Visionary Public Transport System for Dublin

Re: Visionary Public Transport System for Dublin

Postby PVC King » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 am

No use serving everybody if they won't use it.

I'd hardle call annual 135m passenger bus journeys for Dublin Bus in 2008 a lack of use. Where service levels have increased so too have passnger numbers; if the 46A QBC can be a success it can work anywhere in Dublin.

Car drivers will not use buses.

That assumes that congestion levels do not increase, parking levels increase and parking prices stay static or fall. If bus services were upgraded in tandem with some affordable rail improvements; the so called car drivers that you speak of would consider their options provided they live and work within areas of a sufficient scale. If people choose to live in Virginia and Work in Rathcoole then the public transport system owes them nothing.

BRT in Dublin streetscape, fantasy tosh.

Add the 95m passengers carried by Bus Eirrean to the 135m carried by DB and you have a substantial number; denying the existing usage is uninformed. Even with an extensive tube network that carries 1.1bn passengers per year this impressive statistic is dwarfed by the 6.1m passengers per day that travel by bus i.e. 2.2bn or twice as many bus journeys as tube journeys in London.
PVC King

Postby DouglasHyde » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:04 am

PVC King wrote:I'd hardle call annual 135m passenger bus journeys for Dublin Bus in 2008 a lack of use. Where service levels have increased so too have passnger numbers; if the 46A QBC can be a success it can work anywhere in Dublin.

That assumes that congestion levels do not increase, parking levels increase and parking prices stay static or fall. If bus services were upgraded in tandem with some affordable rail improvements; the so called car drivers that you speak of would consider their options provided they live and work within areas of a sufficient scale. If people choose to live in Virginia and Work in Rathcoole then the public transport system owes them nothing.

Add the 95m passengers carried by Bus Eirrean to the 135m carried by DB and you have a substantial number; denying the existing usage is uninformed. Even with an extensive tube network that carries 1.1bn passengers per year this impressive statistic is dwarfed by the 6.1m passengers per day that travel by bus i.e. 2.2bn or twice as many bus journeys as tube journeys in London.

The fact that this fiscal year was a commendatory one for the bus company but auto pipe lining stream implementation negatives made for a bubble unexpected in the technical climate.. During the preceding fiscal year, the department was appropriated the second largest revenue increase in recent history. Furthermore, it was demonstrated to the citizens of this state that supplementary and elevated quality services could be delivered through the additional programs that were part of the previously mandated legislative initiative. There were new programs implemented that provided prominent visibility as well as serving the purpose of assisting the populace in numerous programmatic needs.
Crush loading was a fiduciary integral constraint.
DouglasHyde

Postby PVC King » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 pm

ac1976 wrote:I came accross this site by chance, it's a project done as part of a masters degree in NCAD and it's absolutely facinating.

http://www.venetikidis.com/aris/Dublin-Transport_MA.html

A new vision for public transport based on what we have, what is being built and some common sense and good international proactice. The result really is quite amazing.

There are some maps which look exactly like maps of transport you might find on the continent! It really is facinating to see how our public transport might be if we were a continental European city!

Maybe one day?....

Frank McDonald wrote recently about Busways, which are like tramways without rails, and this is based on this concept but look what it can deliver! When you see the maps it really does impress.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0527/1224271228154.html
I wouldn't be surprised if Frank got his inspirition for that article from this very project!

The last post above really loses the focus of the discussion
PVC King

Postby urbanisto » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Not to mention being bollox
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby DouglasHyde » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:20 am

Apologies fvcking, glancing at a few of your frevious posts I got the impression you were fluent in gibberish.
DouglasHyde

Previous

Return to Ireland