university of limerick

Re: university of limerick

Postby iomanaiocht » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:39 pm

isnt it FASCINATING that Clare County Council have just given planning permission to UL for development on 27 acres of floodplain immediatedly to the north of Westbury\Corbally. Once built it will have horrendous effects on this area when the next flood arives. Unbelievable
iomanaiocht

Postby foremanjoe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:50 pm

iomanaiocht wrote:isnt it FASCINATING that Clare County Council have just given planning permission to UL for development on 27 acres of floodplain immediatedly to the north of Westbury\Corbally. Once built it will have horrendous effects on this area when the next flood arives. Unbelievable

Whoah there imanaiocht!
You're totally underestimating Clare County Council's capacity for hindsight, which will kick into action directly after your predicted flood.
foremanjoe

Postby djasmith » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:34 pm

ul looking pretty rough at the moment - the shannon has reached the bottom of those suspension type things on the living bridge.... health sciences building has lots of sndbags up and water is fairly close to them...

just proves your point of building on the floodplain!
djasmith

Postby roskav » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Any pics of student village and how it is faring in the flood? As far as I know it was designed with a certain frequency of flood event in mind but this seems to be a one in several hundred years flood.
roskav

Postby vkid » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:17 pm

vkid

Postby CologneMike » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Look at the Black Bridge! :eek:

The mind boggles because so much more water is already diverted away upstream into the ESB Head Race via Ardnacrusha!

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby roskav » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Found this on the Limerick Leader Site. All seems to be ok from this view:
Attachments
TH0_261120096PLASSEY RIVER.JPG.jpeg
TH0_261120096PLASSEY RIVER.JPG.jpeg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 8001 times
roskav

Postby Nautiman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Does anybody find it odd that the lock gates at Shannon Rowing Club are closed and not open given the circumstances?
Nautiman

University of Limerick

Postby AerialPhoto.ie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:06 pm

I took a spherical panorama at the college this morning that gives a pretty good idea of the impact of the flooding.

Click on the photo below in order to view a 360 degree panorama of the site:
AerialPhoto.ie

Re: University of Limerick

Postby foinse » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:11 pm

AerialPhoto.ie wrote:I took a spherical panorama at the college this morning that gives a pretty good idea of the impact of the flooding.

Click on the photo below in order to view a 360 degree panorama of the site:
[url="http://www.aerialphoto.ie/UL/ul.html]Image[/url]

linky broken mate, 404 error coming up
foinse

Postby AerialPhoto.ie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 am

I've added another one showing the flooding around the Park Point / Aldi / Groody River area. No shortage of water!

AerialPhoto.ie

Postby djasmith » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:43 pm

the student village you're talking about (thomand) is seemingly designed to be able to take floods (there's lots of small bridges and things in it). However the water supply was cut off for a while. other than that nothing major. water still not back properly in the showers though!! Tis gettin awful smelly down here!

Limerick still on high flood alert though....
djasmith

Re: University of Limerick

Postby CologneMike » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:28 pm

AerialPhoto.ie wrote:I took a spherical panorama at the college this morning that gives a pretty good idea of the impact of the flooding.

AerialPhoto, it would be an understatement to say the least that your superb 360° panoramas will be of keen interest to the University Campus Planners! :cool:

Your images of the Clare campus side reveal the extent of the flood plain around the Thomond Student Village. Or should I say either side of the Canal / River Blackwater as it meets the Shannon.

The topography of the site provided unique opportunities for the project to interact with the waterways and take advantage of the stunning views surrounding the site.

As the site is prone to occasional flooding it has been raised approximately 2m above the existing ground level. Only the land required for the Student Village was raised to create promontories and thus preserve the seasonal nature of the landscape.

Murray O’Laoire

Murray O’Laoire’s Student Village concept seems to have worked here though I heard that there were problems in general with sewage on the Clare campus side?

Previous post 100

Attachments
ThomondVillageFloodPlain.jpg
ThomondVillageFloodPlain.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 7919 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:37 pm

iomanaiocht wrote:isnt it FASCINATING that Clare County Council have just given planning permission to UL for development on 27 acres of floodplain immediatedly to the north of Westbury\Corbally. Once built it will have horrendous effects on this area when the next flood arives. Unbelievable

Sport Facilities ~ 4 Pitches & Pavillion ~ Project Architects

Planning permission granted for the construction of a Field Sports Facility on a 9.8 hectare site within the University's Clare Campus. The development comprises four raised floodlit sports pitches, with perimeter earthen berm, ancillary lighting, boundary fences and walkways, and an 1,810 sq.m pavillion building on two levels, providing 10 no changing rooms, referee rooms, administration rooms, cafe restaurant and 2 no. coaching rooms, 392 car parking spaces, 4 coach parking spaces and associated landscaping and site works.

Garraun, Clonlara, Co. Clare

Previous post 95

I must admit that I’m taken aback by the extent of these floods from O’Briensbridge down as far as Corbally. One would think the Ardnacrusha head race had never existed as I was always of the impression that the 1920’s Shannon Scheme diverted huge volumes of water away thus reducing the water levels of the original river all year round.

Will the UL still go ahead now with the four raised sports pitches and perimeter earthen berm?

Or alternatively instead of raising the pitches why not develop them as part of the flood plain?

There must be another 20.000 acres of flood plains up stream that will have to be revisted.

Attachments
SportFloodPlain.jpg
SportFloodPlain.jpg (28.96 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby roskav » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:54 am

Great images Aeriaphoto!.. I find it really interesting that the village is working (almost) as planned. In the way that it is designed it must be unique in Ireland. Does anyone know of a similar handling of flood events in building design? Construction and completion images here:

http://www.roskavanagh.com/library/project/ul_thomond_student_village

Ros
roskav

Postby AerialPhoto.ie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys, it's a little tricky getting nice images at this time of year with the low sun angles.
I actually took completion photographs of Thomond Village for Murray O Laoire back in 2006 I think it was, I wondered at the time how it would handle flooding and I'm glad to see that it fared out ok.
AerialPhoto.ie

Irish World Academy of Music and Dance new building

Postby tradcentric » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi, I follow this site quite a lot but I never post. Finally I have something to post - some pictures of the new Irish World Academy of Music and Dance building in UL. This is on the Clare side of the Shannon and it is the building that will greet people as they cross the living bridge. It is located besides the Health Sciences building and is due to open in March.

tradcentric

Re: Irish World Academy of Music and Dance new building

Postby Tuborg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Interesting shots, cheers for uploading them tradcentric.

It's good to finally see a building providing a backdrop for the bridge, the site was a car park for the last couple of years!

The north campus is definitely starting to take shape at this stage, I believe construction has also started on the medical school. Must take a spin out there some day to have a look!
Tuborg

Postby djasmith » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:45 am

Yes further construction has started on the site of that lonesome bungaloe.

Also for anyone in the area today, the living bridge is being officially opened by The President thismorning (the bridge is closed to pedestrians between 0930 and 1230). You'll still be able to go along and watch the ceremonies though! While you're there check out the boathouse which opened officially only a couple of months ago.
djasmith

Postby CologneMike » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 pm

UL builds €1.1m residence for president (RTE)

Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe is to ask for a report into the construction of a €1.1 million residence for the University of Limerick President.

The university, which is €3m in debt, has said that no taxpayers' money was spent on the new home for Professor Don Barry, which was built with philanthropic donations.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, the minister said that although he had only recently learned of the three-storey, five-bedroom house, it appeared 'lavish' in a time when universities should be exercising restraint.

See also UL News “New Facility Nearing Completion on the UL Campus”

I think the Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe would not mind having UL’s problems (i.e. €3m in debt), on the face of it the new €1.1 President’s residence (on campus) would seem to me to be pretty good value for money!

To put lavish (waste) into perspective, UL could have built 60-70 such buildings from money the Department of Environment blew, i.e. € 83 million on a € 10 million sewerage pipe.
Attachments
PresidentsHouseA.jpg
PresidentsHouseA.jpg (26.05 KiB) Viewed 7802 times
PresidentsHouseB.jpg
PresidentsHouseB.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:04 pm

O'Keeffe seeks report on €1.1m UL residence

SEÁN FLYNN and CHARLIE TAYLOR

MINISTER FOR Education Batt O’Keeffe has asked for a report into the construction of a €1.1 million luxury residence for the University of Limerick president.

The Minister said yesterday that the building of the five-bedroom house seemed “lavish”, given the current economic circumstances.

He emphasised, however, that “no taxpayer’s money” was used to build a €1.1 million residence.

Mr O’Keeffe said the home for Prof Don Barry had been funded entirely by a benefactor who had advised the money should be used for this purpose.

The contribution was made several years ago before Prof Barry became president.

The philanthropist in question is the Irish American billionaire Chuck Feeney, who had donated close to €1 billion to higher education in Ireland.

Fine Gael’s education spokes- man Brian Hayes has criticised the decision to invest funds on the building during a recession.

The university, which has debts of about €3 million, has stressed that the building will be used as a venue for public events and accommodation for visitors to the campus.

“This project is being entirely funded with philanthropic donations we’ve received.

“The donors specifically gave it [the funds] for this purpose,” said Eamon Cregan, director of corporate affairs, University of Limerick.

“This is private money applied for a public purpose.”

© 2010 The Irish Times

What bizaare logic goes on in Brian Hayes head which in effect he criticises a philanthropist (donated close to €1 billion to higher education in Ireland) for privately funding the president’s residence? Does he, as Fine Gael’s education spokesman seriously want to dictate as to when Chuck Feeney should finance University projects in this country i.e. wait till the recession is over?

“If you think education is expensive, try ignorance” (Former Harvard President). :rolleyes:
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby zulutango » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:49 pm

Jesus, i thought Fianna Fáil were bad, but that article shows that Fine Gael are pretty dire too, if that is the argument that they come up with. Well done to UL for developing a fantastic campus with very little backing or support from the government down through the years.
zulutango

Postby CologneMike » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:03 pm

University of Limerick president's house 'a waste of money' claims MEP (Limerick Leader)

By Mike Dwane and Anne Sheridan

BUILDING a €1.1m residence for a college president in the current climate is like giving a €900,000 bonus to former FAS director Rody Molloy, Fine Gael MEP Sean Kelly has said.

Mr Kelly joined his party leader, Enda Kenny, in criticising the new president's residence at UL, stating that it is "sending out the wrong message."

Mr Kelly, the former president of the GAA, told the Limerick Leader that the money spent on the house on the north side of the UL campus "is a waste of money that could be put to the benefit of the students."

However, the university has stressed that this funding was sourced privately for this specific purpose, which will have public functions. The UL students' union have also agreed that the funds were solely dedicated to the residence, which is part of the university's long-term strategic plans.

But Mr Kelly said: "The message has to go out today from here that we are there for the people. The day of privilege and class is over. We spent many years trying to get rid of the privilege and class of the earls and the barons and the lords of Britain and we don't want to be repeating that here.

"The message, like in giving a €1 million house to a president of a college and a €900,000 bonus to a man who squandered public money in FAS, is the wrong message and it has to stop," said Mr Kelly.

"UL has been a fantastic institution. They are doing great work. They have an awful lot to offer particularly now in research and innovation. But again, that is a waste of money that could be put to the benefit of the students. Enda Kenny has said that, and I agree with him," he concluded.

Someone who is worth their salt deserves respect!

Fine Gael’s MEP Sean Kelly comparison of the private funding for the new president’s residence with the FAS scandal surrounding Mr Molloy's severance arrangements is an insult to the University of Limerick.

The former UL president Ed. Walsh developed this university from scratch in the 1970’s and this work was followed on by Roger Downer and presently by Don Barry. There are some 13.000 students studying there today in buildings financed by the University Foundation.

This new representative residence for the president should assist the university when networking with visitors, hopefully inspiring them to get involved with the University Foundation.

As a university, UL is still only a “baby” and has a long way to go before it will be a fully developed university.

This new building is just a little part of it.

Fine Gael should salute achievement and respect people who are worth their salt!
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby zulutango » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:27 pm

I have no truck with Seán Kelly. Actually, I met him during his canvass last summer and gave him my number 1 vote in the European elections. However, his comments there are well out of order. Then again, I suspect that Mike Dwane and Anne Sheridan went fishing for these comments, and having seen plenty of what they have written in the past, I have no doubt that they have sensationalised what Kelly said.
zulutango

Postby foremanjoe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 pm

This is a sensational attack on a highly successful university.

It coincides with another ridiculous political move; the abolition of the NUI.

It appears that the politicians of this country see the 3rd level education system as a soft target for scoring political points.

I hope the public can see through this and that it all backfires spectacularly.
foremanjoe

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland