Luas, Metro and DART - Drawings and Photomontages

Re: Luas, Metro and DART - Drawings and Photomontages

Postby SeamusOG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:47 am

Sounds harsh, Morlan.

The site has been going through a lull in the last while, it is true. I suspect that this is, to a large extent, because times are tough in the architectural/planning sector and people are currently not willing to share their views and ideas in the way that they were.
SeamusOG

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:33 am

SeamusOG wrote:Sounds harsh, Morlan.

The site has been going through a lull in the last while, it is true. I suspect that this is, to a large extent, because times are tough in the architectural/planning sector and people are currently not willing to share their views and ideas in the way that they were.

I think the decline of this website started when the process of updating it began a few years ago. For a period of literally years, there was always one thing or another wrong with the site - the whole thing didn't work, the space to enter your login name was in the wrong place so you it was difficult to even log in, you couldn't click on the forums, etc etc. I think people probably got a bit sick of that, and may have gone to other, more reliable, websites.

However, this is the best-looking Irish architecture website, and I think if everything is working, it is well poised to benefit from any coming upturn in Irish architecture.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby missarchi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:36 pm

So who is going to win if NTA and DCC roads dept go head to head?

More likey a compromise will be made Lucas and DB will share a corridor...

And there will a lane that car be used for cars sometimes 5-10am

Or is this exercise more musical chairs??? Pass the parcel?

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/ ... y-lifting/

With regards to the website I think it's great but architecturefoundation.ie may be taught at school.
The profession also deems bus shelters more important that College Green a sad state of affairs with a Dutch connection. Has the profession given up?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby wearnicehats » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:09 pm

I don't think this website has lost its appeal - there's simply nothing out there worth talking about

Personally I couldn't give a toss if college green is pedestrianised. For what? so I can walk from Grafton Street to O'Connell street easier? Under the new plan there'd be a great new tourist game - get a snap of the bank before a bus comes

Whilst I think the paving on Grafton St could be better I don't see the need for 570 pages on it

Dutch Billys? Wha?

Churches?. Pah

People banging on about Thomas St as if it's in any way salvageable instead of the total kip it really is (as someone who lives in de area)

There are several major schemes in planning that are worth talking about and there will be some major schemes going to planning soon that are worth talking about but, you know what? what's the point? You might as well come back in 2 years when the dinosaur planning process has finished coping with the likes of mannix flynn poncing up and down the quays dressed like a twat
wearnicehats

Postby StephenC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm

You'd have to wonder why you even bother typing in the web address wearnicehats ?

Perhaps if you started an interesting thread that might broaden out the discussion on the site.

I think you are right, the low level of activity of the site is a result of a moribund development sector and a profession with very little to say for itself these past few years. I also think forums are losing out to Twitter. And of course there is the ever present fickleness of people.

However the most enjoyable feature of Archiseek IMO has been the fact that it address such a wide range of urban issues to suit everyone's tastes and interests. If you don't like a particular issue then the beauty of the Board is that you can pass it over. And its a space to say much more than 140 characters will allow. And generally, it has been free from trolls.

Its also worth everyone remembering that the site is FREE. You don't pay for access. You don't pay to be a member. I'm sure Paul has other things he could be doing. The fact he devotes so much time and energy to a niche interest is highly commendable.

Personally I am glad its here and I enjoy the company.

...and I do give a shit about the future of College Green
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:39 pm

A little harsh Morlan....

I wasn't going to comment on this but I will...

Yes, the site has had technical difficulties but this isn't some small site on wordpress.com or blogger. It's huge and when it has problems, they tend to be magnified. Other large architecture sites have teams of people - editors, writers, tech to sort out issues. Archiseek has to wait until I finish the dayjob, spend some time with the kids and then hopefully if I'm not completely knackered I might get an hour or two to sort out some stuff. And I'm not a sysadmin type person.

We've had a couple of signifcant outage recently due to issues at Digiweb in Dublin - one today for example. Those are completely outside of my control.

If there's relevant news, I post it during the day, but upgrades and continuous development take time. In that time I could be doing paid work for other people - work I could really do with, but I do this because I love it. There's zero financial benefit to me in doing this.

You're all welcome to your opinions, and opinions are what makes the discussion board hum, so feel free to disagree amongst yourselves. Forums have become diluted over the last 5/6 years due to dicussion on everything from twitter to facebook to flickr. Outside of blogs, the era of the one-person website is well and truly over.

I shall continue to do my best.... as I still believe the site has a lot to offer.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Hear hear

Back to the substantive issue...this from the NTA on Saturday

Sir, – Your article “Dublin traffic plan could be gridlocked” (September 13th), continues your earlier coverage (September 9th) of our draft study on possible future scenarios for Dublin city centre transport.

I wish to clarify that the National Transport Authority did not publish this study. It is still a working document and we are now starting, in liaison with Dublin City Council, to carry out a detailed technical impact assessment of the proposals in order to develop a workable, balanced solution for the city.

Seeking wider feedback on a working paper too early in the process generally either raises concerns or heightens expectations. The final set of proposals will be published when the technical assessment is complete, and feedback will sought from the public at that stage.

The authority puts much material into the public domain for consideration and we also publish a considerable amount documentation on our website – traffic and travel data, policy proposals, bus and rail company performance reports, our board minutes, financial statements, etc, all of which can be viewed and downloaded at www.nationaltransport.ie.

When we publish proposals for the city centre we look forward to hearing the views of the public and we can engage in discussion at that stage. Just for the record, the draft study does protect access to city car parks. – Yours, etc,

GERRY MURPHY,
Chief Executive,
National Transport Authority,
StephenC
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:12 pm

StephenC wrote:Hear hear

Back to the substantive issue...this from the NTA on Saturday

Sir, – Your article “Dublin traffic plan could be gridlocked” (September 13th), continues your earlier coverage (September 9th) of our draft study on possible future scenarios for Dublin city centre transport.

I wish to clarify that the National Transport Authority did not publish this study. It is still a working document and we are now starting, in liaison with Dublin City Council, to carry out a detailed technical impact assessment of the proposals in order to develop a workable, balanced solution for the city.

Seeking wider feedback on a working paper too early in the process generally either raises concerns or heightens expectations. The final set of proposals will be published when the technical assessment is complete, and feedback will sought from the public at that stage.

The authority puts much material into the public domain for consideration and we also publish a considerable amount documentation on our website – traffic and travel data, policy proposals, bus and rail company performance reports, our board minutes, financial statements, etc, all of which can be viewed and downloaded at http://www.nationaltransport.ie.

When we publish proposals for the city centre we look forward to hearing the views of the public and we can engage in discussion at that stage. Just for the record, the draft study does protect access to city car parks. – Yours, etc,

GERRY MURPHY,
Chief Executive,
National Transport Authority,

I find it very hard to believe this draft was developed in June 2013 the exact same month Celtcia released there draft master plan in public. The fact that the traffic department in DCC got this document only a month or so ago is even more suspicious. Back dated and behind the eight ball...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby damcw » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 pm

While it's entertaining to see one set of civil servants (NTA) go to battle with another set of civil servants (DCC Traffic Dept), I am left wondering - what would the general public want?

Would the public like to see greater pedestrianisation of College Green? I believe many would.

Would business owners in the area support it? Well, there has always been a group of businesses willing to fight any proposed traffic control measures, public transport construction projects etc

Is this even feasible? How would you reroute traffic?

Regarding the site - I think it's unnecessary to have 8 seperate regional forums when there has barely been 8 developments worth speaking about in Ireland over the past 5 years. If things were consolidated into fewer forums, it might lead to a greater sense of activity about the place.
damcw

Postby Alek Smart » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 am

Senior Civil Servants being uncivil to each other..IN PUBLIC...cripes,Irelabd really has been badly hit by this Austerity so.....!

That aside,I spent quite some time with my monocle attempting to find the most important deliberate mistake in that (General William) Westmoreland St photomontage......The absence of a Stainless Steel Pole,upon which is clamped a fingerpost with a Blue n White P.....pointing to the Temple Bar Multi-Storey Car Park...mind you we would already have had to secure the future of the Setanta,the Clarendon St and then we would have to move on to the Princes Street one also.....Fair play to Mickey boy Phillips for leaping to the defence of the Multi-Storey Car Park Industry....

Michael Phillips, DCC's director of traffic said:

"We were very disappointed in this leaked document. There are a number of serious issues with it and our :shifty: worries :shifty: are that there has been an expectation created out there that we will not be able to deliver. We are very conscious that the car shopper is as important as other modes of transport. To keep retail viable in the city centre, what we need to ensure is that there is a balance between all modes of transport.”

You bet they were worried !!!

The single greatest contribution the likes of Mr Phillips could make to Dublin City,before taking the Lump,would be to seize these Multi-Stories and convert them to affordable living units,hostels,brothels,absynthe dens...in fact ANYTHING except MULTI STOREY CAR-PARKS.....! Just taking in the great Buzz about Town on Friday night for Culture Night,I couldnt help but note just how small a role Public Transport played in the overall event,and just how the ramshackle state of DCC's City-Centre Traffic Management contributed to this....great swathes of the City Centre's narrowest streets taken over COMPLETELY by deluded Taxi Drivers ranked-up totally,and dangerously illegally at junctions,pedestrian crossings and on padestrianized streets,thereby rendering it FAR more difficult for mainstream Public Transport to operate effectively...ALTHOUGH !!...now that I think of it,appropriating one of those multi-stories and using it as a compulsory TAXI Holding Pen (A Lá the Airports "Kesh") might be one way of reining in these individuals..?...Well now Michael Phillips,I'll leave it witcha OK ?
Alek Smart

Postby StephenC » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Now THAT is left field thinking!

Our city centre is choked with cars. We tend to forget just how noisy and hurried and chaotic it is. Its really not very pleasant. Some of my Culture Night observations anon...
StephenC
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:48 pm

So NTA where is the draft report?
Still a work in progress?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Alek Smart » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Incredibly enough Stephen C,in the actual City CENTRE area,which I would define as Stephens Green to Parnell Square on a N/S axis...it is the TAXI which causes most problems for the functioning of a CITY.

Those of a military background may remember the charge of "Action contrary to the maintenance of Discipline & Good Order",which upon conviction,could see your wage docked !

One of the major mistakes of the "Good Time Charlies" in DCC and the NTA during the Boom was this insidious portrayal of the Taxi industry as an integral part of the City's Public Transport system..

It is not,and should not be portrayed as such.

Reality in my yoof,which remains my reality today,is that Taxi's are an Added-Value PRIVATE Hire element,always intended as a backup or complement to Mainstream Public Transport (Bus & Rail)...Thats how the rest of the World operates.

Dublins Traffic & Transport supremo's somehow or other got it into their heads,after a youthful immersion in American Sit-Com scenarios,that everybody who need to go ANYWHERE in a City simply walked outside the door and yelled TAXI !!!...and,hey presto a Yellow Checker Cab would glide to a halt at their feet,thus it followed,to those TV addicts that WE too could enjoy this Nirvana !

Fast forward then to Bobby Molloy,and his holy-war against sanity,which gave new meaning to the term Deregulation and which now see's a supposed National Transport Authority flailing wildly around in ultimately fruitless attempts to put order onto manufactured chaos.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/po ... 39255.html

Even those of restricted comprehension can appreciate the pure truth of this snippet from the above...

With plates only allowing taxis to operate in specific geographical areas, the supply problem in Dublin was becoming particularly acute with demand outstripping cities of similar size due to the capital’s low population density, low public transport provision (subsidies for bus transport being a fraction of what they were in most developed countries)

IF Gerry Murphy and Mick Phillips still persevere with this madcap attitude that they have NO responsibility for facilitating mass Public Transport,as opposed to mollycoddling a small grouping of "Cash Only" businesspeople by allowing them free rein to impose their will on the rest of the CIty then perhaps it's P45 time for the pair of them.......Oh and while I'm at it...the Asst Garda Commissioner responsible for Traffic Regulation in the DMA also !!!!
Alek Smart

Postby missarchi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 am

Nama plans to revamp most important square in Ireland.

http://www.herald.ie/news/nama-plans-hu ... 93539.html

Central bank moves to docklands to get faster and more insecure Internet connection.

http://www.demotix.com/news/1160617/iri ... ia-1160608
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Dilitante » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Looking at the Luas Cross City website recently I couldn't find any reference to the cameras that were going to be installed so that the progress of the construction could be followed. Has that idea been dropped does anybody know?
Dilitante

Postby Alek Smart » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Dilitante wrote:Looking at the Luas Cross City website recently I couldn't find any reference to the cameras that were going to be installed so that the progress of the construction could be followed. Has that idea been dropped does anybody know?

I'm not at all surprised that the Camera idea has been quietly allowed to slip into the Administrative Quagmire that is the BXD Construction Phase.

IF these Camera's were operational,yesterday for example (Sat 14th March) they would have provided a vast repository of evidence of Serious lack of DCC/GARDA/RPA competence in relation to Public Safety in and around Dawson Street.

Added to this would be further hours of evidence (Complete with Roof-Sign Numbers) of frenzied apopelectic Taxidrivers disregarding every aspect of the Road Traffic Acts (and Small PSV Regulations) as they converge,like Piranah Fish on the NEW-IMPROVED Taxi Rank outside Kapp & Petersens on Nassau Street.

U-Turns ON a left hand bend,U-Turns ACROSS a solid-bordered Traffic Island,U-Turns directly in the path of approaching traffic,only then to sit behind the Legally Parked Taxi's and obstruct the General Traffic Flow....Emergency Stops and figures of 8 ....these,and other stupendous examples of just WHY the Director of Taxi Regulation should be dismissed forthwith,carried on ALL DAY LONG and into the Night,under the baleful gaze of the pre-existing DCC/Garda CCTV systems at the bottom of Grafton Street/Nassau Street.....and the response to this IN YER FACE BUD dangerous codology.....NOTHING! (Unless a toot from a Garda Squad Car Crew being delayed on its way back to Pearse Street for "Refreshments" counts as "action" ).

DCC,with the collusion of the Garda DMR Traffic Section saw fit to change the status of the lay-By outside K&P's from a Loading-Bay to a Taxi Rank,in the somewhat forelorn hope of regularising the guerilla Cab situation which sees Taxi Drivers Rank-Up ON,yes folks ON the Pedestrian Crossing in the furtherance of their business (Which is most definitely NOT mainstream Public Transport).

Further back in the Dawson St Jungle,alongside the BXD Compound fencing,these same "Professional" grouping see fit to pull ON to,and sit on the FOOTPATH in the hope of attracting custom into their cabs....and they are PERMITTED,even encouraged to do this,even though it's effects quickly feed back through the Single-Lane restricted traffic flowing off St Stephens Green.

I can only deduce from the level of disinterest in applying commonsense,let alone the LAW,that Dublin City Council/An Garda Siochana/RPA have been in someway compromised by the Taxi fraternity to the extent of rendering these bodies incapable of functioning in the PUBLIC INTEREST (Which,in this case may NOT equal the Taxi Industry's Interest )

Not for the first time,do I suggest that a Major Incident,perhaps involving Fatalities is the only thing which will stimulate these so-called "Agencies" into performing their statutory duties.

Rather than focusing on the pressing and urgent need to ban power-tool use in historic areas of the City,this,by now, thoroughly rotten Civic Administration should be waking up to the very real level of ADDED Public Safety Risk it is imposing on ordinary Citizens !!!!
Alek Smart

Postby missarchi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:42 am

missarchi
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland