Planning Notices

Re: Planning Notices

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:50 pm

I'd be concerned about that glass panelling/fence around the outside to be honest. As regards the carbuncle, well, it's not likely to be very obvious given its overshadowing by the far larger monster beside it, and it is not sufficiently large (IMO) to overshadow the old bank.

The old bank is pretty odd, and I don't know that it would deserve a more careful "showcasing" - as long as it is kept and used, that's probably the main thing - however eccentric it is or not in line with the streetscape it's a part of the city. Given the recent vandalism, I'd be happy to see it used again (presumably an occupant would be quicker to rectify the results of any vandalism).

The colour of the carbuncle probably matters a lot given the definite fairly dark (esp in rain) stone of the old bank, and the light colours of the monster apartment carbuncle on the other side of the spare site.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby Tuborg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:05 pm

CologneMike wrote:Which design was approved? Above or below?

All those images were taken from the further information submitted by the architects. However it seems that a slight tweaking of the design took place on the instructions of the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

The approved design is the one below.

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:I'd be concerned about that glass panelling/fence around the outside to be honest.

Those glazing panels are a disappointing feature alrite. Sarsfield Credit Union state that they are merely to protect the building from vandalism and anti-social behaviour, which to be fair has been a big issue over the last year or so.

Although it is pretty disheartening that they seem to regard barricading the building off as the only solution to the problem!
Attachments
Sarsfield CU Plans 6.jpg
Sarsfield CU Plans 6.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
Sarsfield CU Plans I.jpg
Sarsfield CU Plans I.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 5834 times
Sarsfield CU Plans II.jpg
Sarsfield CU Plans II.jpg (23.25 KiB) Viewed 5834 times
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Tuborg wrote:All those images were taken from the further information submitted by the architects. However it seems that a slight tweaking of the design took place on the instructions of the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

The approved design is the one below.

From this perspective below, I personally would have preferred their first design.

Tuborg wrote:Those glazing panels are a disappointing feature alrite. Sarsfield Credit Union state that they are merely to protect the building from vandalism and anti-social behaviour, which to be fair has been a big issue over the last year or so.

Although it is pretty disheartening that they seem to regard barricading the building off as the only solution to the problem!

It seems the glazed railing to the front of the building was refused but was granted along the Catherine Street side.

Condition 22

Prior to the commencement of any development on site, the Applicant shall submit revised plans and elevations to the Planning Authority for written agreement, indicating the following:

(a) The removal of the glazed railing proposed along the front of the Protected Structure (main entrance).

(b) A revised proposal for the glazed railing along the side elevation of the Protected Structure facing onto Catherine Street. The glazing rail at this location shall terminate in line with the front elevation facing onto Glentworth Street.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:03 pm

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:The colour of the carbuncle probably matters a lot given the definite fairly dark (esp in rain) stone of the old bank, and the light colours of the monster apartment carbuncle on the other side of the spare site.

Looks like it’s going to be a mixture of limestone cladding, a bit of stainless steel cladding and a opaque glazed skin.

Speaking of carbuncles, there is one horrible wart in the form an ESB pole with extra thick cables that disfigures the whole corner. :mad:

It will be interesting to see how they will repair the scarred limestone from previous changes of signage.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:15 pm

The pebbledash rendered facade of the rear building will be removed thus exposing the original brickwork.

The drawings seem to show how the three buildings are to be connected under one glass roof?

By the way how does the new Bank of Ireland facade on O’Connell Street fare out? Any images about?
Attachments
Rear1.jpg
Rear1.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 5720 times
Rear2.jpg
Rear2.jpg (45.66 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:21 pm

CologneMike wrote:Looks like it’s going to be a mixture of limestone cladding, a bit of stainless steel cladding and a opaque glazed skin.

I'd have thought that the brief here would have been to make this new extension as understated as possible. Unfortunately any new structure is going to impact negatively on the bank. But one would have thought that all parties involved would have strived to negate this impact in so far as was possible!

To my untrained eye anyway, the revised design is more elaborate than the original, especially the front elevation with it's extensive use of glazing! :confused:

Speaking of carbuncles, there is one horrible wart in the form an ESB pole with extra thick cables that disfigures the whole corner. :mad:

It's absolutely pathetic isnt it? To think that its almost 2010 and this remains the ESB's method of running electrical cables through the city streets! They should have been undergrounded years ago! :o

I can't understand either why the Baker Place public realm works were not extended down as far as the bank corner at the time. As it is, the horrible poured concrete footpath, incredibly obtrusive ESB pole and haphazard car parking make for a fairly dismal setting! :(
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:49 pm

CologneMike wrote:
By the way how does the new Bank of Ireland facade on O’Connell Street fare out? Any images about?

They put the finishing touches to it last week.

Obviously it's a major improvemet on the original but nothing special either. It's extremely "corporate" looking and would probably be more suited to an office park rather than the city centre.

The new granite clad facade has looked sharp enough in the recent bright, frosty weather but other elements such as the glazing and signage look pretty cheap in my opinion. It's early days yet though, it might grow on me eventually!
Attachments
BOI Dec 2009.jpg
BOI Dec 2009.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am

Tuborg wrote:It's extremely "corporate" looking and would probably be more suited to an office park rather than the city centre.

To the point!

Especially as it occupies a prime corner on the new pedestrian thoroughfare of the city centre.

See previous images 2291 and 2063
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby tretle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:02 pm

I didn't know they were moving the prison to O Connell Street.. Sad to see red brick being replaced for dull grey facades on the main street of limerick. If it was up to me I would try keep the coherency of the street by spending a bit of cash restoring and cleaning current red brick buildings and imposing guidelines enduring that they never get plastered/painted over or demolished in favor of concrete/lime facades.
tretle

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:07 pm

tretle wrote:I didn't know they were moving the prison to O Connell Street.. Sad to see red brick being replaced for dull grey facades on the main street of limerick. If it was up to me I would try keep the coherency of the street by spending a bit of cash restoring and cleaning current red brick buildings and imposing guidelines enduring that they never get plastered/painted over or demolished in favor of concrete/lime facades.

They could have gotten an elephant to take a steaming dump on the location of this bank, and it would've been better than what was there. Though mediocre, this is a vast improvement at relatively little cost.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby tretle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:34 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:They could have gotten an elephant to take a steaming dump on the location of this bank, and it would've been better than what was there. Though mediocre, this is a vast improvement at relatively little cost.

Sorry but I guess we will have to disagree.. I was not a fan of what was there before but what they replaced it with is disgraceful. It makes me wonder how the hanging gardens development was refused when they let something like this through.
Think it looks ok now? Let it age a small bit. This thing wont age well at all, it will only get closer to looking like a prison as the years go by.
tretle

Postby dave123 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:59 pm

I do find this not great for recladding and as a make over.

That grey sharp flat exterior is far to over bearing. It's not acceptable in my books!
dave123

Postby Tuborg » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Tretle, the Bank of Ireland is just an early 1970s office building that has had it's dated facade removed and been re-faced in granite. I must admit I was hoping for slightly better but the revamped exterior is still a massive improvement on the previous rubbish!

Bank of Ireland originally occupied just a single building at the corner of O'Connell Street/Bedford Row. In or around 1970, they bought up and demolished a number of premises on both streets to expand their business.

Also, the hanging gardens development wasn't refused, it was under construction for over a year until those behind it ran out of cash!

Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Ardhu House / Clarion Hotel Suites site

Budelli Construction Limited

For the construction of modifications and amendments to the permitted mixed use tourism, commercial, recreational and residential development granted under planning ref:P.04/01 (An Bord Pleanala ref: PL30.212383) to provide for (1) a reduction in permitted residential units by way of: (i) the replacement of permitted 'Villa C (comprising 15 units, 3 storeys over basement) with proposed 28 no. apartments; (ii) the replacement of 'Vill E' (comprising 15 units, 3 storeys over basement) with proposed 5 no. detached 2 storey residential units with new vehicular entrances onto Roses Avenue; (iii) the replacement of 'Aparthotel Block B' (comprising 24 no. units) with proposed 11 no. three storey town houses. (2). revised site layout plan to take account of aforementioned amendments; (3) revised basement level car parking layout and access arrangement and (4) revised and modified landscaping and boundary treatments and (5) all ancillary site development works. The proposed development is within the curtilage of a Protected Structure.

Ennis Road, Roses Avenue, North Circular Road, Limerick

Granted by Limerick City Council on 27/11/2009, it's now been appealed to An Bord Pleanala.

This saga has been dragging on for 6/7 years at this rate. Back in 2004, Budelli proposed a much larger development that was eventually passed by ABP but with significant alterations.

Attachments
Ardhu site dev.jpg
Ardhu site dev.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 5645 times
Ardhu site dev II.jpg
Ardhu site dev II.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
Ardhu site dev III.jpg
Ardhu site dev III.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:51 pm

Bellisle Properties Ltd

Permission for the demolition of 2 no. semi-detached bungalow houses, and for the construction of an entrance, 34 no. terraced townhouses, 13 no. apartments, alterations to the public road including realignment and provision of 14 no. additional angled car parking spaces and all associated site works

Lynwood Park, Singland, Limerick

Decision Due Date: 13/2/2010

They're definitely trying to squeeze in as many units as possible between the existing Lynwood Park estate and the railway line. Maybe if we had a similar level of residential density along the railway lines in the city, some form of light rail system might just be viable!

Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Bedford Row ~ Central and Bank of Ireland Buildings

PoxyShamrock wrote: (November 2008) I was passing this "landmark" development this morning and noticed that the white exterior just above the doors is going green already! It's not even a year old.
Can't believe these are allowed to sort of things are allowed to be built without having tenants secured.

KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:I noticed that myself, looks pretty ugly, much worse than in the photo. A lot of these new buildings seem to have taken no account of the local climate and propensity for algae to grow and dirt/grime to build up anywhere where there is water allowed to flow down the face of a building.

It seems to be getting greener by the year! :o That’s certainly not going to help let this building (Former Grand Central). See image from Gillece

Tuborg wrote:
CologneMike wrote:By the way how does the new Bank of Ireland facade on O’Connell Street fare out? Any images about?

They put the finishing touches to it last week.

Obviously it's a major improvement on the original but nothing special either. It's extremely "corporate" looking and would probably be more suited to an office park rather than the city centre.

The new granite clad facade has looked sharp enough in the recent bright, frosty weather but other elements such as the glazing and signage look pretty cheap in my opinion. It's early days yet though, it might grow on me eventually!

View of the new Bank of Ireland from Bedford Row. It would be nice to see a brighter picture of it.
Attachments
BedfordRowBankOfIreland.jpg
BedfordRowBankOfIreland.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby KeepAnEyeOnBob » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 am

One can already see the dirty water marks from the lack of thought to water disposal from the window "ledges" on the new BoI building. Agree that the windows look cheap. In fact I do think that once the new facade is not "new", it may actually be worse-looking than the old facade, much as the old one was an out-dated style. I guess it fits in well with the Brown Thomas building and the like, but I hate that monotone box-like look. Anyway, I give it as little as two or three years before the BoI building really looks dreary and drab and fits in perfectly - unless they plan to scrub the walls regularly.

Yes you can say the environment isn't the fault of the building, but I do believe that materials and design should be chosen to account for the environment.
KeepAnEyeOnBob

Postby Griff » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:18 am

[INDENT][/INDENT][align=center][/align]Its about maintenance I think - if the bank keeps the facade clean it will look ok. What is good imo is that the colour / finish of the facade reflects light which brightens up the street.Many of our red brick Georgian streets are depresssingly dark at night time - Im sure some student has done a thesis about how materials and lighting affect the atmosphere/mood of a street.

[align=right][/align]Image

Griff

Postby CologneMike » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Planners told of housing concerns (Irish Examiner)

By Jimmy Woulfe, Mid-West Correspondent

INDEPENDENT planning experts have welcomed a move to open up dialogue with architects and others involved in house design.

Up to 60 architects, draftsmen and house designers attended a meeting called by Limerick County Council’s planning department.

Architect Michael Healy, who worked on the design of JP McManus’s €100 million mansion, said the group was able to put concerns by clients to the planners.

Mr Healy said: "This was a positive initiative from the council’s planning department to invite agents to a meeting. As a result it was decided that a group representing agents will meet regularly with planners to discuss issues when resolved and which would benefit the planning process."

He said a forum would be set up at which agents and planners can discuss issues and give feedback.

Cllr Jerome Scanlan, a strong critic of the council’s planning department, said there was a problem with regard to getting planning for rural one-off houses in Co Limerick.

He said: "The planners are doing everything in their power to block one-off rural housing. There is a need for one-off rural housing and Limerick County Council are unreasonable in these planning applications."

Cllr Scanlan claimed council bureaucracy was leading to unnecessary delays in processing planning applications. He added problems also arose where people apply for planning adjacent to a roadway.

He added problems also arose where people apply for planning adjacent to a roadway.

From a road safety point of view it makes sense to me.

How many rural roads have crazy speed (80-100kph) signs on them?

The whole issue of assessing proper speed limits for each stretch of these minor rural roads should be addressed first by the local authority.

As it is, just stringing a pearl of one-off houses along these minor rural roads is reckless enough.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Yeah that’s just what we need, more unsustainable rural housing, making it even more difficult to provide viable services. This urbanisation of the countryside really has to stop!

I’ve often heard Limerick County Councillors peddling the myth that somehow Limerick is a difficult place to gain permission for a one off house. Sadly the reality is very different. All one needs to do is to take a trip back to west Limerick in particular to see the unpleasant effects of this misguided practice.

Apparently they don't see anything wrong in destroying regional roads with private accesses either! :rolleyes:
Tuborg

Previous

Return to Ireland