Viable development in Cork in the .....

Viable development in Cork in the .....

Postby gbohr » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi this is my first post. I'm in 4th yr Construction Management in CIT and found this website really useful before to get info on construction projects and planning issues in Cork before.

So I was just hoping someone people here could help me.

Can anyone think of a large scale development that is in anyway viable in Cork. Need to find a good site and a large or complex development to put on it as either a public funded scheme or that of a private developer. I have go through the development process from feasibility to contracts for it for a final year college project.

The identified site development must be something realistic and financially justifiable. Only thing is you cant copy any previous plans on the site for the development you choose, e.g if a planning application was made on the site for hotel, i cant propose a hotel.

My ideas have all turned out infeasible so far basically cos hard to justify need for anything in the recession.

Basically im just looking for any serious ideas for an area/site that is in need of some large scale public/private development, that would make money or would justify Gov funds cos it serves the public.

Examples could be a school, a shopping centre, a private hospital, sports complex etc.,
I'm really stuck for ideas so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
gbohr

Re: Viable development in Cork in the .....

Postby who_me » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:32 pm

A shared/municipal stadium in the docklands?

To be used - principally by the GAA, Cork City, and Munster rugby.
who_me

Postby Angry Rebel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:49 am

A shelter for homeless developers and builders :D
Angry Rebel

Postby jungle » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:42 am

Finding any viable development at the moment is tough going indeed.

As a site, I'd suggest you look at the one in Douglas that covers the cinema and the petrol station. Douglas hasn't suffered the same level of business closures and empty premises as other areas of the city. And that site is very low density. Working against you is the fact that there has already been a planning application (refused) on the site, which would restrict the development possibilities. It would be best to incorporate a new cinema into the site,

In terms of other developments, a multi-sports centre with facilities for non-mainstream sports (i.e. not GAA, Rugby, Soccer and maybe Basketball) would be useful in the city. This would be especially true on the Northside. Also, there isn't a proper velodrome in the country (there is one sub-standard, outdoor one in Dublin). Incorporating an indoor one could have some benefit in funding as cycling is an Olympic Sport and could produce future revenues, as it can also be used as an indoor concert venue.
jungle

Postby missarchi » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:41 am

Nuclear power station... anything the ESB touches turns to gold with 5%
missarchi
Old Master

Postby gbohr » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:27 am

I decided to go with redeveloping the bonded warehouses. So any tips, ideas or additional info on Cork Bonded warehouses would be appreciated. So I suppose it may be more relevant to post any ideas on this here: Irish Architecture Planning Forums > Ireland > Cork Reload this Page Bonded Warehouse at Custom House Quay, Cork
gbohr

Return to Ireland