Oh dear, another architecture programme on RTE that does not impress.
Initial reaction to the first show
- picture and sound poorly integrated.
- absence of any graphics showing growth, development of the city. Maps please.
- from Norman Cathederal to Trinity College being built covered in one sentence.
- Georgians rule O.K.
- many definitive statements made which are simply wrong, including the old no facilities planned for the Western New Towns, e.g. Tallaght. (It may have taken a very long time to build them, but they were planned.)
- fails to address the decline of the port industrial complex, the migration of industry & warehousing to the Long Mile Road and other places.
- a man, with a pronounced non-Dublin accent stating that the Irish had little "urban" tradition, as if!
- the usual myth that the retention of trams, or the Harcourt Street line were real options at the time those decisions were taken.
Even more creepy was the credits at the end stating what organisations, let us say vested interests, had helped fund this programme series.
The DTO and CIE might be relatively benign sponsors, but they are vested interests never the less.