Brother Michael Augustine O'Riordan

Re: Brother Michael Augustine O'Riordan

Postby Praxiteles » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Other eamples of Jesuit architect/religious are:

- Philippe Lemair SJ (1608-1671), born in Flanders, a shipbuilder who entered the Society of Jesus in Brazil and turned to church building in Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay.

- Johann Kraus (1664-1714) born in Pilsen in Bohemia went to Argentina as an architect of the Company of Jesus.

- Peter Weger (1693-1733) from the Upper German Province of the Society of Jesus went to Argentina as an architect of the Company of Jesus.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:30 am

In the Polish province of the Company of Jesus:

- Pawel GIZYCKI, SJ (1692-1762)

Arctect for the church and college of St Ignatius and St. Stanislaus Kostka in Krzemieniec
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:02 pm

This is one of thefirst examples of the serliana gateways to be used in England. It was designed by Inigo Jones in 1610 as part of a stage set for a masque entitled Oberon: The Fairy Prince.
Attachments
scansione0001.jpg
scansione0001.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Inigo Jones

The Queen's Chapel at St. James' Palace. It combines a domestic exterior with a temple interior. The foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1623 as part of the conditions of the marriage contract of Dauphine of France, Henrietta Maria, to Charles I for the assurance of the free practice of her (Catholic) religion. Jones based the ceiling on the coffered ceiling of the reproduction of the Temple of the Sun and Moon (The Temple of Venus and Rome) in Palladio's Book IV of the Quattro Libri.

The pediment of the Queen's Chapel is based on earlier designs by Inigo Jones for the Prince's lodgings at Newmarket 16-18-19 and demolished under Cromwell.

In his book Palladio and Palladianism Robert Tavernor seem to confuse the serliana altar piece of the East end of the Queen's chapel with a Venetian window - which he says is "the first time this motof was built in a design by Jones" (p.130). The pictures are (I think) by Caracci.

Has anyone any pictures of the present interior of the Queen's chapel?

And can anyone confirm for me that the Queen's chapel has (or had) a retrosacristy?
Attachments
The Queen's Chapel, St. James' Palace.jpg
The Queen's Chapel, St. James' Palace.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Buhlmann's 1913 reconstruction of the Temple of Venus and Rome
Attachments
Temple-of-Venus-and-Roma1.jpg
Temple-of-Venus-and-Roma1.jpg (45.84 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 pm

The emains fo the Temple of Venus and Rome
Attachments
Tempio_di_Venere_e_Roma_-_abside_-_antmoose.jpg
Tempio_di_Venere_e_Roma_-_abside_-_antmoose.jpg (19.89 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Andrea Palladio's reconstruction of the Temple of Venus and Rome as published in his Quattro Libri of 1570 adn depicting the coffers used by Inigo Jones as models for the ceiling of the Queen's Chapel..
Attachments
Palladio Bk IV capX Temp VenusandRome.JPG
Palladio Bk IV capX Temp VenusandRome.JPG (51.05 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:43 pm

The proscenium arch of the Teatro Olimpico at Vicenza built by Andrea Palladio and Vincenso Scamozzi between 1580-1585 - based on the Arch of Constantine in Rome.
Attachments
800px-Teatro_olimpico.jpg
800px-Teatro_olimpico.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 pm

The Church of the Sacred heart, Lemlara, Co. Cork
Attachments
March 2008001a.JPG
March 2008001a.JPG (58.49 KiB) Viewed 6010 times
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Inigo Jones

The Queen's Chapel at St. James' Palace. It combines a domestic exterior with a temple interior. The foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1623 as part of the conditions of the marriage contract of Dauphine of France, Henrietta Maria, to Charles I for the assurance of the free practice of her (Catholic) religion. Jones based the ceiling on the coffered ceiling of the reproduction of the Temple of the Sun and Moon (The Temple of Venus and Rome) in Palladio's Book IV of the Quattro Libri.

The pediment of the Queen's Chapel is based on earlier designs by Inigo Jones for the Prince's lodgings at Newmarket 16-18-19 and demolished under Cromwell.

In his book Palladio and Palladianism Robert Tavernor seem to confuse the serliana altar piece of the East end of the Queen's chapel with a Venetian window - which he says is "the first time this motof was built in a design by Jones" (p.130). The pictures are (I think) by Caracci.

And can anyone confirm for me that the Queen's chapel has (or had) a retrosacristy?

Concerning the Queen's Chpel, W. Maziere Brady in his Annals of the Catholic Hierarchy in England and Scotland A.D. 1585-1876 (1877) quotes a section of the Memoire kept by Gregorio Pazani, an Oratorian chosen by Cardinal Barberini to be an unofficial Papal agent in England assigned to the court of Queen Henrietta Maria. Panzani mentions: "On her arrival in England, her Majesty, Queen Henrietta, in conformity with the stipulations effected by aid of your Holiness, opened, besides her own private chapel, another, a public one, wherein by the Fathers of the Oratory at first, and afterwards by the Capuchins in their habits, were recited the Divine Offices, and Masss were said and Sacraments administered. At these services, the King and all his Court are present upon the high festival days, with notable edification. In this chapel the Divine Offices are celebrated with aid of excellent music, and it is incredible what good effect is produced on the congregations, not only by the beautiful ornament of the chapel and altar, and the correct performance of the ecclesiactical ceremonies, but also by the sermons delivered by the Capuchins, and occasionally by the Queen's Almoner, the Bishop of Angouleme".
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby kennethrcade » Thu May 14, 2009 5:38 am

I have come into possession of an original water color of Black Rock Church. It is titled "Black Rock Church, County of Cork, Ireland. Struck by lightning on the 29th of January 1836". Would you be interested in seeing a photograph of the watercolor?
Kenneth Cade
23795 Cade's Cove Road
Chandler, TX, USA
kennethcade@embarqmail.com
Feel free to email me direct.
kennethrcade

Postby gunter » Thu May 14, 2009 3:56 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Re: Inigo Jones

I don't know exactly how recent this is, it's from David Watkin's 'English Architecture', T&H World of Art series. Not sure what a retrosacristy is :confused:

ImageImage

Sorry about the grainy scans! I think there's quite a nice similarity between the Queen's Chapel and Old St, Fin Barre's (lifted from Irish 18th Century Stuccowork and it's European Sources) from a century later.
gunter
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Thu May 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Gunter, this is brilliant!

The Chapel, as it is, was refurbished by Sir Christopher Wrenn after 1660 for Queen Catherine, Charles II consort. The chapel was buit for Catholic worship by Inigo Jones as part of the marriage contract of Queen Marie Henriette (de France). It continued as a place of Catholic worship until the death of Queen Catherine c. 1720 - although she had long returned to Portugal her establishment (Somerset House) continued.

Note the two doors at either side of the sancturay - whicha re prescribed for the ceremonies of High Mass. The ministers come by the door on the left and leave by the door on the right - thereby completing an anti-clockwise circle, symbol of purification since Roman times.

Also, what appears to be a gellery behind the Altar, which, if so, is a direct reference to Palladio's arrangement of the Chapel of the Ospadelatto in Venice. Indeed, this arrangement by Palladio is the direct source for all of these sanctuary and altar arrangements.

The similarities with old St Finnbarr's in Cork is not an accident. It was rebuilt early in the 18th. century following the bombardment of the city during the Williamite seige. The "Italian" style made its appearence in Cork c. 1710 with the building of the New Exchange Building and with the rebuilding of several churches replaced or rebuilt in the first half of the 18th century. Many of these were again replaced in Gothic idiom in the 19th century. But, St Mary's Shandon which dates form c. 1730s still has its Palladian form and its tower, up to recently, had its classical urns at all atsges until they were taken down recently adn replaced on only two of the stages in common concrete.

By retrosacristy, we mean that because, among other things, of the double door requirement in the sanctuary, the sacristy is built on to the east wall and is to be found immediately behind the altar. In Gothic churches, the sacrist is located to the north or south side of the sanctuary. In some early perpendiicular neo-Gothic churches of the 1820s and 1830 (and in some cases later) the classical retroscaristy incongruently survived, or else, two sacristies were built at either side of the sanctuary.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby themonboys » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi guys, great thread. Could anyone tell me if Brother Michael Augustine O'Riordan desigened any of the building in the North Monastery? I'm guessing maybe the old Primary school that was knocked down in the 1940/50's?
themonboys

Postby Praxiteles » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:21 pm

themonboys wrote:Hi guys, great thread. Could anyone tell me if Brother Michael Augustine O'Riordan desigened any of the building in the North Monastery? I'm guessing maybe the old Primary school that was knocked down in the 1940/50's?

Not at all impossible. Do you have any pictures? A schooll built by him in Cobh was knocked down a few years ago with the permission of the enlightened Town Council.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby themonboys » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Not at all impossible. Do you have any pictures? A schooll built by him in Cobh was knocked down a few years ago with the permission of the enlightened Town Council.

This is the only picture I've ever seen of the old primary school in the Mon. It was reluctantly knocked down in the late 40's or early 50's because it was crumbling and beyond salvation. It was over 100 years old at that stage so it would of been late in Brother Riordan life if he did do the plans for it.

After doing a little reading on his style I found this

"Some “trademark” features common to his churches were the placing of large holy water fonts facing outwards on the front façade and having twin doors at either side of the Altar leading to the sacristy area."
http://iefamily.ie/History.html

and it reminded me of the Brother Burke building with isn't Brother Riordan work ( it was built in 1909 i believe) but maybe done in his style. I think there's holy water fonts just behind the gates and the twin doors. Anyone else see it or am I barking up the wrong tree?

themonboys

Postby Praxiteles » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 pm

The reference to twin Holy Water fonts is from an article done in the 1970s and published in the Cork Evening Echo (?) by the then City architect. While useful, Praxiteles would not put too much store in the "characteristic" of twin holy warter fonts - they also feature, for example, in Fermoy which is an E.W. Pugin facade (1867) and in Buttevant which is Charles Cottrell (1832) and are both neo-gothic.

Characteristic of O'Riordan's churches are the types: elaborate triangular monocameral (eg. Doneraile), T shaped (Kinsale, Skibbereen, and Dunmanway), simple monocameral village (CastletownKinneagh and Ballyhea) and a more articulate version of the same (Killavullen possibly Inchigeela). All are strictly proportioned, the more elaborate having niches, pilasters, and finials of either pines or urns. Many of these features are derived fairly immediately from the published architectural studies of Serlio and Palladio.

The most important features of these churches are the Serliana altar pieces - elaborate retables usually in the Corinthian order, tripartite, containing a central High Altar flanked by two side altars, with two doors leading to and coming from a retrosacristy. The retables usually contained three pictures; a crucifixion over the high Altar, a picture of the Blessed Virgin on the right (or Gospel) side of the High Altar and the patron saint of the church on the other side.

Most unfortunately, Praxiteles believes than none of the surviving serliana altar pieces is in tact. Not infrequently, the High Altars were "upgraded" in the 19th century, sometimes the pictures have disappeared, in other cases the serilana has been demolished completely, in other cases the flanking altars were demolished in the post Vatican II iconoclasm. In practically all cases the carved altar rails have all disappeared.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Re the school building, it wouold be useful to compare this photograph with a photograph of the school built fo Bishop Coppinger in Cobh. You will find it on the thread dealing with the reorganisation and destuction of Irish Catholic Churches.
Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby themonboys » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Praxiteles wrote:Re the school building, it wouold be useful to compare this photograph with a photograph of the school built fo Bishop Coppinger in Cobh. You will find it on the thread dealing with the reorganisation and destuction of Irish Catholic Churches.

I've searched for the picture of the school in Cobh but was unable to locate it.
themonboys

Postby Praxiteles » Mon May 24, 2010 4:18 pm

St Patrick's Church, Dunmanway,

Exterior post 1870 ante 1914:

Interior same perior:

Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon May 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Kinsale posi 1880 ante 1914

Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon May 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Millstreet, Co Cork

Originl facade post 1870 ante 1914

and an earlier image:

Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon May 24, 2010 5:05 pm

St Petrick's Pro-Cathedral Church, Skibbereen, Co. Cork

post 1883/84 ante 1914

The following photographs show G.E. Ashlin's alteratrions to the original design. These included the construction of a romanesque apse, a new sanctuary, and the building of arches in front of the galleries (as the photograph shows, the pillars of the arches were built right in front of the original galleries).

Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon May 24, 2010 5:09 pm

St. Finbarr's Inchigeela, post 1880 ante 1914

Praxiteles
Old Master

Postby Praxiteles » Mon May 24, 2010 5:18 pm

The Presentation Convent, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Praxiteles
Old Master