The destruction of St. Stephen's Green

Re: The destruction of St. Stephen's Green

Postby missarchi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:26 am

The question you have to ask yourself is where is the centre of the city?
And that would have to be O'connell st bridge or the Carlyle group.

Most people will head west from tara?
Tara was put in when a metro was never possible In Ireland and it is to close to Pearce.
Tara with the bank and the river next to it is a lost opportunity.
Will docklands and the north wall bottle site happen in the next 20 years?
Should docklands get such an easy foot in the door and waste another 7 minutes when it is already so close to the city? should the sligo line be able to run into metro north at drumcondra or the junction into granny morgan? you could build a metro line to docklands instead of the circle bridge in another 10 years?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 am

5:10 pretty amazing (the architecture is crap)

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TtKm9cRp3b0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TtKm9cRp3b0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
missarchi
Old Master

Postby mud hut! » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:48 pm

If the University of Regina in the U.S can do this for trees on their campus surely we can do the same for Stephen's Green?Move the trees to a temporary location elsewhere in the green or the Phoenix park and when the metro work's complete move them back.Giant tree spades can remove trees up to 40 inch's across and lager trees can be moved by other means.
Simple!

Tree Relocation
In preparation for campus construction, the University of Regina initiated one of the largest tree moving projects in North America.

More than 240 trees, some up to 15 metres (60 feet) in height, were moved to locations around the University of Regina campus. Approximately 65 trees were cut down, as they were either in poor condition or too large to be moved successfully. The relocation took place in September 2002.

Trees moved include Scotch Pine, Colorado Spruce, American Elm, Green Ash, Little Leaf Linden, Shubert Chokecherry, Common Hackberry, Ornamental Crab, Golden Willow, Bur Oak, and Amur Maple.

Fast Facts
There are no naturally occurring trees in Regina; each tree on the University of Regina campus was hand planted.
The largest tree spade in North America – the 124-inch BIGGER DIGGER – was built in Alberta and used on the tree relocation project.
The tallest tree moved was a 15-metre Scotch Pine.
The total cost of the project was $350,000 – the replacement value of the trees moved was well in excess of $1 million.
Attachments
Regina campus.jpg
Regina campus.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
tree moving.jpg
tree moving.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
tree spade.jpg
tree spade.jpg (14.07 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
mud hut!

Postby SeamusOG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:02 am

There was an announcement this week that the LUAS green line is to be extended northward from St. Stephen's Green to Broombridge. I welcome this,because it would remove the need for the proposed DART tunnel to be built through St. Stephen's Green, though I am disappointed that funding doesn't seem to be available for measures to reduce the obtrusiveness of the project in the centre of Dublin.
SeamusOG

Postby Telchak » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Actually, they're building BXD in such a way that the DART station box can still be excavated after BXD has been built.

I'm sure I'm not describing this in a technical manner, but I hope yo understand what I mean :crazy: They're going to do a lot of piling under the tracks during BXD construction. These will later act like stilts when DART and Metro stations are being excavated beneath them. You can see the drawings here.

DART Underground is the single most important transport project for Dublin, and WILL go ahead eventually. Stephen's Green is the only sensible place to put a station in that area.
Telchak

Postby StephenC » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:32 pm

The Luas line extension doesn't negate the need for either DART Underground or Metro North but it has been decided for now that this is the only one of these three infrastructure projects in the capital that will proceed. In my view there remains a very strong case for DART Underground to effectively link and reorder rail lines in the city.

Its true that shelving the DART and Metro projects does save the Green from being (probably significantly) compromised. There are still problems with the Green of course, more or less ignored by those in control in the city. St Stephen's Green is a beautiful urban setpiece that has unfortunately been continuously compromised over the past few decades due to speculative development and local authority indifference. The latest blighting of the Green has been the dreadful street layout put in place about 2005 to facilitate one way traffic etc. It has created a large area of redundant space on the north side of the Green between Grafton and Dawson Streets that now functions as a taxi rank. The west side, dominated by the Luas stop is also poorly resolved. The other two sides have over engineered traffic lanes that diminished the street quality of the Green. Its all looks pants to me...but hey maybe it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I don't know what readers views are on the proposed changes under the Luas project. Will it resolve the Green for the better?
StephenC
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland