Post boxes

Re: Post boxes

Postby ctesiphon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Pilear wrote:one of those hexagonal boxs was out in bray near the garda station until about a month ago when a council van backed into it smashing it to bits

What a shame. :( I don't suppose you know if they kept it or have plans to reinstate it? (Long shot, I know.) Maybe if I offer them a few quid...

Still, I can cross it off my list all the same. I think that means there's only one left to find.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Got this the other day- Everything you ever wanted to know...etc. I guess that's one less book I have to write. ;)

http://www.associatededitions.ie/books.html#Postbox
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby KerryBog2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm quite certain that box has also been photographed by me - I've got it on a 35mm slide. It is located on the southern shore of the Beara Peninsula and is on a cut-down telegraph pole sticking up through a hedge.
Annoyingly my scanner does not have carriers for flim or transparencies.
KB2
KerryBog2

Postby Service charge » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Well, An post continue to be a bunch of c**ts.

This beauty on Dartmouth Square, was mentioned in the Dublin City Council Conservation Area Plan: "An attractive Victorian cast iron pillar post box is located on the south side of the square and should be protected".

And in its place given us this:

Seriously, what is wrong with this country? Does any give a f**k?

I understand they are closing post boxes for costs, but could this box not be preserved as a drop box instead of that ugly yoke?
Service charge

Previous

Return to Ireland