House extension query

House extension query

Postby vinco555 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi,
Im new to this site, so any help will be much appreciated, I am in the middle of getting prices for a single storey extension to the back of my semi detatached house, it will be 21.5 ft x 16ft wide, but I am worried about the roof as I dont have the much height until I meet the upstairs windows. I measured it myself roughly (im no builder Grin), and what i can see is the roof will have about a 1 meter drop over a 5 meter width (lean to roof), and I think the angle would be about the same if i went for a a style roof.

Does any one know if this would be enough of a degree of fall so that I will have no problems with damp or any other type of problem. I had a couple of builders up looking at job, 1 said no problem and the other said no way. so dont really know what to do.

Also was thinking of building 1200mm wall around garden and leveling the whole thing off ( very uneven ground). My ground is filled with muck (not blue stuff), I got a digger man in and we dug down about 4ft and was still very soft, so can anyone tell me about floating foundation or are you better/cheaper digging down to you hit hard ground for wall aswell as extension foundation.

If anyone can help, your advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

vinnie
vinco555

Re: House extension query

Postby spoil_sport » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Flat roof? (And please don't say: "but they always leak..." they only leaf if installed by morons)
spoil_sport

Postby dermot_trellis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

You could maybe have a look at going for a standing metal seam finish (zinc or alumnimum for example) on the roof as opposed to tiling as those are suitable for shallow slopes.
dermot_trellis

Postby Pot Noodle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

You must go down to your existing house foundation's ,You could go for a hipped roof with a valley that abuts your house [expensive option] flat roof Asphalt with parapet ,Lean too you can use slates but will have to have extra coverage 150mm/190mm make sure you put plenty of roof lights in you can never have enough natural light. Hope this helps
Pot Noodle

Postby vinco555 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks very much for all your advice, ill have another word with my builder and maybe ill be back looking for more advice. If not ill let you know how I got on.

cheers again

vinnie
vinco555

Postby Pot Noodle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Dont pay full amount until you get the work checked,I would advise an Engineer or Architect to check it out its worth it in the long run,should get some good deals at the present
Pot Noodle

Postby irishguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:23 pm

dermot_trellis wrote:You could maybe have a look at going for a standing metal seam finish (zinc or alumnimum for example) on the roof as opposed to tiling as those are suitable for shallow slopes.

Can you use this finish on a flat roof? If not what would be the best finish for a flat roof?
irishguy

Postby Max Luthor » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Is this a joke?

Employ an architect and a structural engineer
Max Luthor

Postby Pot Noodle » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:30 pm

Max Luthor wrote:Is this a joke?

Employ an architect and a structural engineer

Why would it be a joke Moneys tight
Pot Noodle

Postby kceire » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Pot Noodle wrote:Why would it be a joke Moneys tight

money be even tighter if it is not built correctly and you have to carry out further work a year later to fix! your checking off vital stages like foundations and roof details based on comments on an internet forum, which is not a great idea imo.

you can employ an independant engineer or architect to check over the project with site visits every week or 2 weeks and it wont cost you an arm and a leg either!
kceire

Postby Solo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:23 pm

To original thread starter. Architects and or Engineers are there for reasons like your query. You are making alterations in a structural sence to your in most cases single biggest asset. What on Earth is possessing you to think you can do withour their services. Yes they will charge you but you and your builder will have a very valuable resource to call upon for your queries. Not to mention the certification and P.I. insurance cover you get. Without certification the Title to your property is affected. You need your head examined.
Solo

Return to Ireland