Limerick City Council's Riverside Projects

Limerick City Council's Riverside Projects

Postby CologneMike » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm

The Council published their “Public Realm Strategy” for Limerick in October 2006. From the riverside projects, phase 1 and parts of phase 2 are now complete.

Phase 1
  • Clancy’s Strand ~ Boardwalk (Treaty Stone - Curragour Bund)
  • Curragour Bund ~ Mini Park / Boat Slipways
  • Clancy’s Strand ~ Promenade (Curragour Bund- Sarsfield Bridge)
Phase 2
  • O’Callaghan’s Strand ~ Promenade / Boat Slipway (Sarsfield Bridge – Condell Bridge)
  • Steamboat Quay ~ Skateboard Park

My overall impression so far is very positive. The boardwalk is very nice to walk on, but not really nice to look at from castle side of the river. The building materials used for the promenades are top, alas some uneven surface parts on O’Callaghan Strand to be seen.

Are people happy with it so far?

Proposed Costs

Possible Timetable

CologneMike
Old Master

Re: City Council’s Riverside Projects

Postby CologneMike » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Clancy’s Strand Boardwalk - Treaty Stone

Clancy’s Strand Boardwalk – City Hall

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 pm

I didn't know there were definite plans for the upgrading of the stretch from City Hall to Thomond Bridge. Presumably this means the ill-advised boardwalk along the front of King John's Castle is still very much on the agenda?

Image Image
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 pm

After the completion of the Clancy and O'Callaghan Strand revamps, the next riverside project to get underway was meant to have been the quayside between Sarsfield Bridge and Shannon Bridge. Clearly the recession has put paid to this for the time being.

The plans look quite good though!

"On the city-side of the river, extensive proposals for the upgrading of The Bishop's Quay, Howley's Quay and Harvey's Quay, including pedestrian priority treatments, cantilevered board walks, lookout structures and high quality surfaces, lighting and street furniture, are also currently at the Part 8 Planning Stage."

Limerick Public Realm Design Guide

Image Image Image
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Tuborg wrote:I didn't know there were definite plans for the upgrading of the stretch from City Hall to Thomond Bridge. Presumably this means the ill-advised boardwalk along the front of King John's Castle is still very much on the agenda?

Ideas for a boardwalk along the base of the castle wall, is a nice exercise to explore.

But that’s it I hope!

Practically, the boardwalk would have to raised-up above high tide levels and thus would visually have a negative effect on the heritage value of the castle itself.

On top of that, I believe the riverfront walkway would make sense to route it’s way along Castle Lane / Castle Street so as to focus on the visitor amenities there (Museum, Castle and Bishop’s Palace).
Attachments
CastleBoardwalkAerial.jpg
CastleBoardwalkAerial.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 9774 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:50 pm

CologneMike wrote:Ideas for a boardwalk along the base of the castle wall, is a nice exercise to explore.

But that’s it I hope!

Practically, the boardwalk would have to raised-up above high tide levels and thus would visually have a negative effect on the heritage value of the castle itself.

On top of that, I believe the riverfront walkway would make sense to route it’s way along Castle Lane / Castle Street so as to focus on the visitor amenities there (Museum, Castle and Bishop’s Palace).

Yeah, if we really want to attract more visitors to our modest "medieval quarter" (hate that term btw), there isn't much point in essentially bypassing it with a new route to the front of the castle.

It would be a different story had a quay or promenade already existed along the riverfront but it dosent and that should be the end of it. Sticking a boardwalk onto the castle would I feel, only serve to further enhance the disneyland effect, originally created by Castle Lane!:o

Incidentally, I wonder have the Council any plans to do anything more constructive with their staff car park behind City Hall?:rolleyes:
Attachments
KJC.jpg
KJC.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 9767 times
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Tuborg wrote:Incidentally, I wonder have the Council any plans to do anything more constructive with their staff car park behind City Hall?:rolleyes:

That’s some site!

What old remnants lie under the car park I can’t recall, but a new lane running parallel with the Alm cottages with a mix of residential / café, restaurant use would be an ideal replacement. Building materials of façades should be limestone.

Images above / below of riverside walk along city hall showing remnants at the base of the city council car park.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Junior » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:11 am

[quote="CologneMike"]That’s some site!

What old remnants lie under the car park I can’t recall, but a new lane running parallel with the Alm cottages with a mix of residential / café, restaurant use would be an ideal replacement. Building materials of façades should be limestone.

The site under the car park is one of the best kept secrets in Limerick, a complete medieval undercroft/cellar was discovered there during the construction of the city hall, the two blocked doorways lead directly into a barrel vaulted cellar 20 m long ,7 m wide,with a range five arched bays separated by a central arched wall, the building dates to the 13th century and is contemporary to the castle ,the wicker centering and arched bays were inserted in the late medieval period.
I've been inside on a few occasions and its very impressive, the corporation literally don't know what to do with it, there were plans to open the cellar as a riverside amenity but its just forgotten, it's my pet project to have it opened and properly appreciated.
Attachments
email.jpg
email.jpg (149.68 KiB) Viewed 9751 times
Junior

Postby CologneMike » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Nice sketch, I remember having a glimpse into it a few years back before they blocked it up.

Junior wrote:. . . . . . . . the corporation literally don't know what to do with it, there were plans to open the cellar as a riverside amenity but its just forgotten, . . . . . .

Maybe it was a good thing that they “moth-balled” it till the time is ripe to properly take it a stage further.

How would you like to see it been used yourself?

Going from the colour scheme (pink) in the map above then this area should be the next phase in line (along with the quays) to be rolled out.

Instead of running a boardwalk along the base of the castle, I think they would be better diverting that money towards a fund for opening that medieval undercroft/cellar.

Above is a view of the steps descending to the river between King John’s Castle and Thomond Bridge. If I’m right, then one can see that the tide comes up as far as the fourth step in this image. Therefore one gets a fair idea of the height required to run the boardwalk. Controversial!!!

By the way it would be nice if the council could repair the cavity :( on the right with an appropriate block of limestone, as the saying goes a stitch in time saves nine!

Below: Optional proposals for provision of pedestrian link around the base of the Castle.
Attachments
CastleBoardwalkSketch.jpg
CastleBoardwalkSketch.jpg (77.64 KiB) Viewed 9738 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby justnotbothered » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:47 am

Junior wrote:
CologneMike wrote:That’s some site!

The site under the car park is one of the best kept secrets in Limerick, a complete medieval undercroft/cellar was discovered there during the construction of the city hall, the two blocked doorways lead directly into a barrel vaulted cellar 20 m long ,7 m wide,with a range five arched bays separated by a central arched wall, the building dates to the 13th century and is contemporary to the castle ,the wicker centering and arched bays were inserted in the late medieval period.
I've been inside on a few occasions and its very impressive, the corporation literally don't know what to do with it, there were plans to open the cellar as a riverside amenity but its just forgotten, it's my pet project to have it opened and properly appreciated.

Interesting posts.

In a way it's good that it's being mothballed, imo.

Ideally a team of experts would make a complete survey of the "Medieval Quarter" and then draw up a development plan to on how best to restore some integrity to the area. It wouldn't have to be done all at once but a series of projects running for the foreseeable future should be started. Something like Limerick Civic Trust only solely focussed on the Medieval Quarter.

Developing it in a piecemeal fashion could easily lead to a disjointed development.
justnotbothered

Postby CologneMike » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:26 pm

justnotbothered wrote:Interesting posts.

Indeed interesting projects! Limerick City Council Links . . .

Limerick Public Realm Design Guide

Limerick City Centre Remodelling and Pedestrianisation (O’Callaghan Strand and Curragour Plans)

Mayor of Limerick opens €2.1 million Clancy’s Strand restoration project

justnotbothered wrote:Ideally a team of experts would make a complete survey of the "Medieval Quarter" and then draw up a development plan to on how best to restore some integrity to the area. It wouldn't have to be done all at once but a series of projects running for the foreseeable future should be started. Something like Limerick Civic Trust only solely focussed on the Medieval Quarter.

Denis Leonard (Limerick Civic Trust) expressed similar sentiments a while back where he said that a priority would be to appoint a heritage and a conservation officer.

"Most other cities have heritage and conservation officers - the Heritage Council of Ireland pays 50 per cent of their salaries - Limerick City Council must be urged to make these appointments.

Did anything come out of it?

By the way have you seen the new Clancy Strand Boardwalk where parts of the railing are covered with sheets of plywood. :confused: Any idea what the storey is behind that?
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Junior » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:18 pm

The most puzzling thing about the designation of 'Medieval Quarter' is that not only does it exclude Irishtown,thereby diminishing its historical significance but on King's Island the northern section of the medieval town from Castle St. northwards is also cut off.
The Bishop's Palace, the home of the Limerick Civic Trust probably contains quite a bit of medieval fabric,especially in the basement.It was the site of Striches Castle prior to its remodeling as a Palladian structure.
On Verdant Place along the Shannon north of Thomond Bridge there is a fine stretch of the medieval town wall complete with the remains of two round mural towers.
I think this is a pointless omission from the medieval quarter, it seems that the council is solely concentrating on King John's Castle and St.Mary's Cathedral and not realising the possible economic and tourism potential literally on their doorstep.

The plywood boards on the Clancy's Strand boardwalk have thankfully been removed.
Junior

Postby CologneMike » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Clancy’s Strand ~ Curragour Bund

The river has been for years a very under utilised resource. Much so its nice to see this bund been used for water sport! :cool: When the tide falls, coupled with a spring flood and the ESB releases water at Ardnacrusha. Then the conditions are ideal for the kayakers to hit the falls!

Kayaking image above from this years “National Championships and Team Selection” from paddleforfun.

See also: Adrian Shanahan, Playak, Limerick Canoe Club

Image from last years completed park. It has both pedestrian and limited vehicular access (boat slipways). The entrances can be closed for high spring tides.

Drawing of the Curragour Bund.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 pm

June Deadline for City’s Docker Monument (Limerick Independent)

A MONUMENT to honour the contribution of Limerick’s dockworkers is expected to be erected over the coming months and officially unveiled in June, writes Rachael Finucane. The work will consist of two life-sized dockers carrying a plank and will be at Spokane Walk between Bishop’s and Honan’s Quays. The design—by Limerick-born artist, Michael Duhan—was significantly scaled down from four figures to two and will cost €63,000 as opposed to the original €92,000 estimate.

At a meeting of the arts, culture and sports SPC this Monday, arts officer, said: “We had our first meeting at the site with the artist as well as two officials from the Transport and Infrastructure Department and Cllr Jim Long. The two figures will be in front of the old ESB building, near the river. We hope to have it in place by June.” Cllr Long welcomed the long-awaited monument and said that original cobblestones taken up in the redevelopment of the dockland area will be incorporated into the memorial.

“We have collected over 360 dockers’ names and are in discussions with a local printer to produce a booklet on the history of the docks. This monument is four or five years in the making and I’m looking forward to this commemoration of the working class people of Limerick.”

Is this work for the monument in tandem with the planned boardwalk for the quays?

See timetable and costs for phase 3 at the top of the page.

See also similar monument / location from Dublin.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 pm

I wonder were those projects costed during a different economic climate? :D

€7.5 million for the quayside between Shannon and Sarsfield Bridges? You would think that significant savings could be achieved now! This stretch is in really dire need of attention, the pavements and road surface are crumbling and the riverside railings look like they're going to fall into the Shannon fairly soon!

I've no idea what the situation regarding funding is though. The latest is that they hope to get started on William Street this Summer although there has been so many false starts on that front, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up!

I wonder will the limited funding thats currently available be reserved for city centre re-modelling, thus leaving the remaining riverside projects on the long finger?
Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Tuborg wrote:I wonder were those projects costed during a different economic climate? :D

€7.5 million for the quayside between Shannon and Sarsfield Bridges? You would think that significant savings could be achieved now! This stretch is in really dire need of attention, the pavements and road surface are crumbling and the riverside railings look like they're going to fall into the Shannon fairly soon!

Looking at the figures and the coloured time schedule for phase 3, they reveal some conflicting facts. :confused: For one, Honan’s Quay is on the Arthur’s Quay side of the bridge. Technically they are 4 quays between the two bridges (i.e. Harvey’s, Howley’s, Bishop’s and Russell’s), but I suppose they are referring to the whole stretch as Harvey’s Quay? Also coloured are Lower Shannon and Cecil Streets. The Boardwalk itself resembles bridging segments thus more expensive?

I've no idea what the situation regarding funding is though.

That’s the big bord snip question! The private sector played their part on the redevelopment of the riverfront, so the city council / department of finance must fulfil theirs. This investment would repay economic dividends for the city as it would attract locals and visitors to the whole riverfront.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:16 pm

O’Callaghan Strand

The O’Callaghan Strand promenade looks very well from Sarsfield’s Bridge down as far the slipway (St. Michael’s Rowing Club). It’s now a very nice stroll from Thomond Bridge to Condell Bridge. :cool:

Two issues here:

On O’Callaghan Strand, the council has created a riverside promenade protected by maritime-style railings along the Shannon’s north bank. But the design by Nicholas de Jong, who seems to have done most of Limerick’s new public spaces, is marred by tubular railings to the rear that seem quite superfluous

Irish Times ~ Frank McDonald May 2009

Secondly, sadly there is some very poor finishing on a part of it where the pavement merges with the limestone quay. The crooked line here is not an aesthetic sight and an uneven surface is prone to cause personal injuries. I would love to know the city official who signed this work off as acceptable. See image below.

Previous Posts 2377, 2376, 2065, 978
Attachments
OCallaghansStrand.jpg
OCallaghansStrand.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 9615 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:17 pm

CologneMike wrote:Looking at the figures and the coloured time schedule for phase 3, they reveal some conflicting facts. :confused: For one, Honan’s Quay is on the Arthur’s Quay side of the bridge. Technically they are 4 quays between the two bridges (i.e. Harvey’s, Howley’s, Bishop’s and Russell’s), but I suppose they are referring to the whole stretch as Harvey’s Quay? Also coloured are Lower Shannon and Cecil Streets. The Boardwalk itself resembles bridging segments thus more expensive?

That’s the big bord snip question! The private sector played their part on the redevelopment of the riverfront, so the city council / department of finance must fulfil theirs. This investment would repay economic dividends for the city as it would attract locals and visitors to the whole riverfront.

I’d actually forgotten about the boardwalk even though it was I who posted the plans for it a few months back! :o It would definitely add quite a bit to the cost of the overall project alright!

It’s not totally clear from the renders that have been released so far but it looks like the proposed boardwalk will run from Poor Man’s Kilkee to in or around the slipway/steps on Howley’s Quay. The quayside is wider from this point on towards Shannon Bridge so I don’t think that a boardwalk is needed here anyway. Although maybe a boardwalk could be considered from Poor Man’s Kilkee to Sarsfield Bridge?

Unfortunately those quays are virtually deserted at the moment. Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 businesses that are operating at the moment. The vacant ESB site, Henry Street Garda station, the former Sarsfield Bridge hotel and adjacent apartment block all need to be redeveloped if we are to eventually entice new businesses like cafes, restaurants etc to open up and bring some vibrancy to the riverfront.

Of course there is also the question of what to do with the Boat Club. This site has a key part to play in the redevelopment of the city quays!

Proposed Boardwalk

Tuborg

Postby CologneMike » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Skatepark ~ Steamboat Quay

The Skatepark seems to be a big hit since it opened in summer 2008.

According to the Council it costed around €300,000 to construct, which seems to me to be good value for money.

Image by dropsideeazy

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Vance V » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:21 am

Nice to know about the project. Boat club is the wonderful place where a person can join together and can have a great fun. Having a boat club will have so many advantages as so many people to like to join in a boat club to have a nice time. Many people join boat clubs because there are persons with the same interests where every one can share there own views about boating.
Vance V

Postby CologneMike » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Skyfest comes to Limerick tonight (Limerick Leader)

Saturday 13th March

The National Lottery sponsored firework spectacular 'Skyfest' will feature 1.5 tonnes of fireworks launched over Limerick city on Saturday evening, with up to 50,000 people expected to line the banks of the River Shannon to watch the proceedings.

Hmmm . . . . . . . . that should provide an interesting “stress test” for the new board walk?

Here just some superb images of the firework spectacle.

David Hunt, Fergal Clohessy, Lean66 :cool:
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Arthur’s Quay Park 1991 (Murray Ó Laoire Architects)

MOLA were commissioned in 1986 by Limerick Corporation to instigate a riverside study which sought to give a physical and strategic context to impending incentives legislation for Limerick.

This framework plan allowed Limerick Corporation (in association with Shannon Development Co.) to identify a number of amenity and non commercial projects related to the development of tourism infrastructure such as the new Tourist Information and Civic Park. The Park was reclaimed and a new quay front walkway constructed along with performances spaces and planted areas.

As part of the regeneration of Arthur’s Quay Park, a new landmark Tourist facility was constructed at the entrance to the park. The brief included a covered outdoor meeting area. Both functions are combined in a suspension structure signalling the entrance to the park.

The programme from brief to completion was 10 months, and building itself was completed on site in 8 weeks.

The project has received substantial recognition through national and international awards and publications including the prestigious R.I.A.I's Triennial Gold Medal for Architecture in 1995.

The street railings were removed two years ago . . . . . . . an unusual measure to improve public safety.
Attachments
ArthusQuayDerailed.jpg
ArthusQuayDerailed.jpg (107.92 KiB) Viewed 9496 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby WelshinLimerick » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 pm

CologneMike wrote:The street railings were removed two years ago . . . . . . . an unusual measure to improve public safety.

Lack of passive surveillance saw an end to the railings.
The park is much safer with them gone.
WelshinLimerick

Postby teak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 am

Never mind the boardwalks.

Look at the Thompson proposal for the river amenities -

http://www.riverchance.com/

Isn't the idea of converting the drydock to a lido brilliant ?
teak

Postby CologneMike » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 pm

teak wrote:Look at the Thompson proposal for the river amenities

Urban Beach
A very short bathing season June to September with Irish weather permitting. A glass dome urban beach all year round would be a great asset. Though the cut-stone dry dock is worth preserving.

Lookout Bridge
A practical solution at a dangerous road crossing point. The skateboard scene will like it too. It was a pity that the resources were not there in the late eighties to build a suspension bridge in the first place i.e. instead of from riverbank to riverbank but suspending it from the height of Henry Street to the other side thus giving the Dock Road / O’Callaghan’s Strand enough clearance to drive / walk under it.

People’s Piers
It would clutter up the river in my opinion, if people want to get closer to the river then get in a boat.

Weir Walk
Nice idea, piggy-backing along the weir. Though I would fear it could blot out the view of the Abbey River from the Clancy’s Strand side?
Attachments
Riverchance.jpg
Riverchance.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 9409 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Next

Return to Ireland