No Ive already checked, its not April 1: Martin Cullen Wins Conservation Award

No Ive already checked, its not April 1: Martin Cullen Wins Conservation Award

Postby hutton » Wed May 11, 2005 1:42 am

Cullen’s support for restoration of cathedrals recognised

Minister for Transport Martin Cullen has been presented with the John Roberts Prize in recognition of his support for the restoration of the city’s two John Roberts-designed Cathedrals.

The wording of the citation is as follows: “This is in recognition of the outstanding support that he, while Minister with responsibility for the Office of Public Works and later as Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, gave towards the restoration of the Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity commonly known as Christ Church, Waterford and the Cathedral Church of the Most Holy Trinity in Waterford.

“The generous financial support for the restoration projects undertaken in both cathedrals has ensured that Roberts’ seminal building, Christ Church, and his final masterpiece, the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, will remain icons of Waterford city’s architectural heritage and are preserved for present and future generations to enjoy and worship within.”

The presentation of the award took place as part of the John Roberts Weekend in the Municipal Gallery, Greyfriars, on Sunday last at the opening of the RIAI Irish Architecture Awards 2004 exhibition by Mr. Tony Reddy, President of the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland.
© Waterford News and Star

Ah Marty - Sure hes becoming a bit of a national monument himself :p
hutton

Re: No Ive already checked, its not April 1: Martin Cullen Wins Conservation Award

Postby PVC King » Wed May 11, 2005 2:27 am

hutton wrote:The wording of the citation is as follows: “This is in recognition of the outstanding support that he, while Minister with responsibility for the Office of Public Works and later as Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, gave towards Waterford and in Waterford.

Nothing like throwing a few pennies to the local artisans ;)
PVC King

Re: No Ive already checked, its not April 1: Martin Cullen Wins Conservation Award

Postby ctesiphon » Wed May 18, 2005 3:34 pm

Ever get the feeling that if Tara was in Waterford none of this messing would have happened?
I recall a case a few years ago (late 1990s?) where an agency (NRA? Dept of Transport?) wanted to upgrade a road in Co. Waterford. They had two choices: the sensible choice that trimmed land off a few farms/estates along the route; or the other one that removed the boundary walls and shelter belt of trees along the perimeter of Mount Congreve, i.e. the planting that created the microclimate that made Mount Congreve one of the most significant plant collections in the whole of the British Isles- regarded by those in the know as of International significance. Cullen pressed for the latter, mainly for political reasons. (Well, it was hardly for conservation reasons.)
It appears to me that Cullen is happy to support conservation causes where there are votes to be got, but otherwise not. Hardly the definition of a conscientious conservationist.

Well, my fair-weather friend, remind me to look you up in a real crisis.

Kissinger/Nobel Peace Prize/Satire/Tom Lehrer anyone?
ctesiphon
Old Master

Return to Ireland