The Velibs are coming?

Re: The Velibs are coming?

Postby fergalr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:32 pm

hutton wrote:

Oh you mean the blue fenders that they also tried to sell off as advertising space, but were unable to in the recession :rolleyes:

Seriously?? :confused:
fergalr

Postby hutton » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:43 am

fergalr wrote:Seriously?? :confused:

Yep, I remember reading media reports about it at the time - might be a copy posted on the other JC Decaux thread
hutton

Postby Smithfield Resi » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Smithfield Resi

Postby damcw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:49 pm

I think it's fair to say that the concept of the Velibs has been a good success, and there were plenty of commentators who took the attitude that this scheme could not work in Ireland, the bikes would be destroyed in the first week, etc. (same sort of stuff that was said about smoking ban).

But Hutton is right, we shouldn't forget that relative to Paris we got a bad deal. We gave away too much for too little.

Who negotiated the deal? Was it Dublin City Manager John Tierney?
damcw

Postby fergalr » Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 pm

It's a pretty fluffy article, but the following will be in the June issue of Cheers Magazine, in the Tried and Tested column. Thought I'd preview it to Archiseekers ;) Just don't tell the editor.

Dublin might be one of the most pedestrian and cyclist friendly capitals in the world. There are no monumental avenues to cross as there are in Paris or New York. Motorists have mostly been beaten into submission by thousands upon thousands of jaywalkers unlike Rome, the vehicular homicide capital of Europe. The entire city centre slopes gently towards a thin river with a frankly excessive number of bridges. And if the main thoroughfares are packed too tightly with traffic and crowds, a pedestrianised side street is never far away. We actually have it so good that Dubliners have lost all sense of proportion when it comes to distance. It might be an arrow straight road from Cineworld on Parnell St down to Temple Bar but many’s the time that friends and I have ducked into TP Smyths on Jervis St because of “the distance” we would otherwise have to travel from the cinema to a decent pint.

Cheers secret headquarters, a hollowed-out volcano near St. Stephen’s Green, is inconveniently located for northsiders such as myself. Its location was especially inconvenient when I got off the DART at Tara St one evening in May to find an entire month of belated April showers bucketing down. With the usual half-hour walk from the Liffey completely out of the question, the solitary thought that ran through my mind as I pedalled soddenly along Dame St like a starfish on the run was, “thank God for Dublin Bikes.” I was still dripping dolefully when I arrived at the staff meeting, but at least my exposure to the Irish climate had only lasted for ten minutes and not thirty.

Dublin Bikes is a cycling scheme that was launched in September of last year to massive acclaim. The city resounds these days to a gentle trill from the bells of over four hundred rent-a-bikes provided by Dublin City Council and advertisers JC Decaux. From forty stations across the city centre, handsome blue-fendered bicycles are available to revolutionise the Dubliner’s relationship with his city’s streets.

I am a long-time pedestrian and now first-time urban cyclist. Living out on the city’s fringe, where the postcodes meet the county, cycling into town has never been a realistic option for me. My poor bike has been looking at me reproachfully for years now, all too aware of the big, cycle-tracked world that it has long been denied because of the bus stop right outside my front door. In any event, I came to the Dublin Bike scheme with no knowledge of transporting myself by wheel along hectic traffic arteries.

I still remember my first time and that youthful flush of nervous anticipation that I felt as I sidled up to the station beside the GPO. Perpetuating the usual gung-ho enthusiasm that I reserve for stupid notions that enter my head, I had paid the €10 fee for the annual Long Term hire card. I climbed onto a bike and wobbled embarrassingly too and fro until my feet had a grip of the pedals and I of long repressed memories of how to actually cycle. And then, with a beseeching prayer to the Creator, I swung out into traffic with the world, as a friend once unforgettably put it, as my lobster.

It was a revelation on that short initial trip up to the Bull & Castle by Christchurch (I didn’t cycle for my supper so much as for a session) and it remains so today. Dublin is a fantastic city for cycling. With a good pair of legs under you and the bike in the third of its three gears, you’ll find yourself moving at roughly the same speed as most motorised traffic as you curve around Parliament House on College Green and shoot down the middle of Westmoreland St, like an interplanetary space probe breaking orbit. No longer the drudge of the trudge from one end of the city centre to the other when you can freewheel down the long, southside hill from Camden St to the Liffey and then cycle up to the top of Capel St within ten to fifteen minutes. If DIT’s student body cops onto the benefits of these bikes for travelling from one faculty building to another, there’ll be none left for the rest of us. Dublin Bikes bring the points of an already compact city centre even closer together. What has been for decades referred to as “town” now truly feels like one.

I know I’m babbling but these bicycles are an absolute joy. In the week that I wrote this article, I found myself spending a pleasant afternoon criss-crossing the city centre on Dublin Bikes, conducting interviews. Build up speed on the little plateau in the Liberties from High Street to Christchurch and then down little Castle St and Dame Lane, avoiding as many traffic-strewn main roads as possible. A quick turn up South Great George’s St and then a left onto Wicklow St, where the cars were outnumbered by tourists. Then an intrusion onto Grafton St, the mecca of pedestrian Dublin, where my wheels and bell were not appreciated, and a right turn to Nassau St, where the buses could be outpaced and the smart cyclist raises his rear from the saddle, so as to avoid losing a filling from the full-body shocks and vibrations that the potholed surface throws up. And finally to the Georgian serenity of Merrion Square, where I could lazily pedal under the dappled leaves and almost forget that my journey had a destination.

If you haven’t tried Dublin Bikes, then I urge you to pony up the price of a small coffee and buy a three day ticket for €2. Experience the convenience of cycling around town in a bike that you can leave behind at the end of your travels. In the sun, it beats walking. In the rain, it replaces it.
fergalr

Postby PVC King » Mon May 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Rail passengers heading for the city are being encouraged to get on their bike rather than take a taxi or hire a car, with a cycle rental and storage scheme being copied from the Netherlands.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article7134513.ece

Abellio Group, whose parent company runs the Dutch railway, is behind the first such facility, which will open in Leeds in July. Passengers will be able to rent bikes by the day from the Cyclepoint, as well as lock up their own machines, have repairs done and buy cycling accessories or bikes. The Leeds Cyclepoint is funded with a £500,000 grant from the Department for Transport, through Network Rail, which is being spent on the new two storey building.

Evans Cycles has been contracted to run the facility and will supply 350 bikes for rent at £8 per day. The charge for storage is likely to be £1 a day, with discounts for season ticket holders.

Plans are in place to introduce radial cycling routes from the suburbs into the centre by 2011, aimed at people living three or four miles outside the city centre. It is also proposed that satellite cycle points at other nearby Northern Rail stations, such as Bradford, Harrogate and Skipton, could be created so that passengers could start and finish their rail journeys by cycling.

Abellio’s parent company NedRail found that the provision of extra cycle parking and bike storage had substantially boosted the number of passengers it carries. However, in the Netherlands, a third of all trips to and from the station are undertaken by bicycle, whereas in Britain only 2 per cent of rail passengers arrive by bike. At the moment about 100 passengers a day leave their bikes at Leeds station.

Anton Valk, the chief executive of Abellio, believes that the number of rail passengers beginning and ending their journeys by bike could increase substantially if the facilities that his company runs for the Dutch state railway are adopted in Britain. In the Netherlands, cycle hubs can be found at 40 stations and have between 500 and 3,000 cycles per station.

Mr Valk, who cycles daily from Marylebone to his Central London office on the fringes of the City, said that if the Leeds Cyclepoint pilot proved successful, his company would like to introduce others. The Department for Transport and Network Rail have earmarked Liverpool Lime Street, where Abellio operates Merseyrail; London’s St Pancras, Victoria and Waterloo stations; Grimsby; Hull; Scunthorpe, Sheffield and York in the next two years.

The Leeds Cyclepoint will be situated directly in front of the station, next to the taxi rank. The development will start small but storage can be increased as demand grows.

Capital idea, Mr Mayor

Behind the story: Alex Spence

Thousands of new cyclists will be encouraged to take to Central London streets after the launch of a £140 million bicycle hire scheme on July 30.

The brainchild of Boris Johnson, London’s Mayor, the scheme will allow the public access to 6,000 Canadian-made bikes from 400 docking stations across the city. The Mayor claims the scheme will generate an additional 40,000 cycle journeys each day and revolutionise transport in Central London.

The fleet, which will be maintained by Serco, the services group, is based on a scheme in Montreal that had more than a million users in its first year. Other cities have similar schemes. Paris’s Vélib, below, has become a favourite of tourists since it was launched in 2007 and now has 20,000 bikes at almost 1,700 locations. In Hangzhou, China, a scheme is said to have 40,000 bikes. Other cities with bike-sharing schemes include Berlin, Barcelona and Mexico City.

Merging this type of scheme onto an annual season ticket accross all modes would be a leap forward.
PVC King

Postby ac1976 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:00 pm

PVC, The Green Party has a dublin cycle plan plan which includes a commitment to do this
http://www.bikescheme.ie/green-party-cycle-plan-dublin

A Multi-Storey Bicycle park at Heuston Station
The Central Station at Amsterdam has a multi-storey floating bicycle park for 2,500 bicycles designed by an Irish architect. We’ll provide something similar on the River Liffey at Hesuton Station so that commuters can bike and train with ease to and from the city centre

I dont know if it will every be built but I believe the general idea has made it into the Dublin City Draft Development Plan there is an item in there Chapter 5.1.4.4
Basically meaning that such a facility could be in line with the Dev Plan and ease the planning app process but not much of a commitment form the council to built it. The Dept Transport will need to cough up the money and champion this project if it is ever to happen.

A new cycle parking strategy to provide guidance on the nature, quantum and
location of cycling parking facilities in the city to address cycle parking needs at public transport stops and interchange and other key destinations and attractions
ac1976

Postby PVC King » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Its great that the Green party have it in their policy; but is it in the programme for Government and is it funded?

Why I find this article very pertinent is that Montague by not tendering this could very easily have led the public to believe that JC Deceaux was the only operator in the market for the Velib scheme. Now we discover that the Dutch Railway company have run a supply and that a seperate services company are getting the nod from Boris who knows only too well that none of the London Corporations and City Councils would allow a mass cluttering of the city centre with permanent advertising installations and I'm sure they were offered significant sums by more than one party to get same installed.

I'd suggest someone in the Dept of Transport just ring Amsterdam to see what the costs are and ascertain what the charges would need to be; to make the proposal cost neutral to the exchequer; failing that granting Brompton a concession at the main stations to market fold up bikes would also help; apparently they are now so popular that there was a 'World Championship' for them last year.
PVC King

Postby missarchi » Mon May 24, 2010 10:41 pm

next stop free public transport! just lease a tv station...
missarchi
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland