dublin airport terminal

Does the architectural quality appear low?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 43

Re: dublin airport terminal

Postby archipig » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:23 am

There is definitely a new control tower complex going in with the second runway and yes the height will be 80m.

Planning was to be done this year for it but the new tower is only needed to coincide with the second runway which has now been put on hold.
archipig

Postby EIA340600 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:11 pm

EIA340600

Postby darkman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:17 am

darkman

Postby daithi09 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:14 pm

not what it should have been but having worked on the design of that for 18 months and having to deal with US immigration and their needs, well I am happy enough with it.
daithi09

Postby lunasa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:50 am

lunasa

Postby Global Citizen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:00 am

On "Today with Pat Kenny"; RTE. Radio 1 this morning, the host was given a sneak preview of the new terminal building. He was shown around the facility by an (understandably enthusiastic) spokesman for the DAA. Although there were the familiar hackneyed references to the "high tech" and "state of the art" nature of the project, it was in interesting audio tour nonetheless. Worth a listen if you get time. If you want to catch it online the clip began about 15 minutes into the programme after a piece about the ongoing shennanigans at FÁS. It was interesting to note how the DAA spokesman (I didn't catch his name), enthused about the new terminal opening around the same time as the conference centre and new Lansdowne road, with the suggestion of a synergy between the three projects.
Global Citizen

Postby neutral » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:48 am

The DAA spokesman was CEO Declan Collier I tuned in about half way through it and found it worth while to listen to.
neutral

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Peter Fitz

Postby DjangoD » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Might make for an interesting view of the belly of the beast...

New road for Dublin airport

A new access road at Dublin airport will officially open tomorrow.

Passengers who are being dropped off at the airport by car will now have to access the terminal by taking the new road, which takes motorists through the centre of the soon-to-be-opened Terminal 2.

Passengers using the short-term car park and those arriving by taxi, bus and coach will, for another two months, continue to access Terminal 1 by the existing approach road.

From March all passengers departing from Terminal 1 will access that terminal via the new approach road.

The traffic changes are part of the ongoing programme to upgrade the airport’s campus roads and will be clearly signposted on overhead gantries and other signage as vehicles enter the airport.

Terminal 2 is due come on stream in November with a capacity of 15 million passengers. It will accommodate all of the airport’s long-haul traffic and offer a unique new customs clearance facility for US-bound passengers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0125/breaking60.htm
Attachments
1224263102411.jpg
1224263102411.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 6189 times
DjangoD

Postby Bago » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:34 am

approach road bit like the sex scene in the naked gun, trains into tunnels and all that. Went through it today, certainly something new for ireland anyway.
Bago

Postby tommyt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Bago wrote:approach road bit like the sex scene in the naked gun, trains into tunnels and all that. Went through it today, certainly something new for ireland anyway.

:)Very explicit. Have you seen the ad elswhere looking for a new Architecture critic for the Sunday Times:p
tommyt

Postby Cathal Dunne » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Bago wrote:approach road bit like the sex scene in the naked gun, trains into tunnels and all that. Went through it today, certainly something new for ireland anyway.

Indeed. One could call it a Freudian slip-road.
Cathal Dunne

Postby gunter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 am

Oh I can see this thread following the Lansdowne Road thread . . . . down the sewer

On the building itself, are we sure that it's wise to design a bottleneck into a mass transportation building?
gunter
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 am

gunter wrote:On the building itself, are we sure that it's wise to design a bottleneck into a mass transportation building?

The building can be demolished gunter, whats your point !?

just two through lanes isn't it?
Peter Fitz

Postby darkman » Mon May 03, 2010 2:01 pm

darkman

Postby PVC King » Mon May 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Looking at it last week it is really taking shape; Dublin Airport is going to be a real pleasure once this opens up given the amount of floorspace in proportion to the number of passengers. I would love to see Aer Lingus develop swap codeshares with a US carrier opening up new US destinations to unlock their impressive European route network. The floorspace to make Dublin viable is in sight.
PVC King

Postby EIA340600 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:20 pm

A video tour from DAA : http://www.dublinairportauthority.co...s/introt2.html

From the off, I've been sceptical about passenger flows in the new terminal.This "tour" only heightens my fears.

For starters, departing passengers have to rise 2 floors after check in for security and shopping, only to have to descend 2 floors again to get to the gates.OR (USA bound passengers) descend 3 floors and rise another.
This is done so that arriving passengers only have one level change.

In the current terminal departing passengers have NO level changes and arriving passengers have one(after getting off the plane).

Not only do passengers have to change floors time and time again, but departing and arriving passengers actually intersect on the 1st floor of the terminal!!Never have I seen this happen outside of tiny regional airports.By the looks of things, departing passengers will have to walk through the ever present crowds of waiting plebs to get to security.

This layout is there because of the "bridge" over the T1 road.However, the roads were re-arranged to suit the new terminal, not the other way round.Therefore the bridge was unnecessary, and a more traditional and more effective terminal could have been designed.

Even if the bridge had to be there, a more flow friendly layout could have been adopted, with arrivals on the ground floor, check-in on the first and security on the 2nd, with the pier layout changed respectively.
Or arrivals on the top with check-in and security below.

In other words there were a million different possibilities that could have been used to design a more user friendly Terminal.I am dubious about T2 in that respect.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think T2 will be an incredibly annoying place to pass through..But I guess I'll have to wait and see...It looks well though..
EIA340600

Postby EIA340600 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:47 pm

PVC King wrote:I would love to see Aer Lingus develop swap codeshares with a US carrier opening up new US destinations to unlock their impressive European route network.

They already have codeshares with Jetblue and United Airlines that open up a vast amount of cities to Aer Lingus passengers.They even have through-checked bags and it's all on one ticket.
EIA340600

Postby PVC King » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Not trying to be funny but Aer Lingus don't do trans-atlantic; they have a few flights to Boston, New York, Chicago and San Fran plus a tourist flight to Orlando (should have been Miami). They don't have the money to expand and no doubt Ryanair would do a harder deal on a new fleet with Boeing the next time a major US or European carrier falls over and is unable to complete an order as they are sitting on billions in cash; but in the absence of financial armegeddon I can see very little chance of RYA parting with it until it gets to the point of unfair subsidies being overlooked because protectionism is a forgone conclusion.

However there is a massive market from the both the US and Europe from secondary city to secondary city; the route map out of Dublin to secondary cities in Europe is when Aer Lingus and Ryanair is combined is very impressive. What is missing are the routes to secondary cities such as St Louis, Portland, Denver, Detroit etc that for all but the largest European hubs require a change anyway. Sadly no airline Irish or otherwise flies these routes so Airports like CDG, Schipol and Heathrow get the business often with three legged connections. Code share is no consolation for missing a flight between legs resulting in delays; with the absolute supply side advantage that the DAA possess they should be offering free landing charges for 3 years for any new Transatlantic and South American routes and get their short term income via the turnover provisions of the retail leases which could rebuild their duty free business that was decimated a decade ago and was for a long time their largest revenue stream.
PVC King

Postby EIA340600 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Most of these flights can be completed in two legs, something that services from Dublin to US secondary cities couldn't improve on.If I want to go to, say, Charlotte I either fly direct to New York (Aer Lingus) and onto Charlotte (Jetblue) or I fly to London and straight to Charlotte.Two changes.

Dublin just dosn't have the demand for routes to lots of secondary cities on its own.The only way for it to get them is to try become a major hub (as every other European airport is trying to do).I'm not saying it shouldn't try but the reality is that 4 major hubs, with even more relatively major ones, in Europe is probably all that's required now.

Unless Dublin gets that parallel runway it wants PLUS an extension to its current runway it can't become a hub.
EIA340600

Postby PVC King » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 pm

I agree with everthing that you say as things stand; however there is terminal capacity for 30m pax in the existing terminal and roughly the same again with Terminal 2; the choices for DAA is lose money operating both or mothball one or other terminal as either has independent excess capacity or do what Schipol has done and build an important hub from a City without the population base to justify the routes they have based on population.

The cancelation of the Third Runway at Heathrow has BA looking to Madrid to build capacity; CDG is a nightmare and Frankfurt too far East for trans-atlantic. DAA have little to lose drawing up a list of cities in the Americas with flights only to say London and Paris and targeting airlines that redistribute the majority of passengers on these flights upon landing beyond London or Paris. It has to be worth some research if it were to work it would put the capacity in place to justify the planned second runway; as it stands Dublin has terminal capacity for 50-60m pax and 1 runway a situation that ensures that passengers at Dublin will have a very comfortable passenger environment for the forseeable future and that DAA have a strong business case to give free landing charges to cut underlying loses without it being considered loss leading.
PVC King

Postby GregF » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I like it....the bit I've seen of it...that's mainly the exterior. It looks cool...quite futuristic and Sci-Fi

A great stylish back drop for a movie with that long stretch of road. Interesting to see if any Irish director will utilize it.
GregF
Old Master

Postby cryans » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:14 pm

At least when new comers land at Dublin they will see a modern Terminal and have a good first impression. :)

I have been told by one person who came here to work that they thought they were about to enter some third world country when they seen the jumble of Airport buildings on landing :eek:

But looks like the new terminal will suffer a similar fate as the old central Termainl building which opened its doors in 1940, I think a war broke out or something so it must have been idle for many years. As will this new T2 be quite empty for many years at huge expense. :(
cryans

Postby EIA340600 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:43 pm

cryans wrote:But looks like the new terminal will suffer a similar fate as the old central Termainl building which opened its doors in 1940, I think a war broke out or something so it must have been idle for many years. As will this new T2 be quite empty for many years at huge expense. :(

The 40's terminal was designed with an eventual capacity of 15 m.p.p.a. This was raised to 20 m.p.p.a and eventually 23m.p.p.a with the opening of area 14 check in.T2 is designed to cater for 15 m.p.p.a. T1 will be cut back to cater for a max of 20 m.p.p.a again after T2's opening.

This will leave 19 million passengers between the two terminals which have a combined capacity of 35 m.p.p.a.So both terminals will be handling just above half of their capacity.I believe that this is a comfortable level with enough room for growth in the coming years.

It'll be quite a while before we get up to 35 m.p.p.a but if the DAA try hard enough to market their prime position in Europe, customs and border preclearance and extrra capacity then growth should happen quickly(provided they get a new runway capable of handling fully loaded long range aircraft such as the Boeing 777 and Airbus A340).
EIA340600

Postby PVC King » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:32 am

I agree with all the positives you have listed but would add two further points; firstly London Gatwick LGW flew 31m pax in 2007 from a single runway; excluding Virgin's holiday flights the vast bulk of these were on short haul and medium haul routes. On that basis a second runway will not be required for another 50% passenger growth or say 15 years taking 2.5% pax growth unless new passenger growth and resulting revenue streams are generated through new initiatives. Secondly Dublin Airport already flies many widebody aircraft such as the Airbus A330 which is equivelent to a Boeing 777; historically IE also flew 747 or the largest civilian aircraft other than the A380 which is not an aircraft that will fly anything other than major hubs where landing slots are an issue and or soverign wealth fund owned airlines being crass; you would anticipate that this will continue for the forseable future.

With current excess terminal capacity standing at least 19m pax; revenue growth howsoever acheived must be the only priority of the DAA; as they now have a customer experience to rival the best in terms of terminal capacity per passenger. Looking at Schipol being above Frankfurt and Hong Kong in terms of passenger numbers it does indicate it can be done; no doubt the Schipol model relies heavily on duty free to compete on terminal charges. The pre-clearance into the US is a real edge; US immigration are almost too good at their job in terms of passenger experience and the ability to land in a domestic terminal as BA have done with their London City via Shannon to New York flight is pure gold to those where time is the key driver.
PVC King

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland