New Court Complex - Infirmary Rd

Re: New Court Complex - Infirmary Rd

Postby BTH » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:36 pm

I think it's ugly as sin. The way the glass peels back to reveal all the crap on the roof from every approach from the east is unforgivable. Granted, it does look great when you get up close to it and can appreciate the intriguing glazing textures and layering but the overall shape and roof profile is a mess and a real missed opportunity.
BTH

Postby jdivision » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:13 pm

I thought there was going to be more external wood cladding on this.
jdivision

Postby Service charge » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:59 pm

I like it. Works as a sort of book end to the City centre. If only we could have something decent on the other end!
Service charge

Postby fergalr » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Maybe a statue of justice and a tricolour on it? So people know it's a court building. I really like the building but it could honestly be anything. We could end up with loads of Americans turning up on the weekends, thinking it's the convention centre.
fergalr

Postby rob mc » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Doesn't look ten stories to me!
rob mc

Postby Bago » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:37 pm

rob mc wrote:Doesn't look ten stories to me!

Probably because we're so used to 10 storey pencil thin "tower elements". It's a very bulky building making it look shorter but it's very visible on the skyline
Bago

Postby fergalr » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:56 pm

rob mc wrote:Doesn't look ten stories to me!

It does up close.
fergalr

Postby pippin101 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:08 pm

I like its sheer power and size. The view from Wolfe Tone Quay going over the Liffey is awe-inspiring; it towers over the shops and pubs of Parkgate St, a properly scaled urban building with small-town cottages nestling at its feet.
pippin101

Postby kceire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:11 pm

i have some pics that i took while photographing Frank Sherwin Bridge for work yesterday if anybody wants to give me their email address i can send them for uploading?

all taking from Victoria Quay and Wolfe Tone Quay.
kceire

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:14 pm

just send them to me pclerkin@archiseek.com
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby AndrewP » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:31 pm

I don't see how this building can be seen as anything but a disappointment given that it's taking over the job of a Gandon masterpiece. It's a fairly decent office block. As the centre of Irish justice though....?
AndrewP

Postby StephenC » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:48 pm

Its only taking over Criminal cases. Civil matters will still be heard at the Four Courts and the High and Supreme Courts remain where they are.

Personally I think the new building looks very well. Some lovely views of it the other evening from the Pheonix Park as the sun set in the west. The glass and steel were a blaze of orange.

The opportunity now existing to improve the Four Courts and its environs and perhaps even get rid of the more ugly buildings in ist vicinity...adieu Aras O'Dalaigh?
StephenC
Old Master

Postby AndrewP » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:33 pm

StephenC wrote:Its only taking over Criminal cases. Civil matters will still be heard at the Four Courts and the High and Supreme Courts remain where they are.

Criminal law is all the good stuff!
AndrewP

Postby Cathal Dunne » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 pm

They've put a metal design on the wall to the right of the main entrance with what looks like Lady Justice and her famous scales. If they put up a name for the courts in Irish and English beside that then people will know that it's not just another corporate office block or conference centre.

What is the new complex to be called, btw? Is it really going to be called the Central Criminal Court Complex? I like its alliterative quality.
Cathal Dunne

Postby johnglas » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:49 pm

The opportunity now existing to improve the Four Courts and its environs and perhaps even get rid of the more ugly buildings in ist vicinity...adieu Aras O'Dalaigh?

Absolutely; I've always thought that the Supreme Court bit was somewhat tucked in at the back, which is precisely where it shouldn't be. And the relationship between the rear of the FCs and the (?) Bridewell is an interesting one that could be developed into a shared space. I've always thought it (the Bw) was an interesting and dignified (if sinister) building waiting to happen.
johnglas

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:59 am

Cathal Dunne wrote:They've put a metal design on the wall to the right of the main entrance with what looks like Lady Justice and her famous scales. If they put up a name for the courts in Irish and English beside that then people will know that it's not just another corporate office block or conference centre.

Renders indicated that a large harp & signage would be mounted on the stone clad out crop ... which would certainly spell out to Irish people that it was an official building, nothing like a harp laden envelope through the letterbox to scare the bejaysus out of ya, not quite sure what tourists would make of it though :rolleyes:

I would have preferred the harp & appropriate signage over the traditional scales, if thats what they've gone for.
Peter Fitz

Postby Global Citizen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 am

pippin101 wrote:I like its sheer power and size. The view from Wolfe Tone Quay going over the Liffey is awe-inspiring; it towers over the shops and pubs of Parkgate St, a properly scaled urban building with small-town cottages nestling at its feet.

It does indeed, I like this building.
Attachments
Dublin 29,08,09 006.jpg
Dublin 29,08,09 006.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Global Citizen

Postby Global Citizen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:14 am

Some more pics I took recently.
It may look somewhat obtrusive coming in from the Coyningham road but from a distance the colour and scale of the building doesn't offend.
I think it blends in well with its older neighbours.
Attachments
Dublin 29,08,09 010.jpg
Dublin 29,08,09 010.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Dublin 29,08,09 051.jpg
Dublin 29,08,09 051.jpg (59.67 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
Dublin 29,08,09 035.jpg
Dublin 29,08,09 035.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Dublin 29,08,09 054.jpg
Dublin 29,08,09 054.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Global Citizen

Postby spoil_sport » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 am

I have to disagree completely that this thing has any "sheer power and size". I wonder if anyone not-in-the-know would even notice it. "Design" aside, I find the form very underwhelming, approaching it, viewing it from across the river... it does nothing for me, compared to the (ahem) conference centre bookending the other end of the liffey, which is goddam fugly, it does at least stand out, if not in a good way. These courts, for me have no more presence than the new eircom HQ across the river, or Dundrum shopping centre. I like the glass screen, but the cladding behind it is awful, perhaps using a more intersting cladding behind the glass might have given it different qualities, but as it is...
spoil_sport

Postby StephenC » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:45 pm

All finished....looks good I think.

link to Irish Times
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:57 pm

yeah not bad at all ...

Peter Fitz

Postby lostexpectation » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:08 pm

not much room outside
lostexpectation

Postby BTH » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

While this building has some positive atributes It still looks like a mess to me. There are too many ideas fighting for attention particularly in the cladding, it has too much bulk to look remotely elegant and it's contribution to the public realm is pathetic for such a prominent building. The blank black spandrel glazing all over the penthouse floor is particularly cheap and nasty looking, especially since the main "feature" glazing with it's stainless steel edging is nicely done. It's such mismatches that make the building so frustrating for me. The bits that are done well make the bits that are poor look even worse than they would normally.

The opportunities for an innovative and exciting public building at this site were endless given it's magnificent setting at the edge of the Phoenix Park. Regrettably we've been left with a blot on the landscape that will undoubtedly date terribly given it's overreliance on mod-ish cladding. Seems a bit like a 21st century Hawkins House in this regard.
BTH

Postby Global Citizen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:36 pm

lostexpectation wrote:not much room outside

Room for what...........

Public hangings ?
Global Citizen

Postby gunter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm with BTH on the cladding, and the front is too much corporate-office-block and not enough civic-building, but the rear, facing Montpelier Hill, has an interesting massing.
gunter
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland