retention

retention

Postby will21 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:06 pm

Please could anyone give me some advice,i knocked an old farm shed and built a two bed cottage the same size,i did not get planning,it is about mile off the road down a country lane.There would be no objections if i applied for planning,i built it with a credit union loan which are costing me a fortune,my bank told me if i got planning they would give me a mortgage which would work out half what i am paying to the credit union.The house is four years old.Would i get retention easily or would i be best advised staying away from the planning process.Any advice?
will21

Re: retention

Postby StephenC » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:59 pm

LOL Hilarious.
You know you are effectively breaking the law by NOT having planning permission. As it is you are open to enforcement action from your local planning authority (Council). Having said that they dont seem too bothered if you built the house 4 years ago. Only 3 more years befiore its considered permitted by default. It could be a nervy 3 years though.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby will21 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 pm

cool thanks for that,i can wait 3 years,why be honest in this country when the people running it dont have to be.
will21

Postby Pot Noodle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:32 pm

I've heard of a guy who put up a load of haystacks in front of his house waited and got away with it
Pot Noodle

Postby damproof » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Here, don’t wish to rain on your parade but I'm afraid you won't have planning by default - the planning authority will be barred from initiating enforcement action but you won't have planning by default. What's the difference?? Well, firstly, as you already know, getting a mortgage on an unauthorised house or using it as collateral is almost impossible, similarly getting a loan for an extension. Secondly, you will lose any exemptions that you would ordinarily have i.e. simple maintenance jobs such as fixing the roof will be unauthorised development – leaving you open for prosecution for another seven years. Thirdly, if for any reason the state decides to compulsorily purchase your house and land you’ll get paid agricultural land prices and you won’t get paid for a dwelling. Finally, for all these reasons, who do you think would buy this house when you eventually have to sell it? You might not imagine ever selling it now but circumstances change over a lifetime. I’ve seen somebody who took very poor advice many years ago in a situation not dissimilar to the one you describe and the eventual outcome was not pretty – that’s the only reason I write this. The planning process will cost money and time and may be frustrating but what price peace of mind?? Your indignation of how the country is run won’t be of any comfort if you eventually get screwed for not having permission.
damproof

Postby damproof » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:34 pm

The haystack house was somewhere in southwest England where the statute of limitations is only four years. I remember seeing it in a newspaper article a while back – it came complete with turrets and castellation. The family were pretty proud of how they pulled one over on the system and the planning authority, by their curt statements, seemed pretty sore. Anyone have a link to the original article or an update on how it turned out??
damproof

Postby Pot Noodle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:28 am

[email="http://www.strangeharvest.com/mt/archive/blog/haystack_house.php"]http://www.strangeharvest.com/mt/archive/blog/haystack_house.php[/email]
Pot Noodle

Postby AT001 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 am

Fact of the matter is you shouldn't have built it without planning. you are in the wrong not the country/council etc.

I thought the whole point was that you could get a mortgage so you wouldn't have to pay high credit union loan???? Not how do I get away without getting planning.

Also does your insurance company know?? Coz if the worst happened and it burnt to the ground I'm say the T&C would mean you wouldn't get a penny for an illegal building???
AT001

Postby S.O.S. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:34 pm

damproof wrote:The haystack house was somewhere in southwest England where the statute of limitations is only four years. I remember seeing it in a newspaper article a while back – it came complete with turrets and castellation. The family were pretty proud of how they pulled one over on the system and the planning authority, by their curt statements, seemed pretty sore. Anyone have a link to the original article or an update on how it turned out??

As far as I recall they didn't pull the wool over anybodys eyes because the process is based on from the first monent it is seen and since it was hidden behind hay stacks well I'm not sure if he had to tear it down or not but he should have had to.

Here's the link
S.O.S.

Return to Irish Planning Matters