Serious damage to St. Patrick's Bridge

Serious damage to St. Patrick's Bridge

Postby MrX » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:28 am

It seems that joy riders have now taken to demolishing city centre landmarks. There is now a huge, fenced off, car-sized hole in the stone wall / railings of St. Patrick's Bridge.

Hopefully this can be repaired and restored to its original state.

Something really needs to be done about the idiots who are driving around the city centre. I have wittnessed some truly lethal driving late at night. Pedestrians, other road users and even valuable architectural landmarks are at serious risk.
MrX

Re: Serious damage to St. Patrick's Bridge

Postby gbohr » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:32 pm

MrX wrote:It seems that joy riders have now taken to demolishing city centre landmarks. There is now a huge, fenced off, car-sized hole in the stone wall / railings of St. Patrick's Bridge.

Hopefully this can be repaired and restored to its original state.

Something really needs to be done about the idiots who are driving around the city centre. I have wittnessed some truly lethal driving late at night. Pedestrians, other road users and even valuable architectural landmarks are at serious risk.

Any pictures?
gbohr

Postby who_me » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Noticed this too last night, it's on the Patrick St. end of the bridge, on the Merchant's Quay side. They either came from the Opera House direction, or from Patrick St. and veered off to the right, up onto the footpath and knocking the balusters & balustrade (I think those are the correct terms).

I live on Patricks Quay, and can hear cars racing up and down the quays every night of the week. I presume Gardai give them a free reign, presuming a chase would be more dangerous.
who_me

Postby who_me » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:14 pm

Btw, was just by Parliament Bridge on Saturday, and there's a big chunk taken out of that too. :o

With all these accidents, you'd think someone had planning in to replace them..
who_me

Postby MrX » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:39 pm

The driver concerned should be charged the entire repair cost. Surely, if they've done a legger they were caught on CCTV ! There are enough cameras around the city.

This kind of thing is just totally unacceptable, the city centre isn't a go-cart track.

These repairs are going to be extremely expensive, we could be talking tens, if not hundreds of thousands. If this comes from the City's budget, it means that some other service or facility or project gets starved of cash.

Apart from that, driving like that through a city centre is likely to cause deaths.

These guys need to be cracked down upon very hard e.g. jail time for dangerous driving, driving bans and if they're not insured, their cars seized and crushed.
MrX

Postby jungle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:27 pm

Can't speak for Patrick's Bridge, but the driver at Parliament Bridge was detained at the scene.

Their insurance companies should be liable for damage done, assuming the Corpo goes about pursuing them correctly.
jungle

Postby MrX » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:33 pm

jungle wrote:Can't speak for Patrick's Bridge, but the driver at Parliament Bridge was detained at the scene.

Their insurance companies should be liable for damage done, assuming the Corpo goes about pursuing them correctly.

Assuming they actually have insurance!
MrX

Postby foremanjoe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:34 pm

MrX wrote:These guys need to be cracked down upon very hard e.g. jail time for dangerous driving, driving bans and if they're not insured, their cars seized and crushed.

Joyriders everywhere will rue the day they angered the architecture community!
Their days are surely numbered now...
foremanjoe

Postby MrX » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:19 pm

I just with the 'powers that be' would enforce some of the traffic laws, other than the easy ones i.e. minor speeding offenses on dual-carriageways / motorways.

It's quite clear that this is a pretty serious issue if bits of the city are being demolished by late night drivers. I suppose we'll just have to wait, as usual, until someone's killed before something's done about it.
MrX

Postby who_me » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 pm

I live in the city centre (Patricks Quay) and every night can see/hear cars racing along Merchants and Patricks Quays. This is just a few hundred yards away from the main Garda station in the city (Anglesea St.), yet I never see anything done about it.

IMO, they seem to have decided it's too dangerous to chase them, so have decided to let them be.
who_me

Return to Ireland