Road works at M50 Navan Road Interchange and Royal Canal.

Road works at M50 Navan Road Interchange and Royal Canal.

Postby liamwoods » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:16 am

Surely this is not environmentally friendly? These photos were taken on December 26th, 2009. The canal has been filled in for about 60m and diverted through a 1m diameter pipe.
Attachments
Royal Canal.jpg
Royal Canal.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Royal Canal (3).jpg
Royal Canal (3).jpg (67.75 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Royal Canal (4).jpg
Royal Canal (4).jpg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Royal Canal (6).jpg
Royal Canal (6).jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Royal Canal (10).jpg
Royal Canal (10).jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 839 times
liamwoods

Re: Road works at M50 Navan Road Interchange and Royal Canal.

Postby Andrew Duffy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:25 am

liamwoods wrote:Surely this is not environmentally friendly? These photos were taken on December 26th, 2009. The canal has been filled in for about 60m and diverted through a 1m diameter pipe.

Umm.... it's for the construction of an enormous motorway interchange - temporarily culverting a canal is not the most environmentally damaging thing going on.

The Grand Canal is also currently culverted (for dredging) along Clanwilliam Place.
Andrew Duffy

Postby liamwoods » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Point taken on the importance of the road works; I'm all for it, it’s just that the canal looks pretty abused in this area. Not that I'd fancy swimming in it at the best of times.

I would have expected the canal to be blocked off and drained or something not just a load of gravel to be dumped in to it and flattened.
liamwoods

Postby Denton » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Truely shocking.

I know few people use the Royal canal but it goes across a far larger part of our country, it should be protected and maintained.

After all it's entrance has only recently re-opened, and even then it's not easy to enter.

It should have been protected, just dumping gravel is insane.

When they first built that junction they went to the due care to put in a viaduct (or is it aqueduct?) for the canal, i'm sure it had to be closed then as well, but this is just reckless.:rolleyes:
Denton

Return to Ireland