prettiest buildings in Dublin and county

prettiest buildings in Dublin and county

Postby JackHack » Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:33 pm

As a balance to the other topic.

Has anybody passed along Marlborough street recently? If you are, take a good look in towards the Department Of Education buildings oppostite the Pro Cathedral. It's a pleasure to the eyes whats taking shape there and reminds me of the spaciousness around he Louvre in Paris.
JackHack

Postby urbanisto » Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:08 pm

I agree - its looks great. Its forms part of a proposed pedestrain link from O'Connell St to Gardiner St. and is also an importnat element of the rehabilitation of Marlborough St. Which cant come too soon in my opinion. Marl St - especially between Talbot St and the Quay is a mess. Its is sinful how much it has been let decline.

On another point has anyone seen Henrietta Street in recent years? Its is Dublin's oldest surviving Georgian streetscape...and looks it. It breaks my heart. Does anyone have any ideas on how one can encourage perservation of these types of buildings (the 5 Georgian on Beresford Place being another example). An Taisce? Dub Georgian Society? Or the City Council?
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby pvdz » Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:26 pm

Worst of all are the millions of fake victorian Amsterdammers that have proliferated there! the corpo have put down so many, that it is like a black wall swallowing up the street! Much worse than anywhere else they have put these bloody things up,appearing in a blitzkreg fashion all over the city.
pvdz

Return to Ireland