Advertising in public realm, big screen TVs and train stations

Advertising in public realm, big screen TVs and train stations

Postby soulsearcher » Mon May 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Can anyone explain how the big ugly TV screen that terminates the vista from Sth Great Georges Street to Dame Street came to be? As far as I can tell its a permanent and very intrusive -looking fixture. Was it part of the JC Decaux bikes deal? Will they be obliged to show World Cup soccer matches on it? :)

Perhaps this is a separate issue but can anybody enlighten me as to how a dodgy British news channel came to be so prevalent in almost all the transport hubs of Dublin? The omnipresence of Sky News on big screeen TVs at major train stations (Connolly, Pearse, Heuston...) is a real turn off. Some time ago I emailed Irish Rail to point out to them that there is a perfectly good Irish TV station called RTE that has for the last year been streaming a 24 hour news channel online (with ticker-tape rolling news across the bottom of the screen). As you can imagine I didnt get much of a response.

I wouldnt be as bothered about the TVs at train stations if they fulfilled some useful purpose like broadcasting relevant local, national and international news stories, community events, announcements etc, balanced with the right amount of advertising.
soulsearcher

Re: Advertising in public realm, big screen TVs and train stations

Postby Bago » Tue May 25, 2010 12:02 am

More worrying is it's presence in waiting rooms for government departments and offices. Media recolonisation, biased and sensationalist at that. Waiting to sort out tax and i have to listen to Tracey in chicester, who's MP isn't doing enough about refuse collection! If not rte at least euronews please. Not to mention while in the queue in the bank, the bus station.....
Bago

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue May 25, 2010 3:01 am

Bago wrote:More worrying is it's presence in waiting rooms for government departments and offices. Media recolonisation, biased and sensationalist at that. Waiting to sort out tax and i have to listen to Tracey in chicester, who's MP isn't doing enough about refuse collection! If not rte at least euronews please. Not to mention while in the queue in the bank, the bus station.....

Well RTE isn't a news service and Euronews doesn't write headlines across the bottom of the screen. Or would you rather be irritated by the odd assortment of accents on Euronews at full volume? But you're right, watching a convenient news service broadly relevant to Irish people is nothing but submission to colonisation!
rumpelstiltskin

Postby mrdarcy » Tue May 25, 2010 9:08 am

Sorry this thread is out of date! Check this out.
mrdarcy

Postby dermot_trellis » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 am

The one in Pearse St seems to constantly be tuned to some garbage rolling news channel with the latest celeb stories etc (or else, the other day, a Windows blue screen error).. Is there any way we can vote to reject these things? I'd rather they spent the few grand on a better train system and removed the tacky visual pollution..
dermot_trellis

Postby missarchi » Tue May 25, 2010 10:13 am

we should not have to put up with this!
remember those remote controls in watches...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue May 25, 2010 10:41 am

dermot_trellis wrote:The one in Pearse St seems to constantly be tuned to some garbage rolling news channel with the latest celeb stories etc (or else, the other day, a Windows blue screen error).. Is there any way we can vote to reject these things? I'd rather they spent the few grand on a better train system and removed the tacky visual pollution..

These installations deliver revenue; the structure is quite simple; you spend nothing, collect rent and if you negotiate a good deal a healthy turnover top-up. Sadly the content probably reflects the reality TV World that has become the dominant media of late.
PVC King

Postby soulsearcher » Tue May 25, 2010 1:32 pm

mrdarcy wrote:Sorry this thread is out of date! Check this out.

Thanks Mr Darcy. That news has brightened up my day.
soulsearcher

Postby Bago » Tue May 25, 2010 1:39 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:But you're right, watching a convenient news service broadly relevant to Irish people is nothing but submission to colonisation!
I realise i'm taking the bait here, but just turned on sky news now, alcoholic mother in skegness abducting her children from social workers and the queens speech in an hour, if you think this is broadly relevant to your life you're either living in the UK or for some mysterious reason believe it has any greater relevance to you than an abduction in Lilles and the queen of denmark making a speech.
Bago

Postby StephenC » Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Back to the original question...the units are an initiative of Dublin City Business Association.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Bago » Wed May 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Dame/georges st screen looks pretty ridiculous, times square, piccadilly circus, shinjuku.... it ain't.
Bago

Postby soulsearcher » Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 pm

StephenC wrote:Back to the original question...the units are an initiative of Dublin City Business Association.

Thanks stephen. I just realised passing by the other day that the TV screen at dame st/georges st junction is invisible during the day at least when not functioning, given that it is using an existing large window frame (presumably illuminated from inside the building). Its therefore not as intrusive as I originally thought when I first spotted it (after a few beers one night).

Makes me wonder though how it came about now re. planning permission and how it works re. contributing revenue for DCC?
soulsearcher

Postby PVC King » Fri May 28, 2010 7:13 am

My interpretation is that DCC wouldn't get anything as from what you say the instalation is located inside a window and as it is temporary in terms of use / is internal wouldn't attract business rates either. Sounds like a great idea to me; then again Dub City Business Association rarely have bad ones :D
PVC King

Return to Ireland