Murray O'Laoire

Re: Murray O'Laoire

Postby CologneMike » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Bren88 wrote:You also left out of of there more famous buildings in limerick, or is it a structure ;)

I think the only riverfront project I left out was the “Castle Lane” as it was kind of . . . forced upon them like?

Devin wrote:You simultaneously accorded her importance and dissed her there by embolding her name but spelling it wrong ;)

Arghhh . . . . . . sorry Marian, looks like I’ve been away a tad too long, over here Marion is the common form.

Hope none of my former Christian Brother teachers come on here and box my ears for leaving out a fada or two (Seán Ó Laoire).
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby gunter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:17 pm

CologneMike wrote:Hope none of my former Christian Brother teachers come on here and box my ears for leaving out a fada or two

LOL

They really were something else, weren't they? when the rest of the religious community seemed to be doing nothing but groping and fondling, the good old Christian Brothers were still out there boxing peoples' ears :)
gunter
Old Master

Postby Bren88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 am

CologneMike wrote:I think the only riverfront project I left out was the “Castle Lane” as it was kind of . . . forced upon them like?

[/B].

I specifically said "in Limerick" as opposed "on the river front". I know the point you were making, but was just giving them kudos for significant building (or structure) in Limerick.
Besides, its only about 1km from the river any way
Bren88

Postby wearnicehats » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:17 pm

throughout all of this downturn with established companies failing around us I wonder if we aren't getting lost in misty-eyed recollection of a dear departed relative; whether the whole debt issue is but a smoke screen. I know if I was one of the unfortunate employees of a successful firm that had ceased to trade I would be more interested in what happened to the vast profits a company of that ilk could have made during the boom. Profits that a company of that size should have made would, in theory, be more than enough to sustain a period of lesser productivity. Unless, of course, those profits were systematically harvested off leaving nothing but bare bones in the event of any market mishap. I might be cynical enough to see whether there may be a malpractice issue hidden deep in the core of it all. Just a general muse - not specific to any company
wearnicehats

Postby hell » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am

Speaking from the exerience of the practice in which I work (still employed, thankfully, although on a four-day week), we first felt the effects of the downturn in May 2008. That was when the government started cancelling jobs and decided to impose an 8% fee-cut on all contracts including ones where fees had already been agreed and the work mostly done.

Most offices have been whittling away at their savings since then, trying to stay afloat with little scraps of jobs despite being shafted by their banks (I know of one firm where their bank halfed their overdraft without any notice, forcing them to let staff go as they didn't have the cash flow to pay the monthly wage bill).

I would imagine that MOLA have been, like the rest of us, limping along on their savings for almost two years now but there's a limit to everything. As Seán O Laoire himself said, they have been throguh recessions before but nothing like this one.

Maybe I'm too willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but I really don't agree with the conspiracy theory tone of some of the previous posts.

As far as I'm concerned, the real enemy is our worse-than-useless, corrupt, cronyist, sit-on-their-hands government. I don't care if there is no viable alternative in sight - just let's get those useless idiots OUT!!!!!!!
hell

Postby tommyt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Architects left debts of over €10m
11 April 2010 By Ian Kehoe

Murray O’Laoire, the award winning firm of architects that closed down last month, has left debts of more than €10 million.

The company was involved in a number of high-profile projects, including Thomond Park stadium and the CIT Cork School of Music.

The figure includes more than €3 million owed to the Revenue in outstanding taxes.

A liquidator was appointed last Friday to wind up the company, which blamed its collapse on the decline in the construction sector and a marked rise in bad debts.

Brian McEnery, a partner with accountancy firm Horwarth Bastow Charleton in Limerick, was appointed liquidator at a meeting of the firm’s creditors. According to its statement of affairs, the company has total debts of €10 million and realisable assets of €1 million, leaving it with a cash deficiency of €9 million.

The directors of the company, including company founder Sean O’Laoire, are owed €1.2 million. The Revenue is a preferential creditor for €1million, and an unsecured creditor for a further €2million.Several quantity surveyors and trade suppliers are also owed money.

Murray O’Laoire employed 127 people with offices in Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Slovakia, Russia, Germany, Libya, Barbados and Abu Dhabi. It recently made 40 staff redundant.

The firm was also part of a consortium bidding to build the Metro North light-rail system, and was involved in the National Children’s Hospital project and the proposed colocated hospital in Limerick.

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/architects-left-debts-of-over-10m-48535.html
tommyt

Postby onq » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:33 pm

hell wrote:(snip)
As far as I'm concerned, the real enemy is our worse-than-useless, corrupt, cronyist, sit-on-their-hands government. I don't care if there is no viable alternative in sight - just let's get those useless idiots OUT!!!!!!!

Speaking with a dyed-in-the-wool Fianna Fáil-supporting developer this afternoon even he had to admit that the government's policies were largely to blame for what has occurred in the Irish economy and the building industry.

This was from a guy who actively supported the prolongation of the 20% capital gains tax [as oposed to the 40% level once mooted] so the water hasn't sunk so deep that he recognises his own voice in the tent at Galway as promoting those same policies.

But both of us agreed that there is no-one on the opposition benches that suggests a credible alternative government and thus we are left with this least worst option running the country on a daily basis.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby parka » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 pm

It's strange how companies are disappearing.

All the UK companies seem to be pulling out now too. I see Buro Happold have gone insolvent.
parka

Previous

Return to Ireland