Yes that's it, Satrastar. Such a grevious loss to the city of a totally unique interior. As Jeremy Williams describes in his regularly guffaw-inducing critiques of Irish Victoriana in A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland: 1837-1921
"Only the facade survives here after a fire (in 1990) that destroyed a triple-galleried cast-iron interior built by the Congregationalists in 1862 to accommodate hundreds of worshippers who never materialised, so that the Plymouth Brethren who took over the church in recent years confined their services to the crypt. The architect was Alfred Gresham Jones, who a year before had designed the Dublin Exhibition Crystal Palace, long since destroyed, like the prototype for this church, the Metropolitan Tabernacle in Stoke Newington. Its most remarkable feature was the conoid vaulting upholding the galleries that swirled round the central elliptical void illuminated by a skylight of amber glass ‘to suggest to the worshippers the continuous radiance of heaven’. The retention of the attenuated Italianate facade cannot compensate for our loss of this celestial imitation. However, the building’s recent re-emergence as a Grand Hotel with walls of Austrian yellow has restored theatricality to the exterior."
Apparently the hall held 2000 people. I'm sure the Irish Architectural Archive have photographs of the interior - well worth a look. The '80s hangover fitout by Arthur Gibney and Partners of 1993, with stunted bits n bobs of fibrous plaster classicim, 'Kings and Queens' lavatories, and shudder-inducing basement suites named after illustrious architects of 18th century Dublin, do not quite make up for its loss either.
Jeremy Williams is of course spot on with his 'Austrian yellow' - now the principal delight of the building. Quite the little opera house. Satrastar's photograph is revealing in showing us the gospel hall in its original state, with apparently untreated, bare rendered walls in the sparse Methodist tradition, and the notable absence of its lead-clad chateau-style roof as sympathetically designed a-new by Gibneys, as well as its rather underwhelmingly-scaled cupola sited atop its boxy base. Presumably the three plinths visible below hosted statuary at one point.
Designed by Alfred Gresham Jones, a promoter of flouncy Victorian classisicm with his retinue of effete public buildings, churches and grand private houses, he appears to have introduced a dash of English influence to Dublin architectural proceedings. His most famous work just down the road - the Dublin Exhibition Palace of 1865 - was of a classical style similar to the above Merrion Hall.
PVC windows were shamefully installed in the roof in 2005. Illegal of course in a Protected Structure, but sure let the O'Callaghan Group wallow in their own ignorance.