Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby rob mc » Tue May 19, 2009 4:14 pm

Mother Redcap's

The boarded-up building off Thomas Street pegged was to form part of a €2.6bn Covent Garden-style revamp for the Liberties, taking in the DCC-owned Lord Iveagh Market. A Martin Keane-led company formed a joint venture with DCC and an epic round of planning, public consultation and legal process began. Six years on, the development is now on hold as it is "not currently viable", said a DCC source.

The Markets

Closed and disused for over a decade, a €400m redevelopment for the huge former Victorian fish and vegetable markets site between Henry Street and Smithfield is part of DCC's development plan 2005-2011 for a commercial and residential complex reaching up to six storeys. A preferred bidder for phase 1 was selected in 2007 but "no contracts have been signed to date", the DCC said.

New Garda Headquarters, Kevin Street

A planned five-storey plus two-level basement build over a 5,000sq m site beside the existing garda station was to be a new Garda Divisional HQ replacing Harcourt Terrace. The OPW said "in the current economic climate it is doubtful if tenders will be sought in the near future".

Seven Adelaide Road

The fire-damaged Georgian shell at 7 Adelaide Road, Dublin 2, is a one-acre registered derelict site which has been for sale for over a year at €1.195m. Owner David Grant of 61 Haddington Road, Dublin 4, was the subject of an RTE Prime Time programme in 2005 and later pleaded guilty in court to allowing dangerous buildings to be used as hostel accommodation and carrying out unauthorised works on the protected buildings on Gardiner Street. He committed to selling Adelaide Road and his Haddington Road home to pay to improve the hostel and rectify the illegal works.

Boland's Mill

The Dublin 4 landmark site is owned by Sean Kelly's Benton Property Holding, which beat Treasury Holdings and Danninger with a €42m winning bid for the site in 2004. Permission is being sought to turn it into Boland's Mill Wharf, a 41,000sq m office and hotel complex.

However "while it's still in the pipeline, it may not proceed in the current climate", a spokeswoman at Benton said. The three massive 1940s silos (one is 21 storeys) and Victorian former storehouse stand between Grand Canal Dock and Barrow Street in what has become a major business district.

Carry on regardless sites...

Vicar Street/Molyneux Yard

Harry Crosbie said last month he'll go ahead with his eight-storey 194-bed 'no star' hotel at the vacant lot behind his Vicar Street music venue on Thomas Street, Dublin 8.

Carlton building

Under hoarding and a vacant cause célèbre for years, the art deco fronted building is part of Chartered Land's Dublin Central development, some of which is still in planning process. Planning approved development has started on the former Royal Dublin Hotel next door, which is part of the same project, and Chartered Lands chief executive Dominic Deeny says the scheme will proceed as planned, with "the next economic upturn" in mind.

The Irish Bottle Factory site, Poolbeg Peninsula, Ringsend

Bought for a price tag of €412m in 2006 by a consortium including the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) and headed by developer Bernard McNamara, the 24-acre site will be part of the first phase of a new Poolbeg urban quarter development proposal by the DDDA that finished its public consultation stage
recently.

The Irish times.

Its awful to see so many promising projects on hold, but its also good to see the likes of crosbie giving the middle finger to the recession and going ahead anyway :D
Props as well to treasury holdings for going ahead with monte too!

And I suppose you can also add the watchtower and u2 to the list of stopped projects.
rob mc
Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Galway

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby jdivision » Tue May 19, 2009 4:35 pm

It's not from the irish Times, it's from the Sunday Tribune
jdivision
Senior Member
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:34 pm

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby rob mc » Tue May 19, 2009 4:51 pm

jdivision wrote:It's not from the irish Times, it's from the Sunday Tribune


.......ok
rob mc
Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Galway

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby dave123 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:09 pm

rob mc wrote:Mother Redcap's

The boarded-up building off Thomas Street pegged was to form part of a €2.6bn Covent Garden-style revamp for the Liberties, taking in the DCC-owned Lord Iveagh Market. A Martin Keane-led company formed a joint venture with DCC and an epic round of planning, public consultation and legal process began. Six years on, the development is now on hold as it is "not currently viable", said a DCC source.

The Markets

Closed and disused for over a decade, a €400m redevelopment for the huge former Victorian fish and vegetable markets site between Henry Street and Smithfield is part of DCC's development plan 2005-2011 for a commercial and residential complex reaching up to six storeys. A preferred bidder for phase 1 was selected in 2007 but "no contracts have been signed to date", the DCC said.

New Garda Headquarters, Kevin Street

A planned five-storey plus two-level basement build over a 5,000sq m site beside the existing garda station was to be a new Garda Divisional HQ replacing Harcourt Terrace. The OPW said "in the current economic climate it is doubtful if tenders will be sought in the near future".

Seven Adelaide Road

The fire-damaged Georgian shell at 7 Adelaide Road, Dublin 2, is a one-acre registered derelict site which has been for sale for over a year at €1.195m. Owner David Grant of 61 Haddington Road, Dublin 4, was the subject of an RTE Prime Time programme in 2005 and later pleaded guilty in court to allowing dangerous buildings to be used as hostel accommodation and carrying out unauthorised works on the protected buildings on Gardiner Street. He committed to selling Adelaide Road and his Haddington Road home to pay to improve the hostel and rectify the illegal works.

Boland's Mill

The Dublin 4 landmark site is owned by Sean Kelly's Benton Property Holding, which beat Treasury Holdings and Danninger with a €42m winning bid for the site in 2004. Permission is being sought to turn it into Boland's Mill Wharf, a 41,000sq m office and hotel complex.

However "while it's still in the pipeline, it may not proceed in the current climate", a spokeswoman at Benton said. The three massive 1940s silos (one is 21 storeys) and Victorian former storehouse stand between Grand Canal Dock and Barrow Street in what has become a major business district.

Carry on regardless sites...

Vicar Street/Molyneux Yard

Harry Crosbie said last month he'll go ahead with his eight-storey 194-bed 'no star' hotel at the vacant lot behind his Vicar Street music venue on Thomas Street, Dublin 8.

Carlton building

Under hoarding and a vacant cause célèbre for years, the art deco fronted building is part of Chartered Land's Dublin Central development, some of which is still in planning process. Planning approved development has started on the former Royal Dublin Hotel next door, which is part of the same project, and Chartered Lands chief executive Dominic Deeny says the scheme will proceed as planned, with "the next economic upturn" in mind.

The Irish Bottle Factory site, Poolbeg Peninsula, Ringsend

Bought for a price tag of €412m in 2006 by a consortium including the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) and headed by developer Bernard McNamara, the 24-acre site will be part of the first phase of a new Poolbeg urban quarter development proposal by the DDDA that finished its public consultation stage
recently.

The Irish times.

Its awful to see so many promising projects on hold, but its also good to see the likes of crosbie giving the middle finger to the recession and going ahead anyway :D
Props as well to treasury holdings for going ahead with monte too!

And I suppose you can also add the watchtower and u2 to the list of stopped projects.




I say build whats the worst that can happen anyway! People really need to stop been in fear, this recession is in the head.

If people stopped panicking and started performing the economy would settle. But since the economoy is based on corruption and money grabbers. Its going to fall.

I dont really see whats the issue in not going ahead with new developments where developers have the money and investment already. Its just a matter of building, fair enough they might be vacent for a while. But at least its built and ready. Its not a derelict site anymore. If anything it's making our city more attractive. This is positive and this is a bonus regardless of what kind of poo is been slung from all sides with the global downturn.


You either swim around in pessismism or you make a decision to get out of it.

Its as simple as that.
dave123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Co. Dublin

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby rob mc » Tue May 19, 2009 8:08 pm

dave123 wrote:I say build whats the worst that can happen anyway! People really need to stop been in fear, this recession is in the head.

If people stopped panicking and started performing the economy would settle. But since the economoy is based on corruption and money grabbers. Its going to fall.

I dont really see whats the issue in not going ahead with new developments where developers have the money and investment already. Its just a matter of building, fair enough they might be vacent for a while. But at least its built and ready. Its not a derelict site anymore. If anything it's making our city more attractive. This is positive and this is a bonus regardless of what kind of poo is been slung from all sides with the global downturn.


You either swim around in pessismism or you make a decision to get out of it.

Its as simple as that.


True that,but the only problem is ,is that developers don't have the funding to build. Before they relied on banks to give them money and that house prices would keep rising so they can pay the banks back and still make a healthy profit.

But now that this is gone, banks wouldn't dare part with the little money they have left.
rob mc
Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Galway

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby GregF » Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 pm

See that the 'Eager Beaver' second hand clothes shop in Temple Bar has been demolished. Anyone know what's going up here instead?
User avatar
GregF
Old Master
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby Smithfield Resi » Wed May 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Add renovation work on Thomas Street at the Digital Hub, the one year anniversary of the grant of PP for the Vathouse#7 building and the renovation of the derelict Georgian on the corner of Crane St just passed. They can't even be bothered to board up the windows.

Disgrace. I think it still in DCC ownership too.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showpost.php?p=79891&postcount=111
Smithfield Resi
Member
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 am

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby fergalr » Sat May 23, 2009 9:25 pm

That one on the Howth Rd between Marino and Killester - the one with the obnoxious hoardings - seems to have been frozen. And the hoarding are being used by Eibhlin Byrne for her MEP campaign.
fergalr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Howth, Co. Dublin

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby alonso » Sun May 24, 2009 12:34 pm

the site at Pearse station is a monstrous hole in the ground that seems to be going ahead...
alonso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby missarchi » Sun May 24, 2009 10:49 pm

alonso wrote:the site at Pearse station is a monstrous hole in the ground that seems to be going ahead...


it would be perfect for the college green triangle...
missarchi
Old Master
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:53 pm

Re: Dublin sites at a standstill / and those going ahead regardless

Postby Yixian » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:58 pm

A lot of the city quarters, eg. the Northern Quarter, are officially going ahead but just keep on getting rejected by ABP, over and over and over again...

A lot more is going ahead than I expected, very little has been axed in fact.. Heuston gate will probably never appear but I'd say there's even a chance of the U2 Tower showing itself in the next 5-10 years.

It's going to be a while before any new developments are announced, I suppose that's where the recession shows itself most. I don't know how long it's going to be before we actually see anything come from the new high rise allowances, but it's not going to be any time soon...

I'm just hoping to hear more about what they're going to be doing with The Liberties, and the parts of the Heuston development we haven't seen yet. Oh and Carlton cinema ofc..

EDIT: And Ballsbridge for that matter.. jesus the list goes on..
Yixian
Member
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:11 pm


Return to Ireland