Trinity College Dublin

Re: Trinity College Dublin

Postby notjim » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:05 pm

lostexpectation wrote:Work starts on new TCD building
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1207/breaking59.htm

huh?

Yes, isn't it the stupidest press release ever:

"Trinity College Turns the Sod for New Building on Fellows Square"

where "turns the sod" means builds two lift shafts, bolts together the metal frame and puts about half of the prefab elevation in place.
notjim

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Council bid to scupper Trinity's new wing
By Cormac Murphy

Thursday January 14 2010

Trinity College's plan for a new student building has suffered a setback after city councillors rejected it.

It comes despite the proposal winning approval from heritage body An Taisce.

Councillors on south east area committee have recommended that planners throw out the scheme

The Trinity board had requested the go-ahead for the redevelopment of Luce Hall to provide 4,400sqm of student facilities.

If granted approval it will comprise a four-storey over- basement building fronting on to Pearse Street with a setback terrace on the third floor containing society rooms, a library and student bar.

An Taisce welcomed the plan, saying the proposal is an important one "on account of the prominence of the site within Trinity College and the city generally".

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/council-bid-to-scupper-trinitys-new-wing-2013486.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby notjim » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:46 am

The passage from Front Square to the Provost's House.

notjim

Postby notjim » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Talk about the new Long Room Hub building, details below:

‘Explaining the Trinity Long Room Hub Building’

A talk by the architects Valerie Mulvin and Niall McCullough.

The architects responsible for the new arts and humanities building in Fellows’ Square of Trinity College will explain the vision behind their design.

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Room 5033, Arts Building.

5.00pm to 6.30 pm.

All welcome.
notjim

Postby Cathal Dunne » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:13 pm

How did you get into the Provost's Garden, notjim? Are you the Provost?

It's really annoying that the council rejected the planned Student Centre. It does have An Taisce support and it has significant amenity value. Given that lesser institutions like UCD and NUIG can manage to have student centres, the Dublin University should be able to manage it. The building work would also create a lot of jobs and the building itself would improve the character of Pearse St.
Cathal Dunne

Postby notjim » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 pm

Cathal Dunne wrote: Are you the Provost?

Not yet Cathal, not yet.

The picture isn't quite from the Provost's garden though and anyone not at TCD can loose interest now: there is a small piece of land between the side of the Provost's Garden and the passageway to the Provost's House, you get to it through Hse 1 and it contains a prefab which used to be the staff office and now contains the Equality Office, the office of the Keeper of the Pictures and that sort of thing.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Student Center planning has been rejected, though it has gone to further information, I think the only thing that has happened is the normally slightly batty planning committee on the Council has come out against it: for better or worse, better probably, the decision is not made by the planning committee, made up of elected councillors, it is made by the planners, unelected professionals, with democratic control coming through the development plans and such like. In short, it's not a positive sign re planning, but it isn't a rejection by any means.
notjim

Postby GrahamH » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Great pic notjim. Must check out around there ;)

I see the West Front facing College Green is being fully illuminated this week for the first time in well over three years, being almost entirely in darkness for the past year and a patchworked shambles for an eternity prior to that. Indeed, I don't ever recall the scheme being properly maintained.

It is quite the shock to see the facade glowering over College Green after the fall of darkness. It adds an entirely new dimension to the city's living room, drawing a direct reference to the Bank of Ireland's beautifully lit curved screen walls across the road - itself a much underrated scheme by virtue of its flawless subtlety - while also making for a new focal point when approaching from Dame Street.

Sadly, need it even be mentioned what the glaringly predictable problem is. To use some choice Dublineese, "jaysus Maryyy, not more bloody arrennge"!!!

*sigh*

So near, yet so far.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:Council bid to scupper Trinity's new wing
By Cormac Murphy

Thursday January 14 2010

Trinity College's plan for a new student building has suffered a setback after city councillors rejected it.

It comes despite the proposal winning approval from heritage body An Taisce.

Councillors on south east area committee have recommended that planners throw out the scheme

The Trinity board had requested the go-ahead for the redevelopment of Luce Hall to provide 4,400sqm of student facilities.

If granted approval it will comprise a four-storey over- basement building fronting on to Pearse Street with a setback terrace on the third floor containing society rooms, a library and student bar.

An Taisce welcomed the plan, saying the proposal is an important one "on account of the prominence of the site within Trinity College and the city generally".

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/council-bid-to-scupper-trinitys-new-wing-2013486.html
Poorly reported piece by the Herald.

This proposal did not win "approval from heritage body An Taisce", nor did An Taisce welcome "the plan" as a whole.

An Taisce welcomed the revision which would see the retention and repair the five protected structures 183-187 Pearse Street, relative to the previous proposal on the site which sought to demolish the five protected structures (Ref. 1781/05), subject to assessment of the proposal with regard to development plan provision (AT's submission is available on the CC's site - Ref. 4269/0).

The City Council have requested additional information on the proposal, which almost exclusively precedes a decision to grant permission.

An Taisce maintains an appeal right in regard to the proposed development.
Devin
Old Master

Postby gunter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:03 am

Scaffolding is coming down on the Long-Room-Hub building

I don't think these photographs are really doing this justice.To make a 'block' look this refined, using the same crappy 40mm stone veneer that everyone else uses, is some achievement. I thought the off-set windows and the 'look you can't see the floors' trick was going to appear as contrived here as it does on the Dept. of Finance building, but it just seems to be so well done that you just want to smile.

I'm not sure about all the boxes on the roof, or how that big corner entrance is going to pan out, but so far, so good, imo.
gunter
Old Master

Postby gunter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:40 am

What's the general verdict?

How does this work on the inside? Is there a deeper meaning in this or is it just composition for composition's sake?

If you ran a Tesco scanner over the barcode fenestration, would the building say something?

Anyone got any answers?
gunter
Old Master

Postby reddy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:06 pm

The stone's a beautiful colour - matches the Berkeley quite well.

These fenestration patterns are beginning to get me down but the detailing is so crisp.

Looks good so far.
reddy

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:41 pm

I think it looks well - like you say the detailing is crisp - but there's some subtlety there that you won't get in the cheap knock-offs.

And its doing its bit to mask the extra storey on the arts block, which I don't like from this side.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby what? » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:41 pm

oh my god. this bears a pale but striking resemblance to department of finance, but with a level of refinement missing.

If I were graftons id be calling up the copyright enforcer round about now.

at least the formal shifts in the facade of dept. of finance had an underlying reason. this just feels pointless and willful.

it does have a nice proportion when viewed from the berkeley, but thats like saying alto vetro is a good piece of architecture by virtue of its (given) proportion.
what?

Postby gunter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:34 pm

what? wrote:. . . . a pale but striking resemblance to department of finance, but with a level of refinement missing.

I don't know, I see this the other way round. If anything this redeems the Dept. of Finance building, by giving it a role as the clumsy progenitor of the type.

At least the Long-Room-Hub seems to know what it wants to be: some kind of stone faced precious object with all the architectural expression subservient to, and dependant on, the simple, well defined, form . . . almost in the classical temple tradition. The Dept. of Finance block, on the other hand, doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be a public building, or a streetscape building, . . . . a defined block important enough to be set apart, or a piece of infill. That uncertainty of form, together with the aggressive domination of the Huguenot cemetery, the questionable spatial priorities, the dodgy proportions of the street facade and the cluttered railing/gates at the otherwise minimalist entrance, all mark the Dept. of Finance building down, in my opinion.

what? wrote:If I were graftons id be calling up the copyright enforcer round about now.

and then what, call Peter Zumthor up as an expert witness?

what? wrote:. . . . the formal shifts in the facade . . . . .

''formal shifts'' :) You just lap this stuff up, don't you?
gunter
Old Master

Postby Cathal Dunne » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 am

It's looking good. The building is a lot better than I imagined it would be. It's a lot smaller than I expected and fits in very well in Fellow's Square. It's a fine addition and a brilliant new amenity which will give the arts more space in Trinity. With the Naughton Institute and Biosciences development favouring the Sciences, it's only fair that the Humanities get a new building too.
Cathal Dunne

Postby what? » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:29 pm

gunter wrote:''formal shifts'' :) You just lap this stuff up, don't you?

gunter, I rather lap the original up than a second-rate vesion by a has-been practice
what?

Postby notjim » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:44 pm

The scaffolding has also come off the Biosciences building on Pearse St, it needs a better decent photographer to take pictures but in the meantime:

and, showing the set back

PS - if a better photographer is around, the new wheelchair ramps in New Square are worth a look too.
notjim

Postby gunter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:55 am

Re: The Long Room Hub

Paul Clerkin wrote:I think it looks well . . . . the detailing is crisp - but there's some subtlety there that you won't get in the cheap knock-offs.

Image Image

and as if to prove the point, along comes a cheap knock-off.

what? wrote:gunter, I rather lap the original up than a second-rate vesion by a has-been practice

I meant the architecture-speak, rather than the subject matter, what?

. . . . but on the subject matter, you could argue that the architectural language is derivitive and the expression lacks honesty [four storey buildings do have floors], but at least this is a building that doesn't hedge it's bets, at least it's a building that stands there confidently, not afraid to stand comparison with the Berkeley Library, Burgh's library and all that Trinity baggage.
gunter
Old Master

Postby notjim » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:53 am

The Pearse St buildings aren't as bad, or at least, as bad for Pearse St, as I feared, and I, of course, given my particular loyalties, am excited by the sheer amount of space involved, not least because it will free up space in the building where I am. That is not the same as saying they are good though.
notjim

Postby missarchi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:03 am

I'm sick of this pattern if this is the best i'm sick of this so called "full irish architecture"
I feel as if some drawings have been borrowed or appropriated.
This is the same stone detailing as the interconnector entrances?

Please no more box's and flat dull surfaces...

Design city 2011 world design 2014 don't hold your breath...

ornate and crime it's the only way...
The ubiquitous Ireland continues...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:50 pm

notjim wrote:The Pearse St buildings aren't as bad, or at least, as bad for Pearse St, as I feared, and I, of course, given my particular loyalties, am excited by the sheer amount of space involved, not least because it will free up space in the building where I am. That is not the same as saying they are good though.

You've got that right notjim. What Trinity needs is more space. The place is teeming with staff, students and tourists and it can be a bit claustrophobic in the Arts Block at times. The Long Room Hub and Biosciences Development will alleviate that. Perhaps this is where they're planning to put the extra 3,000 students by 2015.
Cathal Dunne

Postby gunter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:18 pm

A couple more [fairly recent] shots of the 'Long Room Hub' building:

'crisp' detailing for sure, as reddy said, I imagine the awards committee of the AAI are already wetting themselves with this one.

In due course, I expect the citations are going to invite us to enjoy - lets get the wording right here - the planar qualities of the sheer granite facades, punctuated by deep rhythmical voids of vertical glazing, or some such.

Having said that, it's not immediately clear how the rain is supposed to conduct itself off the planar facades without the granite being streaked with weathering stains from all the little ledges and recesses :rolleyes:

I do still like it though :)
gunter
Old Master

Postby thebig C » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Personally, I find that the long room hub on its own is quite a good building. However, I do think it detracts from the "little Library". Looming up behind its well proportioned companion it is just too fussy and contributes to a perspective were the buildings due to their similar stonework almost blend into an undistuinguishable mass.

In my opinion if it had been cited on another narrow restricted site on the campus it might have worked better. I would have suggested the car park between the cricket pitch and the Nassau St/South Leinster St railings. At least in this position it wouldn't be overshading anything, could be seen it its own glory and might mercyfully have blocked views of the horrid Setanta Centre!

On the buildings style, I do conceed that there are now several similar buildings in Dublin. I think its lamentable that some architectural practices in Dublin are fairly lazy as regards where they refine look and draw inspiration. In contrast, if you look up various threads on skyscrapercities, you will find some amazing buildings in places like Lithuania, Estonia and Czech Republic that seem to far eclipse Ireland in terms of design and integrity!

C
thebig C

Postby notjim » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:35 pm

It makes the 1937 Reading Room disappear and I think that's completely intentional; the 1937 Reading Room is widely regarded as being in completely the wrong place and the Long Room Hub is trying to hide that. There were no other sites within the Arts/Humanities section of the College, it is now policy to cluster cognate disciplines; the gap between College Park and Nassau St would have been close enough but that would be a big step, changing the setting of the Park cutting off the view of College Park from Nassau St and altering Nassau St's character as a classic one-sided street. A big step, one that will presumably be taken eventually, but probably in the context of a much larger development.
notjim

Postby thebig C » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:00 pm

notjim wrote:It makes the 1937 Reading Room disappear and I think that's completely intentional; the 1937 Reading Room is widely regarded as being in completely the wrong place and the Long Room Hub is trying to hide that. There were no other sites within the Arts/Humanities section of the College, it is now policy to cluster cognate disciplines; the gap between College Park and Nassau St would have been close enough but that would be a big step, changing the setting of the Park cutting off the view of College Park from Nassau St and altering Nassau St's character as a classic one-sided street. A big step, one that will presumably be taken eventually, but probably in the context of a much larger development.

Some cojent points there nj. You seem to be clued in as regards the thinking in Trinity. As regards the College Park/Nassau St site, well given that the exterior wall is approx 4-5 feet tall and there are always busses parked along the perimeter, the view of the park from Nassau St aren't spectacular. Also, one of the aspects that makes the little square outside the Arts Block so delightful is its enclosed private feeling. College park is big enough so that issues of overshadowing won't arise.

In relation to the Reading Room, it occured to me after I had posted, that if Trinity absolutely had to shovel a building behind it....a better choice might have been a glass cube a-la the old EBS HQ on Westmorland St, or some of the newer Miesian style blocks found arond the South Docks. I think if this had been the style used its benefits would have been two fold. The glazed exterior would have provided more then enough interior light for environmental reasons. But also, its simplistic facade instead of adding to the surplus of detail, would have framed the reading room and highlighted its particular exquisitness, which small buildings sometimes exude.

C
thebig C

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland