The Canadian Museum for Human Rights

World architecture... what's happening generally....

S+P

Postby ChristianHebert » Wed May 19, 2004 12:42 pm

If you like Saucier + Perrotte buildings, check out this web site. It’s a live cam on the Perimeter Institute construction site in Waterloo.

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/about/facilities/future.cfm
ChristianHebert

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed May 19, 2004 5:12 pm

I like that.... the research offices resemble a stack of shipping containers erratically stacked.... looks very good....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MG » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:42 pm

Winner announced yet?
MG

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:08 pm

no, but rumour has it that it is Antoine Predock Architect – USA

http://canada.archiseek.com/unbuilt/manitoba/winnipeg/cmfhr/antoine_predock_architect/index.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

news

Postby spike » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:30 pm

I love the Predock design. I'm not sure that anyone remembers but in the call for applications, one of the componants was to be a "freedom tower". The Predock design was the only one of the finalists that had a tower at all. Being from Winnipeg I have a great interest in how this project unfolds. When it was first announced I had hoped for a very tall stucture that would be the dominant feature and could be seen from any place on the perimeter highway as a beacon of human rights, calling people to visit and learn.
From the beginning this was the only design that jumped out at me. I am not an architect but I do have an appreciation for fine art and the relationship it has with human habitation.
I am curious as to any news as I am chomping at the bit to hear the winning design, it is way past the announcement deadline of July 1 (Canada Day).
Thnxx........
spike

Re: The Canadian Museum for Human Rights

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:33 am

Predock Wins Canadian Museum for Human Rights Architectural Design Competition
Archiseek.com

Amidst a thousand cheering supporters in Winnipeg's Centennial Concert Hall, Friends of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights Inc. today announced Antoine Predock as the winner of the International Architectural Design Competition for the Canadian Museum for Human Rights...

Chosen by an international Architectural Review Committee (ARC) comprising architects, distinguished Canadian public servants and representatives of Friends of Canadian Museum for Human Rights Inc., the design was seen by the committee as one that "could fulfill the objectives for an inspirational building that achieves a complexity relating to the diversity of human experience."

Antoine Predock graduated with a Masters degree in architecture from Columbia University in 1962, and in 2001, he was conferred honorary doctoral degrees by the University of Minnesota as well as the University of New Mexico. He has taught in numerous prestigious universities in Italy, Argentina as well as Harvard University, Southern California Institute of Architecture and UCLA in the United States. Antoine Predock has won many awards for his work, including the Rome Prize of the American Academy in Rome, National Honor Awards from the American Institute of Architecture (AIA), international design awards as well as the Gran Premio Internacional de Arquitectura de Buenos Aires. Antoine Predock Architect was recently announced the competition winner for the new National Palace Museum in Taiwan.

Illustrations
http://canada.archiseek.com/news/2005/000115.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:28 am

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MG » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:14 pm

You were spot on with the rumour ! Can this live up to the CGI? Is the imminent general election going to put the kybosh on this? Questions, questions, questions.....
MG

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Update:

Fun and games ensue, with rising costs and Gail Asper begging for more money from the taxpayer, but thinking she can do so while being totally unaccountable for how the money is being spent. The newest blog entry by Winnipeg Sun columnest Tom Brodbeck on the subject is found here: http://blog.canoe.ca/raisinghell/2009/12/22/human_rights_museum_should_open_its_book#comments

One of the neatest things is a live camera of the building site, found here:
http://www.humanrightsmuseum.ca/weekly-1-minute-video-updates

As of this morning, this is what the site looks like:
Attachments
Canadian Museum for Human Rights.jpg
Canadian Museum for Human Rights.jpg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Glenn

Previous

Return to World Architecture