 of that permission

The initial permission stands even if you get refused the change of house plans
damproof

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 pm

damproof wrote:The initial permission stands even if you get refused the change of house plans

Exactly - getting the permission for the house itself is the main 'battle' - once that has been established, an application for revisions is far more straightforwrd (from a planning point of view).
DOC

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi

The question you have is not as simple as it first seems and there are several correct answers. Firstly your basement would need planning permission and surprisingly many LA's do not like these and often refuse them. Also when constructing a basement you need to be more aware of fire even in a domestic situation.

The first part of your question can be answered in several ways depending upon the actual circumstances.

Firstly your initial permission will always remain regardless of any subsequent permissions you obtain, that is until you actually take one of them up and then unless the planning permissions can be merged you need to chose a horse to ride.

Depending upon the exact nature and extent of the permission sought and approved and any conditions placed on or restricting that permission such as no additional development regardless of exempted development allowances you may find that any additional development is a planning matter.

If there were no such restrictions it may be possible to complete the approval and immediately avail of exempted development allowances to arrive at the desired result.

Finally any internal alterations are exempted unless these alter the external appearance. Other than this I think you are back to the planners who once having approved a development are often open to amending it.
Solo

Postby onq » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:04 pm

Just to nail the basement thing, development is described as "works carried out on under or over the ground".

Basements are not classed as exempted development in the Planning and Development Regulations 2001

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html

See S. 9 Restrictions on exemption and Schedule 2 Part 1 Article 6 - Exempted Development - General.

Ergo, you will need permission - oddly enough I have seen one granted retention in Dun Laoghaire.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Return to Ireland