Should Liberty Hall Be Listed?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 366

Re: Liberty Hall

Postby spoil_sport » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:52 pm

The ballsbridge tower could have found a new home here.... it would have been better than this at least, no?
Is this really the best Ireland's RIAI gold medal 2001-03 winners can do. Feck me pink.
Are they actually demolishing the current one, I only ask because in some of those renders, it kinda just looks like the old got a new layer wraped round the north and east sides and the gravity bar stuck on top for good measure.... might be an option?
For what its worth, I think it should be taller to compensate for the loss of slenderness.
spoil_sport

Postby aj » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:30 pm

why are there no head on views published is it even worse from that aspect?
aj

Postby layo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:36 pm

http://www.design21c.com/conversation-market/imagine

something like this would be far more appropriate...more interesting design, focuses on sustainability...and the view of the building itself is far more indicative of what's actually planned. I hate how new building proposals have been presented over the past few years. The approach in the link is far more insightful as to what is being proposed. Visual explanations are worth a thousand words as they say!
layo

Re: Liberty Hall redevelopment

Postby missarchi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:51 am

do you think people are going to chain themselves to the building?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1010/1224256337683.html
missarchi
Old Master

Postby lostexpectation » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:14 am

ok so frank mcnally doesn't like liberty hall, its not revisionist to say a lot of people liked to it
lostexpectation

Postby D-A-V-E » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:05 pm

im not from dublin so i suppose i dont know the true landmark effect for everyone else but shouldnt the building replacing this 'iconic building' be at least double the height of the current one to symbolise what was and is now going to be the true building of dublin? at the proposed height its bound to be surpassed in dublin city by other buildings and everyone will think..it just isnt the same! build the next one high enough so that people wont complain about it. its the best location possible, i dont think 5 extra floors or whatever it is will justify such a building to be demolished, am i the only peoson who thinks this?
if you replace it go all out like!
D-A-V-E

Postby spoil_sport » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:19 pm

A few flaws in your logic there D-A-V-E.
"at the proposed height its bound to be surpassed in dublin city by other buildings":
ah, not likley to happen, I mean its not like no one has thought of it, build a tall building, seems logical enough, other cities can do it, not a reason in itself, but certinaly not a reason not to. But then the proposal always seem to mysteriously vanish off the radar.... into some black hole for tall buildings.
This one I really don't get:
"at least double the height of the current one to symbolise what was and is now going to be the true building of dublin?"
So it should be taller to symbolise the fact that its the tallest building?? (I thought my slenderness ratio argument was pushing it)
"build the next one high enough so that people wont complain about it"
Have you read any of these threads on highrise (or indeed anything), everyone complains about everything! (myself included)
"if you replace it go all out like!"
Are you from Cork?
spoil_sport

Postby Yixian » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:10 pm

GregF wrote:The likes of this should only be expected. No Gherkins here.

Ugh, that's a heart-sinkingly true realisation if ever there was one.
Yixian

Postby JoePublic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:10 am

Yixian wrote:Ugh, that's a heart-sinkingly true realisation if ever there was one.

Ah Yixian, I see your spirit has finally been crushed. Welcome to the fold :D
JoePublic

Postby D-A-V-E » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:02 pm

spoil_sport wrote:Are you from Cork?

Limerick City
D-A-V-E

Postby Yixian » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:57 pm

JoePublic wrote:Ah Yixian, I see your spirit has finally been crushed. Welcome to the fold :D

Forget chaining ourselves to Liberty Hall, I'm chaining myself to their diggers once it's been demolished to prevent such a crushingly mundane structure from being erected in it's place.
Yixian

Postby shanahap » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

missarchi wrote:I was watching foreign correspondent by chance and they had a show about the north and I noticed these tall buildings in the back round they look very similar to Liberty Hall with the wave roof does anyone know the buildings I'm talking about I think they where social housing or something around the 60's 70's?

They are the New Lodge Road flats just off the Westlink. They used to have paintings of volunteers on the white bands above the top floor windows.

See link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heartlessni/3746436111/
shanahap

Postby missarchi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 am

missarchi
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:55 am

Lovely old atmospheric pic from Polo's website (http://www.photopol.com)

Haven't gotten around to writing something about its proposed replacement, or maybe its that it saps any will to respond right out of me.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Peter Fitz

Postby lostexpectation » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 pm

video for Underworld vs Mark Knight and D.Ramirez, played “on” Liberty Hall http://bit.ly/90evPx

you want to knock this down?
lostexpectation

Postby publicrealm » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 pm

lostexpectation wrote:video for Underworld vs Mark Knight and D.Ramirez, played “on” Liberty Hall http://bit.ly/90evPx

you want to knock this down?

A fantastic video. Really iconic.

Was it really done live (i.e. leds within Liberty Hall) or are the graphics just using Liberty Hall as a background (excuse my ignorance of these matters).

And NO - I certainly don't want to knock it down - I would like it to be listed - but it does need a major facelift.
publicrealm

Postby PaulC » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:52 pm

That was real and live - the lighting was temporarily put onto Liberty Hall as an art project. It was fantastic. I think it should have been a permanent feature. Then I would be all for retaining Liberty Hall.
Thanks for posting the link to the video - it was great.
PaulC

Postby lostexpectation » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:13 pm

is there no 'front on' look at the south face of this new building?

its hard to decipher what it looks like

esp since plans have been delayed
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/sky-pod-liberty-hall-plan-delayed-1958941.html
lostexpectation

Postby OisinT » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:41 pm

PaulC wrote:That was real and live - the lighting was temporarily put onto Liberty Hall as an art project. It was fantastic. I think it should have been a permanent feature. Then I would be all for retaining Liberty Hall.
Thanks for posting the link to the video - it was great.

I agree 100% - I actually miss it at night now!
OisinT

Postby cgcsb » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 pm

lostexpectation wrote:is there no 'front on' look at the south face of this new building?

its hard to decipher what it looks like

esp since plans have been delayed
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/sky-pod-liberty-hall-plan-delayed-1958941.html

that article said work was to start in 2011, when was the origional schedule?
cgcsb

Postby missarchi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:44 am

I thought this set the benchmark/precedent? maybe it was wrong....
But this precedent has been broken again?
Attachments
equally7.jpg
equally7.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
missarchi
Old Master

Postby publicrealm » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:15 pm

spoil_sport wrote:For what its worth, I think it should be taller to compensate for the loss of slenderness.

Do you not think it might be slenderer - to compensate for the loss of tallness?
publicrealm

Postby GrahamH » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:36 pm

:p

Peter Fitz wrote:Haven't gotten around to writing something about its proposed replacement, or maybe its that it saps any will to respond right out of me.

My thoughts for the past two months exactly. It's just not worth the effort.

And that's a real shame.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby kevin dillon » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:48 am

Liberty hall looked fantastic at night during the theatre festival. The video for Underworld vs Mark Knight and D.Ramirez, is really good. City seems so alive with energy, vibrancy and dynamism thanks to a small solitary tower pulsating in its core (Of course the kickin dance tunes help so much as well).

I wish we could have this installation or something similar permanent in the city. It could become as famous as the sparkle effect on the Eiffel tower in Paris. Meanwhile the poolbeg chimneys should copy the sparkle effect.

And im afraid i have to agree with everyone in terms of being disapointed with the new liberty hall proposal. It adds nothing. Infact i think it would result in a considerable loss. Far worse than what we currently have. I just hope it wont proceed as proposed.

- Please be careful with this one D.C.C.planning dept!
kevin dillon

Postby Yixian » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:12 am

Can't they just snag the design from Dunne's One Berkley Court xD

^ That, is a modern high rise.

This nonsense looks like a high rise industrial park.
Yixian

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland