well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Postby D-A-V-E » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 pm

D-A-V-E wrote:the first floodlight is up in the gaelic grounds, on the side of the macky stand and clare side terrace..its absolutely HUGE! dworfs thomonds floodlights!

the other floodlight is up beside it, im guessing the other 2 are going up for the end of the week
D-A-V-E

Postby Griff » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 am

D-A-V-E wrote:the other floodlight is up beside it, im guessing the other 2 are going up for the end of the week

The 2 on the Clareview side just dont look right imo...Image
Griff

Postby D-A-V-E » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:33 am

Griff wrote:The 2 on the Clareview side just dont look right imo...Image

ya they look vey strange, its because the flodlights are inside at the bottom of the terrace and uncovered stand
D-A-V-E

Postby Tuborg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 pm

I was out at the Gaelic Grounds today and sadly the two pylons on the open stand side look every bit as ridiculous as we thought they would!:(

I was talking to one of the lads working out there and he agreed that it was "highly unusual" for the pylons to be placed inside the ground but that the Council had left them with little option.

The lights themselves will be switched on for the first time on tuesday. They'll spend the rest of the week testing and fine tuning the system and they hope to be out of there by next Friday, a week ahead of schedule.

Incidentally, the first game under the new lights should be the County Football Final on October 10th.
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:50 pm

District Court on move to Butler's Henry Street building (Limerick Leader)

THE Irish Prison Service has confirmed that Limerick District Court will be relocated to a more secure location on Henry Street close to the city's garda headquarters.

The Limerick Leader revealed in July that the Office of Public Works was
in negotiations with two developers in the city, and it is now understood that the proposed new site for the district courthouse is the former post office which is part of a major redevelopment project by Robert Butler Group.

Meanwhile, Mayor Kevin Kiely said if he did not get a firm undertaking from the Department of Justice and the Office of Public Works that the courthouse is indeed going to be moved, he is "going to take a conscious decision and not accept any further dignitaries at City Hall."

The mayor, who welcomed the German Ambassador to Limerick last Thursday, said: "I am not going to put them (visiting dignitaries) in a situation where they could get caught up in a fracas outside the courthouse, like what happened last Wednesday."

Successive mayors have called for the relocation of the district courthouse, which currently forms part of City Hall on Merchant's Quay, because of the often chaotic scenes on the steps of the building in front of tourists visiting St Mary's Cathedral, and members of the public who attend Limerick City Council offices.

Mayor Kiely, who worked at the former post office from 1976 to 1986 said the building on Henry Street is ideally suited for a courthouse.

"There is a courtyard area in the plans, and it would be ideal for prison vans and patrol cars and it wouldn't be seen by the general public. "It would solve the problem of the courthouse, once and for all," he said.

The Mayor said the Office of Public Works should sign contracts with the developer and agree a design brief for a permanent court, not just a temporary facility.

Space in Henry Street Garda Station is at a premium, and Mayor Kiely suggested that the building across the road from the station should house the Traffic Corps and detectives.

I can’t believe this move is being seriously considered, I think it’s a terribly short-sighted decision. Clearly the court needs to be moved away from City Hall but this just isn’t the answer.

The Council are obviously desperate for a solution after the numerous unsavoury incidents that have occurred over the last few years. But have they not considered the consequences of moving this circus right into the centre of town?:rolleyes:
Tuborg

Postby Griff » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Tuborg wrote:I can’t believe this move is being seriously considered, I think it’s a terribly short-sighted decision. Clearly the court needs to be moved away from City Hall but this just isn’t the answer.

The Council are obviously desperate for a solution after the numerous unsavoury incidents that have occurred over the last few years. But have they not considered the consequences of moving this circus right into the centre of town?:rolleyes:

I totally agree - its hard to believe. Surely the correct location was Costelloe's yard next to the prison ?
Griff

Postby D-A-V-E » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:38 pm

can anyone tell me whats happening opposite the fire station? there seems to be a lot of road works there, also inside a big site there too, also by the maternity hospital on the ennis rd, are they making a bus lane there?
D-A-V-E

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:51 am

Its the Orbital Route
Dreamstate

Improvements and projects to the ctiy

Postby dave123 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:45 am

The Riverside walks and quayside still on target.

• University of LImerick expanding and growing along with new medical school
  • Castletroy area still lots of developments in the pipeline
  • Bedford Row Phase 2 and cinema (waiting to go ahead)
  • Parnell street regeneration (seeing some signs of redevoleopment in the near future)
  • Train station redevelopment
  • Opera S.C project
  • City centre pedestrianisation phase 3 (2010)
  • Orbital road underway
  • Arthurs Quay (llate 2010 to 2012)
  • Crescent expansion possible
  • Caherdavin rezoning for major residential development
  • King's Island regeneration and Nicholas street enhancement
  • Childer's road widening
  • Tunnel opening ( mid 2010)
  • Phase 1 of the Coonagh to Moyross Distrubuter road

I would like more focus on beautifying the city. With the Georgion regeneration to be given more attention. The riverside walks enhanced with some flowers and trees. The Hanging gardens and Henry street completion. The Orbital road to get going, as the tunnel will open and the next phase of the city regeneration is the O'Connells street and William street plan. The Bedford row phase 2. The Opera centre start. I would also like to see some meetings done on the Arthurs quay plan, people need to have their say on this project. It looks promising and really vital for the city if it's done right. Any other ideas? Limerick needs to have a city centre sqaure and it's ideally suited to where Arthurs quay is currently located.
dave123

Postby AerialPhoto.ie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 pm

I took an aerial panorama of the Parkway Valley site yesterday.
For those that are interested you can click on the photo to view an interactive Flash Pano of the site.
AerialPhoto.ie

Postby mitchell » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:44 pm

I haven't been back to Limerick in a few months, still no change to the site?
mitchell

Postby AerialPhoto.ie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:08 am

If you're referring to the Parkway Valley site then no, that photo was taken on November 30th and while there are a few guys on site I don't think there is any major ongoing work.
AerialPhoto.ie

Postby dave123 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 am

http://www.limerickcity.ie/OurServices/PlanningandDevelopment/LimerickDraftCityCentreStrategy2007/Thefile,6697,en.pdf

This is a really good read. Breaks down the city into its former regions. Each part of the city has much potential.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:09 pm

I spotted this out of interest. A development lodged for Catherine street.

Anyone know what's going on with this. There is ALOT of interest to redevelop Catherine street. I would like to see architectural merit brought into context along this street. There is a lot of Character along this street that needs highlighting. Henry Street redevelopment has been very sucessful, mainly because of private investors and most of the street was a derelict wasteland prior to the redevelopment. Catherine street and Parnell street needs attention now, (while the wait for the fourth crossing and O'Connells street pedestrianisatoin comes on 2010)

http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2007/12/proposals-for-40m-limerick-city-centre.html
dave123

Postby dave123 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:21 pm

In relation to the planning crisis in Limerick, is there not any coherent or balanced plans on the agenda to spread the city's population in a circular fashion and not just all to Raheen and Castletroy. I know Castletroy is a very desired suburb. But there are many parts of the city that could be rezoned. For example the city council wants to have a population increase in its city boundary. They had drawn up a plan for the rezoning of lands in Caherdavin. Minister Gormly I think wants the city boundary to go ahead under the one administration. The parts of Clare will be part of the city boundary. But it will still be known as Country Clare. The urban area that spills into Clare should be in control of the city limits, for it is in the city limits.

I have to say the city is a planning mess right now. The road at Coonagh should have already been extended to Moyross. Though I'm glad the city council are working on the inner orbital this will allow the pedestrianisation to go ahead.

Hopefully fingers crossed the Opera centre will go ahead, or at least we will find a way to use this site. The knocking of Arthurs quay into a Limerick centre heart for the people.

Limerick is on the right track for the future if we bring a more balanced/community feel to any development that is proposed. The money monopoly/orientation has to go. The corruption is not to be tolerated anymore.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:41 am

http://www.healypartners.com/pj_gpo.html

Has this scheme started back on the move.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 am

http://www.limerick.ie/Publications/Thefile,8018,en.pdf

There is a lot of info on the developments and projects in discription for Limerick. Esepcially the Arthurs Quqy project. So it looks like this will move quicker than the Opera centre??

If anything it will still be positive. Since many of the buildings are brought out and the city wants a proper city centre square and demolition of Arthurs quay park and centre, it will defenatley put the city centre focus back in the right direction. If anything, this will enhance the prospects of the Opera centre going ahead.
dave123

Postby foinse » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:42 pm

dave123 wrote:http://www.healypartners.com/pj_gpo.html

Has this scheme started back on the move.

Doubt it, they've boarded up the entrances and taken down the hoarding giving the footpath and a lane of traffic back to Henry Street, having done that i can't see them doing anything with it for the foreseeable future.
foinse

Postby foinse » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:47 pm

dave123 wrote:http://www.limerick.ie/Publications/Thefile,8018,en.pdf

There is a lot of info on the developments and projects in discription for Limerick. Esepcially the Arthurs Quqy project. So it looks like this will move quicker than the Opera centre??

If anything it will still be positive. Since many of the buildings are brought out and the city wants a proper city centre square and demolition of Arthurs quay park and centre, it will defenatley put the city centre focus back in the right direction. If anything, this will enhance the prospects of the Opera centre going ahead.

Dave that document has been floating around since 2007, the Arthurs quay development is only a proposal of what could be there, the main reason for that document was outlining the changes to the quay's and strands, the pedestrianisation of Thomas St, Bedford Row, and O'Connell St, along with improvements on Catherine St and William St. it also covers the orbital route, these were the only projects with actual plans, when this document was published.
foinse

Postby dave123 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 am

THere is a site on live maps (last 2007) that is accross from The Clarion. It is at the junction of Dock road and O'Curry street corner. Is this site developed? Is this where the 8/9 story building was built recently. This site is an atrractive prime site for something new fresh and innovative? When the Bypass is completeed, I'd imagine the Dock road will not be as bad with traffic. What do you think could be built here? An high artictectual birght
high rise to sister the Clarion???

I personally would love a green energy efficient well designed tower that has solar energy capability. This could be the high rise could be the Convention centre in the city centre too? Any ideas.

The ESB site is has tremendous potential.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:22 am

foinse wrote:Doubt it, they've boarded up the entrances and taken down the hoarding giving the footpath and a lane of traffic back to Henry Street, having done that i can't see them doing anything with it for the foreseeable future.

Surely they can complete this building, its Henry street. They have to be moronic not to see the potential here. They should just get off their asses and finish it unpaid at this rate. it's not acceptable to leave a prime building corner on a busy city centre street while new developments are still going on in this city.
dave123

Postby foinse » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Dave i agree with you 100%, i work across the road from it and have to look at it every day. it's a bloody eyesore.
foinse

Postby foinse » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Plans to extend shopping centre lodged with council

Published Date: 16 January 2010
By Nick Rabbitts
DEVELOPERS have lodged plans to extend the Woodview Shopping Centre, near the Limerick Institute of Technology.
For the second time in the space of under 12 months, Ger & Jacinta Rodahan have lodged plans with the local authority to extend the small shopping area, which at the moment is home to the Centra shop run by the Rodahans, a hair salon, and a late-night pharmacy.

They have applied for a single storey extension to the centre for three retail units, with the extension measuring 155 square metres.

Last September, Limerick City Council gave the go-ahead to an extension of Woodview Shopping Centre, in a move which will effectively see it double in size.

According to those plans, the site will double from its current size of 500 square metres and incorporate five new retail units, and one new food market.

At the time, Mayor Kevin Kiely welcomed the development.

"It's near the two schools (St Nessans and LIT) and there is a huge population there from the immediate area. I have always been looking for better amenities in my ward. I think we need extra shops in that area though."

However, Mayor Kiely said residents should get together and discuss the plans if they feel concerned.
foinse

Postby Griff » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 pm

I saw this application - it was posted just before Christmas - if my memory is right this was previously refused ?.. I thought the thinking was no more cinemas outside of the city centre and now we have a possible 3 .. Coonagh , Jetland and Ballysimon... hope Hollywood ups the outout for the increased demand.

January 2010
By Nick Rabbitts
DEVELOPERS are planning to build a seven-screen, 1,300-seat cinema on the city's northside.

MZM Holdings has lodged an application with the city planning authority to change the use of three units in the Ennis Road retail park to one single unit.

The project – if it gets the go-ahead from Limerick City Council – would see a seven-screen cinema, consisting of 1,338 seats built on the Ennis Road retail park, near to the Jetland Shopping Centre.

If the plans get the green light, it will represent the second cinema to be granted permission on the northside, following an application by Chieftain Construction to build at Coonagh Cross.

Full story: See our Wednesday edition

According to the application lodged by developers MZM Holdings, the proposals also include a children's party area and a computer entertainment facility.
The developers have described the proposals to construct a cinema as something which will "diversify" the mix which already exists on the northside of the city.
The development, they say, "will provide an active recreational use for the area. The provision of a cinema would provide a significant amenity facility for the residents and employees of the Ennis Road area and would significantly enhance the attractiveness of the retail park as an employment mode."
Mayor Kevin Kiely, also a northside councillor, said he would rather see a cinema at Coonagh Cross. But he would welcome "this alternative location".
"It will provide local facilities for that area. I have been talking to planners, and they are anxious that at least one cinema complex goes ahead," he stated.
Labour councillor Tom Shortt said the lack of a cinema on the northside was one of the major issues he came across on his election campaign.
"Strangely you would think the calls would come from young people, but there were also calls from older people. I am not surprised that somebody has identified there is a market there which I genuinely think there is a huge demand for.
To go to a cinema, people (from the northside] have to essentially cross the city. The major inconvenience here is for parents. One of the biggest sectors who use cinemas are young people, and this is a transport problem. Parents are dropping their kids across the city, and no sooner have they got home, it is time to collect them again," he said.
Ger O'Rourke of Chieftain Construction last week told the Limerick Leader he believes his proposed cinema at Coonagh Cross will be ready to open by the end of this year or early next year.
As the Limerick Leader went to press, no spokesperson for MZM Holdings was available for comment.

Page 1 of 1

Last Updated: 20 January 2010 8:37 AM
Source: n/a
Griff

Parkway Valley Demolition

Postby tradcentric » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:40 pm

I read this today over at ‘An Irish Town Planner's Blog’:

“…it emerged in recent days that the toxic loans agency Nama is prepared to demolish half-completed buildings which it believes have no value as commercial or residential developments.

Nama faces the tough task of dealing with €21bn of work-in-progress assets and deciding what the long-term future of each asset is. Demolition of some sites and returning them to agricultural use is already being actively considered by Nama.”

I wonder will someone at NAMA have some sense and knock the half-built Parkway Valley shopping centre and return the site to green fields?. It was as bad idea in the first place and if it was ever completed would completely suck the life out of the already struggling city centre. A friend recently described it as ‘Limerick’s weathervane’ as the only thing the cranes are useful for is telling you which direction the wind it blowing. Surely the wind is blowing it towards demolition? It might be nice to keep one of the cranes though – it can act as a post-boom-bust reminder of developers’ folly.
tradcentric

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland