Mater Hospital redevelopment?

Re: Mater Hospital redevelopment?

Postby georgesturdy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Yixian wrote:So what's becoming of this structure?

Built into the new building? Different site?

Beautiful facade..

yes its a beautifull victorian structure not much has been changed around inside original windows doors and flooring, another interesting part of the mater campus is the department of radiology with its beautifull original oak doors and doorframes and green supporting columns it looks to be a later addition possibly circa 1907. as regards the structure being renovated all the older edwardian/victorian buildings are protected and will be incorporated into the new campus.
georgesturdy

Postby georgesturdy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:54 pm

notjim wrote:It is still part of the hospital and fergair is wrong to think it is just a facade, the whole quadrangle is still standing and probably still contains lots of interesting and appealing features, I have never been in, but I did have a wander around the rotunda a few months ago and, really, a lot of the original fabric is preserved and it has some beautiful elements. I am sure it will be use more and more for administration and low intensity care.

Anyway, the Phibsboro local area plan is at

http://bit.ly/phibsboro_lap

and the Mater part is p74; which is in part 4 I think. It doesn't give much detail, as you would expect it says the Mater should foster a fine grain campus atmosphere, like TCD. I was disappointed it didn't urge the relocation of another hospital to the Mountjoy site to create a medical district, but it didn't.

yes its all being retained if you ever get a chance to have a look inside its well worth it it still retains all the victorian/edwardian features a must see is the department of radiology it is a beautifull addition from the time of the early 1900s when x ray,s were still in their infancy. interestingly back in 2000 they had a problem getting a new m.r.i machine into the department of radiology they had to go to great lenghts to get this huge machine in without damaging the protected facade.
georgesturdy

Postby OisinT » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Yixian wrote:So what's becoming of this structure?

Built into the new building? Different site?

Beautiful facade..

They have let the Mater go to an awful state. It is disgusting to me... it needs a serious interior upgrade and cleaning.
OisinT

Postby georgesturdy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:27 pm

OisinT wrote:They have let the Mater go to an awful state. It is disgusting to me... it needs a serious interior upgrade and cleaning.

no its just old i dont think they have replaced any of the victorian or edwardian interior ie floortiles windowframes doors. its like stepping back to the victorian age it has all the modern infrastructure but has its old world charm.
georgesturdy

Postby OisinT » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

I don't think they should replace the Victorian or Edwardian parts of the hospital, just clean it. The "newer" addition to the hospital is the worst part. I'm not even sure what decade it is from (60s/70s?) but it is really dated and disgusting.
Basically that whole back part you can see from NCR
OisinT

Postby georgesturdy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:22 pm

OisinT wrote:I don't think they should replace the Victorian or Edwardian parts of the hospital, just clean it. The "newer" addition to the hospital is the worst part. I'm not even sure what decade it is from (60s/70s?) but it is really dated and disgusting.
Basically that whole back part you can see from NCR

the six story block which is what i think you are referring to was built in the 1970s by sisk, but the entrance to the mater on the north circular road was built as an addition to the main hospital around 1907. also at the same time they built the department of radiography which is preserved in its original format it has its original oak doors/frames checkerd flooring and green supporting pillars.also the main 1861 hospital has lots of original features especially on the top two floors. i spent some time there in july/august 2009 due to a spinal injury and was surprised at how much they retained the original hospital. its such a shame that they dident do the same with the jervis hospital before they gutted out all the victorian interiors to make way for the shopping centre.
georgesturdy

Postby fergalr » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:08 pm

georgesturdy wrote:no its just old i dont think they have replaced any of the victorian or edwardian interior ie floortiles windowframes doors. its like stepping back to the victorian age it has all the modern infrastructure but has its old world charm.

Is old world charm what you want in a hospital ward? As opposed to easily cleaned surfaces :P
fergalr

Postby Yixian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 am

How's this coming along? Can't wait to see the finished product - 60% of patient beds will be in single rooms, that's really outstanding.

Is the children's hospital next door definitely going ahead? Already started construction?
Yixian

Postby OisinT » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Yixian wrote:How's this coming along? Can't wait to see the finished product - 60% of patient beds will be in single rooms, that's really outstanding.

Is the children's hospital next door definitely going ahead? Already started construction?

Still just a big hole in the ground as far as I can see. They must be working on the foundation still.
OisinT

Postby notjim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Not true at all; they have three lift shafts topped out and lots of progress on the basement levels.
notjim

Postby OisinT » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:49 pm

notjim wrote:Not true at all; they have three lift shafts topped out and lots of progress on the basement levels.

Ah you can't really see that from Eccles St. or else I'm just not paying much attention... my mistake
OisinT

Postby Yixian » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Any Metro north notices anywhere re the planned station for the hospital?
Yixian

Postby notjim » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:15 am

I think that's all waiting on the railway order, that the proposed station has been substantially redesigned, with less of an intrusion on Leo St and an entrance on Eccles St.
notjim

Postby Yixian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info, glad it's still planned at least.
Yixian

Postby OisinT » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Went by there last night and had a look, you actually can see the lift shafts from Eccles St.
OisinT

Postby Yixian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:39 pm

The "National Children's Hospital" or whatever it will be called is being built on Eccles St, and apparently planning permission is being applied for in the "first half of 2010" - http://www.murrayolaoire.com/news_10/Childrens-Hospital-Ireland-10.html

^ These are the same guys as are in the running for building Metro North stations.

Any way we can find out when permission is being applied for?
Yixian

Previous

Return to Ireland