Developments in Cork

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby rob mc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:16 pm

My God, everyone has the answers yet nobody can answer the question!
rob mc

Postby sovereign12 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:08 am

Ok this thread is starting to piss me off something awful so here are the plain basic facts and let this be an end to it please:- DUBLIN = BIGGER THAN CORK, CORK = BIGGER THAN LIMERICK, LIMERICK = GALWAY (NOT BIGGER OR SMALLER JUST EQUAL). Now the thread is developments in cork so please for the love of jesus can we get back to that?????????????
sovereign12

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:06 am

sovereign12 wrote:Ok this thread is starting to piss me off something awful so here are the plain basic facts and let this be an end to it please:- DUBLIN = BIGGER THAN CORK, CORK = BIGGER THAN LIMERICK, LIMERICK = GALWAY (NOT BIGGER OR SMALLER JUST EQUAL). Now the thread is developments in cork so please for the love of jesus can we get back to that?????????????

Hmm, well actually Limerick is much bigger than Galway, as demonstrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI&feature=fvst
rumpelstiltskin

Postby Angry Rebel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 am

rumpelstiltskin wrote:Hmm, well actually Limerick is much bigger than Galway, as demonstrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI&feature=fvst

Congratulations on only being about 2 years behind the curve on that particular "joke". :o
Angry Rebel

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Angry Rebel wrote:Congratulations on only being about 2 years behind the curve on that particular "joke". :o

Yes, but the layers of irony keeps it fresh!
rumpelstiltskin

Postby Pug » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:36 am

jazzy new county council website

well, its a new front page anyway but i think they have cleaned up the main pages in the site as well

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Global%2520Nav/Home
Pug

Postby rofbp » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:36 pm

http://corkpolitics.ie/wp/?p=1792

looks like the eastern gateway bridge has been longfingered.

have any developers committed to building on their docklands sites before the bridge is built, or is everyone waiting for the bridge (and the market to turn around of course)
rofbp

Postby Leesider » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:36 pm

rofbp wrote:http://corkpolitics.ie/wp/?p=1792

looks like the eastern gateway bridge has been longfingered.

have any developers committed to building on their docklands sites before the bridge is built, or is everyone waiting for the bridge (and the market to turn around of course)

As far as I know the HH one is the main development that depends on it and if the bridge was built tomorrow then the events centre would probably be the only section built unless of course tax incentives were given for financial institutions etc to locate there but the chances of the government getting the finger out and doing something like that for Cork are very slim.

As the most prominent politican from Cork has Michael Martin actually ever done anything for Cork??? He should be all over this!
Leesider

Postby rofbp » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:48 pm

the website for the atlantic quarter is still down, though there is still a very brief outline on the HH website.

the live at the marquee festival was well attended again this year, with an extended run of around 20 shows i think. it'd be great if the conference/concert venue did get built, as there is definitely a demand for such a centre.

does anyone know what sort of occupancy rate such a centre would need to break even? would 100 events per year be sufficient? If they kept a "live at the marquee" festival there during the summer, they'd be 1/5 of the way there already.
rofbp

Postby Steady » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:21 pm

There is a looming shadow over "Developments in Cork" - the "elephant in the room", to use a hackneyed phrase. As long as the Elysian stands eerily empty, the tallest emptiest building in Ireland, the "Idle Tower" (near the Idle Hour) - why would any surviving developer not bailed out by NAMA even consider starting a development in Cork City. Hundreds of units lie empty, unwanted, uncoveted, uninhabited.....and Joe Developer is going to launch a new scheme? And using what money from which bank...Anglo Irish?

All this other discussion is just the ramblings of powerless lookers-on in a post-war landscape, waiting for Godot (Micheal Martin?) to sort everything out.

There will be no significant new development in Cork for 5 years in my opinion, i.e. 2014. I am not saying this just to be negative - if anyone can persuade me differently using some good arguments I'd be delighted.

My arguments are:

The government fiscal situation is dire
Most developers are up to neck in unsecured debt
The banks are being bailed out by the taxpayers
The taxpayers are losing their jobs
The government is tired, old, lame-duck, and afraid of taking the right steps
There is a gross oversupply of office, retail and residential on the market, enough to supply the next 5 years
The people of Ireland have gone into their bunkers and its each man/woman for him/heself
Steady

Postby gunter » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:59 pm

I'm trying to get information on the apparent disappearance of two former gabled houses at 9 & 10 Morrison's Quay. Google earth shows the site cleared and in use as surface car park.

Planning Reg. no. 0125332 (18 June 2001) sought the demolition of these two houses for an extension to Moore's Hotel, but the on-line file seems to end there with a request for additional information that appears not to have been supplied. There doesn't seem to be a subsequent planning application, unless I'm just missing it.

I'd like to know how the demolition of these house was to be justified and how it appears to have been allowed without planning permission.

The planning documents don't appear to be available on-line, just an outline of the application.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

There's a good picture of the houses in ''Uniquely Cork'', by Niall Foley published in 1991, I'll sneak a copy when I get a chance.
gunter
Old Master

Postby gunter » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 pm

This is a rough photocopy of that Morrison's Quay photograph. The last two houses before the laneway (nos. 9 & 10) have the characteristic profile of former 'Dutch Billys' and appear to be in good condition here.

This is the current Google Earth view with the two 'Billys' demolished, sometime in the last seven years.

Unbelievably, these houses don't appear to have been protected structures, but even that doesn't excuse demolition of what looks like two of the last, largely unaltered 'Billys' in Cork, without planning permission.

Can anyone explain how this was allowed to happen?
gunter
Old Master

Postby sovereign121 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:47 am

Who cares anymore???? Knock whatever, build whatever thats my philosophy. From all the shit that was put up during the boom at rediculously outlandish prices I've just come to the conclusion that this country is a joke when it comes to planning and building so I really don't care anymore. Best thing to ever be built was the elysian especially since it opened when the boom went walloped. here we have the tallest (oh impressive at 17 floors what a joke) building empty for nealy a year. Too long we've been screwed over by property developers and now we must pay for them. FUCK THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This country is a joke and the sooner we all wake up and realise it the better. God bless the recession cos I just bought my house at a fraction of what I would have paid a year or 2 ago.
sovereign121

Postby Yossarian » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:38 pm

Right...

for a second I couldn't think of which quay you were talking about, the pictures help, but god I have no memory of any buildings being there at all. I took a stroll down Catherine Street (the lane adjacent to the quay beside the 'car park') recently and it's completely dead, not one active frontage, it's a shame in such a central location.

If anyone has been to Melbourne, you might have visited this bar http://www.section8.com.au/ , something similar could fit nicely into the vacant spot if we had the weather!
Yossarian

Postby Leesider » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 pm

was going through the planning apps and found this one, don't think it has been mentioned:

File Number: 09/33647
for the demolition of all buildings on a 0.266 hectare site at the junction of Carrigrohane Road and Victoria Cross Road, Cork, including the former Crow's Nest public house and restaurant, four no. two-storey habitable dwellings at 1-4 Victoria Terrace, shed structures, store building and yard, and permission to construct a new mixed use student accomodation and commercial development in two main blocks, with a laundry room and commons room located in a separate single storey building at ground level, a new vehicular access from Carrigrohane Road to basement level, and all associated ancillary development, site works and services. Block A, which will range in height from 3 to 9 stories above basement level, will contain a total of 27 no. student apartments, 1 no. pub/restaurant unit, 1 no. retail unit, a waiting reception area and warden's apartment for the student accomodation, and ancillary development including ESB substation and switchroom. Block B, which will rise to a height of 7 stories above basement level,will contain 41 no. student apartments and associated ancillary development. The basement level shall contain 54 no. car parking spaces, 2 no. bicycle racks, a refuse area, storage areas for the pub/restaurant ( including 1 no. cold storage unit), customer toilets and staff changing facilities for the pub/restaurant, and ancillary development including plant rooms and lift access to upper levels. Ancillary development at ground level will include a communal terrace within which the building containing the commons room and laundry room will be located, along with a separate lift access to the basement level.

It would be nice to see that site developed soon, the crow's nest is becoming a bit of an eyesore.......student accommodation makes the most sense in the current market

just had a look at the elevations and it looks very bland
Leesider

Aldi on Tory Top Road

Postby brainscan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:56 am

I've just noticed this morning that major ground works are in progress on the site next door to Aldi on Tory Top Road, Formerly Heitons. I think it might be related to the original plannning for the site for residential and other uses as mentioned in one of lexingtons old *updates*.
Pity he isn't around to enlighten us.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showpost.php?p=37582&postcount=153
brainscan

Postby jungle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:29 am

One minor piece of good news.

There is a notice up at the end of Beasley St and it looks like the cobbles are going to be restored.

Any idea what the story is with the hotel that led to the whole street being dug up in the first place? It seems to have been in the same state for ages now. Also, the Parnell Place frontage needs some seeing to still.
jungle

Postby daniel_7 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 am

just wondering if the canopy element of the cornmarket st redevelopment is to be left out is there going to be anything at all for the market in the project.what is it in cork when theres something good proposed for the city theres always someone who will complain about something.also said planning was approved for the murreyford proposal for the quay, was that not pulled out of by the developers.also anyone know why none of the units in the shopping centre have been taken up apart from tk maxx, dont see this happening anywhere else and just wondering does anyone know how come it happens so frequently in cork?just three last requests-anyone know whats happening on the library site, the sullivans quay site (rev office) on the cap cinema site?sorry two more just came to mind, o callaghans proposal for andersons quay and the extension to mahon point now that opera lane is fin,is he still proceeding with that in the current climate?
daniel_7

Postby Angry Rebel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:00 am

Murrayforde are in receivership so you can forget about that one...
Angry Rebel

Postby who_me » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:17 pm

daniel_7 wrote:just wondering if the canopy element of the cornmarket st redevelopment is to be left out is there going to be anything at all for the market in the project.what is it in cork when theres something good proposed for the city theres always someone who will complain about something.also said planning was approved for the murreyford proposal for the quay, was that not pulled out of by the developers.also anyone know why none of the units in the shopping centre have been taken up apart from tk maxx, dont see this happening anywhere else and just wondering does anyone know how come it happens so frequently in cork?just three last requests-anyone know whats happening on the library site, the sullivans quay site (rev office) on the cap cinema site?sorry two more just came to mind, o callaghans proposal for andersons quay and the extension to mahon point now that opera lane is fin,is he still proceeding with that in the current climate?

I missed the article about the Cornmarket St/Coal Quay redevelopment, does anyone have a scan of that by any chance? I couldn't find anything online.

I'm not surprised the Cornmarket St centre isn't filling, after years of 'famine' there's a glut of retail space becoming available now, and the centre is on the edge of the city centre with relatively little foot traffic going by (the Cornmarket St. end). The Opera Lane development is much better located.

Can't help you with the others, the Capitol cinema site is becoming ever-more of an eye-sore, so hopefully something is done with it soon. IIRC, it was to be another retail development, in which case the demand may well have dried up with the other development coming online.

As for the Anderson's Quay development, that's one I'm hoping will never see the light of day, it's a horrible proposal. From the bus-station side it would look ok, but from down-river it presents a horrible 7-storey blank wall.
who_me

Postby Yossarian » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm not suprised cornmarket st isn't filling up, for precisely the reasons Who_me mentioned. in some ways the development was speculative, on the demand for retail space, but also on the increased percieved value of the location that would/will come when the street paving is overhauled and the quay site at the end (and other infill works along the opposite side of the street) is complete. any proposed canopy is unlikely to appear until the groundworks are done either. that said, the street has the potential to be great and i don't think it was a mistake to develop the Guy's site, just bad timing.
Yossarian

Postby jungle » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:03 am

The units in the Cornmarket Centre are also a bit smaller than most retailers are looking for. Also, I think the prospect of being the only retailer in an otherwise empty centre doesn't appeal to many potential clients.

It's a pity because the actual fit-out of the centre is pretty good compared to some we have seen.
jungle

Postby Radioactiveman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:12 am

A sign of the times perhaps, but some of the units at the Cornmarket Centre are due to be let to FAS to replace their public offices at Sullivan's Quay.
Radioactiveman

Postby lawyer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:16 pm

Has work stopped on the old Dennehy's Cross Garage site.
Passed there today and it looked fairly miserable.
lawyer

Postby opus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:14 pm

lawyer wrote:Has work stopped on the old Dennehy's Cross Garage site.
Passed there today and it looked fairly miserable.

There's a Tesco express open there already and part of it is being used as student flats by UCC. Bet that was a surprise for anyone who actually bought a flat there :rolleyes:
opus

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland