Projects finished next year 2010

Re: Projects finished next year 2010

Postby foremanjoe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm sure he just means it's a farce that a petty provincial town like Limerick is getting a massive infrastructure project while the poor folk in the Pale have to make do with a couple of light rail lines, some QBCs, the M50 and a public bike scheme.

As far as I'm aware the tunnel scheme is one of the biggest infrastructure projects outside the Dublin area since Ardnacrusha right?
That kind of dough would have been better used cutting 10 minutes off a commute from Dundrum.
foremanjoe

Postby D-A-V-E » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:30 pm

foremanjoe wrote:I'm sure he just means it's a farce that a petty provincial town like Limerick is getting a massive infrastructure project while the poor folk in the Pale have to make do with a couple of light rail lines, some QBCs, the M50 and a public bike scheme.

As far as I'm aware the tunnel scheme is one of the biggest infrastructure projects outside the Dublin area since Ardnacrusha right?
That kind of dough would have been better used cutting 10 minutes off a commute from Dundrum.

the city is the 3rd largest urban area in the country, and it has a terrible traffic problim, the tunnel will divert 40,000 vehicles from the roads a day to ease the congestion in the city, anyone who has ever drivin through the place will know what im on about!
D-A-V-E

Postby rob mc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:32 pm

foremanjoe wrote:I'm sure he just means it's a farce that a petty provincial town like Limerick is getting a massive infrastructure project while the poor folk in the Pale have to make do with a couple of light rail lines, some QBCs, the M50 and a public bike scheme.

Well its gonna be needed in the future if not now anyway, thats usualy the problem with this country not looking to the future e.g putting 2 lanes on the M50.
rob mc

Postby foremanjoe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:44 pm

D-A-V-E wrote:the city is the 3rd largest urban area in the country, and it has a terrible traffic problim, the tunnel will divert 40,000 vehicles from the roads a day to ease the congestion in the city, anyone who has ever drivin through the place will know what im on about!

Was my cynical tone not evident enough in my previous post?

The tunnel is of course a justified and relatively far-sighted project, it's certainly a long way from a farce!
foremanjoe

Postby CologneMike » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:07 pm

pippin101 wrote:Explain? I'm not aware of any issues with the tunnel and I've been following it closely.

Actually the farce revolves around the Port Authority.

When the construction work began, the “Shannon Foynes Port Company” decided it wanted to close its Limerick Port facility and invest the proceeds downriver at Foynes thus making the tunnels necessity for shipping a farce.

Obviously the Tunnel was the most expensive option. Facet the taxpayer and the toll payers will have to cough up more money than for say the cheaper Low Level Closed Bridge which would have also been just as intrusive on the landscape as the Shannon Bridge.

Still though even when the port will move down river, it’s nice to keep a maritime link for visiting naval ships or cruisers. Limerick Port has a long history.

Mid-West Roads see “Crossing the Shannon” and “Crossing Selection”.

See also Shannon Foynes Port Company sales pitch to sell the port.
Attachments
3-limerick-tunnel.jpg
3-limerick-tunnel.jpg (39.86 KiB) Viewed 631 times
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby murrmurr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:47 pm

According to http://www.limericktunnel.com

There is an open day Sat week (June 19th from 10am - 5pm) for the public to walk
through the tunnel before it opens to traffic. It's approx 900m long under the river shannon :)
murrmurr

Previous

Return to Ireland