T2 & Pier D Images

Re: T2 & Pier D Images

Postby Peter Fitz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:08 am

I was under the impression myself that it was to be re-built elsewhere in the airport, not quite it seems.

DAA wrote:The early stages of the project required
the removal of a number of existing
buildings at the T2 site including the
formerly listed Corballis House.
Prior to the controlled demolition of
Corballis House, the DAA made a detailed
record of the property and its history. All
items of architectural merit from the house
were also carefully salvaged prior to its
demolition.

The DAA plans in time to re-use all the
salvaged material, including doors, window
frames, shutters and floor tiles in the
renovation of Cloghran Stud Farm,which is
located close to Dublin Airport. It is also
possible that some of the decorative
plasterwork, salvaged from Corballis House,
will be incorporated within T2.
Peter Fitz

Postby AndrewP » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:40 pm

On October 2006 , it was reported:

Fingal County Council.has attached 43 conditions to the planning permission. The decision however allows for the demolition of Corballis House.
AndrewP

Postby Global Citizen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:02 am

Flyboy wrote:The DAA has put new new construction images of T2 on its website. They also have shots of Pier D at Dublin Airport. Pictures are in the Image Bank area

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/TDA/Overview/

RE - Flyboy's initial post that opened this thread.
Yer man in the second photo has been sitting there for a long time now. (Almost six months). He must be waiting for the metro into town, bless him.
Global Citizen

Postby Global Citizen » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:57 am

11.00. Thursday 22/01/07
Attachments
Berlin 257.jpg
Berlin 257.jpg (291.22 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
Berlin 258.jpg
Berlin 258.jpg (285.1 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Berlin 259.jpg
Berlin 259.jpg (296.51 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Global Citizen

Postby Global Citizen » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:17 am

fergalr wrote:Oh, it's a very classy little bar until you glance upwards and realise that they never fitted a ceiling. It's just pipes and other usually hidden paraphenalia :p

True .........
Attachments
Berlin 001.jpg
Berlin 001.jpg (293.52 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Berlin 002.jpg
Berlin 002.jpg (293.73 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
Global Citizen

Postby johnny21 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Going up fast.......!!!!!

Pics from flickr.com
Attachments
dublin airport2.jpg
dublin airport2.jpg (94.28 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
dublin airport1.jpg
dublin airport1.jpg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
johnny21

Postby df1711 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:10 pm

they arenit hanging around are they! its flyin up.what airlines are going to use the new terminal, is it to be exclusively aer lingus like BA use T5 at heathrow, or is it for all airlines, i presume ryaniar wont be using it!
df1711

Postby archipig » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Apparently its to be used by Aer Lingus and the other long haul airlines. Its got a new US emmigration facility.

With traffic currently dropping, the airport will be rather spacious next year when this thing opens. Its designed to handle up to 15m passengers p.a.. There will be a nnother new pier built to the south of terminal 2 in the future. There is also planning going ahead for a new ATC tower complex this year, and it will be considerable taller than the existing one.
archipig

Postby what? » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:59 pm

who are the architects for this monstrosity? people with the formal sensitivity of a rabid dog should not be allowed to design the gateway to our nation, and if they are they shouldn't be experimental with the range of thie abilities. even Henry J Lyons had the good sense to do this. this 'thing' is a depressing disgrace.
what?

Postby EIA340600 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 pm

What?..What exactly do find so depressing about Terminal 2?
While it may be a little bit on the boring side what airport isn't?Other than a choice few like Suvarnabhumi...I think it looks well considering it's in the wrong spot in the airport and it caters for the wrong number of people.What do you think a terminal should look like?Personally i think a terminal should look pretty much like this.Bright ,spacious and airy.
EIA340600

Postby fergalr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:08 pm

archipig wrote:Apparently its to be used by Aer Lingus and the other long haul airlines. Its got a new US emmigration facility.

It's where we're going to put our share of the Gitmo detainees. There's no American official as authoritarian as the pear shaped woman (there's always one) who works for U.S Customs.
fergalr

Postby MurrayMints » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:43 am

what? wrote:who are the architects for this monstrosity? people with the formal sensitivity of a rabid dog should not be allowed to design the gateway to our nation, and if they are they shouldn't be experimental with the range of thie abilities. even Henry J Lyons had the good sense to do this. this 'thing' is a depressing disgrace.

Ah to be fair now what?, describing it as a 'monstrosity' might be a bit harsh. What is so depressingly disgraceful about it?
And if it is a depressing disgrace, what airport would you use as an example of, lets say, an uplifting triumph??
MurrayMints

Postby spoil_sport » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:35 am

I'm with what? on this one.
Lazy rehashing of passé late 90s, early 00s style blobatecture; a generic, "contemporary", "cool", "design" and devoid of any real imagination, or skill, in executing something that is appropriate to represent the first point of contact with the nation. Indeed, devoid of anything that says "Ireland" or any of the positive things we would like to project upon ourselves, for others to perceive. In fact it says nothing other than "welcome to yet another bland fucking airport, get your bags as quickly as we allow and get out"

"And if it is a depressing disgrace, what airport would you use as an example of, lets say, an uplifting triumph??"

Well, true, there aren't many, the few I can think of, Saarinen's TWA in JFK and Washington Dulles, Roger's airport in madrid, isn't bad, I'd even stretch to Foster's Beijing airport; but surley that is not an excuse why we should have a particularly bland one?
spoil_sport

Postby reddy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 am

I don't think its that bad - it does reflect the dynamism and hopefully will reflect some of the excitement of air travel but it is very samey - standard airport stuff.

I really liked the Shannon extension - Very different from most airports and a really pleasant departure point.

http://www.murrayolaoire.com/transport/projects/shannon_airport/index.html
reddy

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 am

reddy wrote:I really liked the Shannon extension - Very different from most airports and a really pleasant departure point.

Agreed, but what is the story with the god awful yellow(wtf?) stick-on signage.
Peter Fitz

Postby johnglas » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Two off the top of my head - Cork and Palma; Schipol may sprawl a bit now, but it still works. Basically, you want an airport that's clean, bright and airy and will detain you for the shortest possible time. A bit like a dentist's waiting room, in fact. It's a long time since air travel has been anything other than a bad dream and most airports reflect that.
johnglas

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:27 pm

[quote="johnglas"]
Two off the top of my head - Cork and Palma]

Cork is decent enough, nice scale/form if a little conventional.

Peter Fitz

Postby what? » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:51 pm

I never said it was boring, I said it made me angry.

The awkward form of this building not only jars violently with its context (no mean feat) but equally with the majority of accommodation held within. I haven’t seen a drawn section of this building but from passing it several times It’s quite clear that a lot of the interior spaces have been compromised for the ‘benefit’ of this imposed irrelevant external form, and bear absolutely no relation to it.

I will admit to having a disposition against this ‘style’ of architecture (i.e. pointlessly expressive formal gymnastics, executed on the budget of an industrial shed) but when designed by the hand of an architect of flair and sensitivity the results can be acceptable and sometimes even interesting. But this building has the appearance of being designed by some mid-management type architect in a large corporate office who saw a Renzo Piano monograph once and decided to ‘have a go’, giving little heed to the scale, setting, context, spatial organisation, material, detailing or their own innate lack of formal skill. I think it’s an outrage, and while an airport shouldn’t necessary say something explicit about a country, it should imply the countries values. If this is the case we are a shallow nation, interested in expedience, vulgar spectacle and oblivious to considerations of quality, incapable of vision or integral thought.

Airports which I have been to and enjoyed as an architectural experience include, Charles de Gaulle, Stansted, Hong Kong and Kansai airports.

In the absence of such architectural skill or budgets, formal restraint should be exercised. There is nothing worse or more misguided than a statement building by a poor architect.

I’m a bit tired of hearing Rem Koolhaus’s attestation that Schipol is the best airport in the world by virtue of it’s efficiency, of course an important factor but we shouldn’t be blinded by such simplistic sound bites.
what?

Postby fergalr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Budapest's Terminal Two is a dream. It's about a two or three minute walk from the gate to the door of Arrivals or Departures. Architecturally it's a sort of curvy homage to Templehof. Or just curvy :P
fergalr

Postby markpb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 am

The outside of the airport really doesn't matter - most people will never see it. All that matters is in the inside. Does it work, is it easy for customers, can it grow. Most people will walk through and (hopefully) get on a Metro or a bus to the car rental/car parks. I've flown through countless airports and couldn't tell you what any of them look like from the outside.
markpb

Postby johnglas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:36 am

fergair (pun?): I'd forgotten about Tempelhof, which proves that 'fascist' architecture (actually stripped-down neo-classical/Art Deco) still has its attractions. Tempelhof actually dates from 1923 (Weimar Republic) and only ceased operation in 2008; it's still a classic. The buildings were designed by Ernst Sagebiel, at the behest of Albert Speer, in 1934.
[pics from Wikipedia]
Attachments
800px-TempelhofInterior.jpg
800px-TempelhofInterior.jpg (61.28 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
180px-TempelhofExterior.jpg
180px-TempelhofExterior.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
800px-FlughafenBerlinTempelhof1984.jpg
800px-FlughafenBerlinTempelhof1984.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
johnglas

Postby what? » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Now there is an airport that implies the values of a country, and is amazing architectural experience.

Albert Speer never ceases to impress me.
what?

Postby Fergal » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Templehof is closed now though, and Berlin is closing Tegel airport too, and moving all their flights to Schönefeld airport by 2011.
Fergal

Postby fergalr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Speer was some insane architect. Germania would have been Europe's worst looking city. 1984 meets Ozymandias in an insecure clusterf**k. I have Speer's autobiography. It makes interesting reading.
fergalr

Postby fergalr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:06 pm

johnglas wrote:fergair (pun?)

lol, it's fergaLr.
fergalr

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland