Heuston framework plan

Re: Heuston framework plan

Postby Alek Smart » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Gunter asked.....
On the subject of our eponymous railway station: Who is the Iarnród Eireann senior executive with overall responsibility for light bulbs?

Teacher Teacher !!!!....It`s the same person who`s in charge of the Bulbs for The Spire .... :p :p :p
Alek Smart

Postby Devin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 pm

What happened to this public space project? Lodged as a proposal with local authority exemption, but undecided - 2680/07

Devin
Old Master

Postby ac1976 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:30 pm

Where did all the traffic lights go in that plan?

That plan has been put on hold by DCC anyway for budget reasons, even though the new developments on the street inc Hilton Hotel etc has contributed about EUR200,000 to the council twards it.
ac1976

Postby GregF » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:45 pm

ac1976 wrote:Where did all the traffic lights go in that plan?

That plan has been put on hold by DCC anyway for budget reasons, even though the new developments on the street inc Hilton Hotel etc has contributed about EUR200,000 to the council twards it.

Probalby pocketing the money at Council HQ like the Bankers and the rest of the robbers in the country.

But pity this paving scheme is not gonna go ahead. Kilmainham is a potentially great area, historically rich with the Gaol and Hospital etc..., that has been neglected for years and years. The Kilmainham Courthouse is still missing a letterbox flap after many, many years.

BTW .....is yer wan Paris Hilton wearing the stillettoes and running along with the dalmation in that rendered image.
GregF
Old Master

Postby ac1976 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:55 pm

looks like the develepor (LALCO) paid DCC EUR232,427 twords this, how much was it gonna cost? and were they actually ever going to build it?

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00022960.pdf
ac1976

Postby GrahamH » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm

GregF wrote:
is yer wan Paris Hilton wearing the stillettoes and running along with the dalmation in that rendered image.

As suspected, the above mentioned Spirit of the Place appears to be this lady-who-lunches' perfume - which, if producing such exhilarating results, I'd be most earnest to get my hands on.

At least gunter wasn't too stressed over the closure of IMMA (why the Royal Hospital also had to remain closed is beyond me) - by contrast I walked the whole way out from St. Stephen's Green two weekends ago only to find the place similarly barricaded, without so much as a sinner around. One had no choice therefore, but to photograph various misgivings about the grounds. In avoidance of drawing attention to such trivial matters as decaying paintwork and joinery, it is suggested that for this reason alone the museum be kept open.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:52 pm

It is utterly shameful and pathetic that, after long years overwhelmed with traffic and filthy Co2 fumes, Dublin is set to remain a civic basket case that can't even make the few small planned gestures towards civic quality and reducing car movement.
Devin
Old Master

Postby gunter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:52 pm

ac1976 wrote:looks like the develepor (LALCO) paid DCC EUR232,427 towards this, how much was it gonna cost? and were they actually ever going to build it?

DCC will probably argue that the money was spent on upgrading the pavement, planting some trees and possibly the installation of the wobbly cut-out silhouette figure 'Art' on the north side of Inchicore Road. Lalco's responsibility would have ended at the property boundary and the full pavement has been done, to a pretty high standard.

How it could have cost €232,427 is another matter.

On the lassy with the dog, she's well known around here! I see her every day, if she's not walking that dog in her high heels, she's in her pyjamas, smoking a fag, pushing a buggy :)
gunter
Old Master

Postby hutton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Devin wrote:It is utterly shameful and pathetic that, after long years overwhelmed with traffic and filthy Co2 fumes, Dublin is set to remain a civic basket case that can't even make the few small planned gestures towards civic quality and reducing car movement.

Agreed.

gunter wrote:On the lassy with the dog, she's well known around here! I see her every day, if she's not walking that dog in her high heels, she's in her pyjamas, smoking a fag, pushing a buggy :)

Lol. I think the best bit of graffiti I ever saw on a development hoarding was here, about three years ago, where photos of plush apartment living were framed by square boxes measuring maybe 1m x 1m - beside which a helpful individual had written "actual size" :D
hutton

Postby missarchi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I don't like the poles however Madrid styles bollards would be great here
missarchi
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:19 am

gunter wrote:This has been running for weeks now, the same dodgy act, the same scratchy sound, What's the plan, are they going to keep showing this until the viewing figures reach twenty?

Dublin would get a million more hits if it connected the dots and made the dots interesting...
none of this temp stuff for the big players far far away...
I'm glad the interconnector has been extended...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby gunter » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am

missarchi wrote:I'm glad the interconnector has been extended...

extended to a ''Future'' station at Inchicore :rolleyes:
gunter
Old Master

Postby johnglas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:54 am

It's contemporary art, gunter, and you've got to like it because those people who control contemporary art say you really, really should or you just DON'T GET IT! (And you won't be hip.)
What a waste of a classic buiding.
johnglas

Postby gunter » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Ok, but if I did 'GET IT', what is it I'm getting?
gunter
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm

You wouldn't understand.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby poukai » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:44 pm

On a slightly off-topic note, does anyone know what the round building - currently being finished - right next to the entrance to Phoenix Park (Heuston side) is? Went past there the other day (not my usual part of Dublin) and couldn't help but wonder...
poukai

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby poukai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am

Ah, cheers!
poukai

Postby marmajam » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:58 pm

gate looks good though.

added bonus is that philistines will be distracted and have an accident.
marmajam

Postby gunter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 pm

marmajam wrote:added bonus is that philistines will be distracted and have an accident.

This is strictly illegal, you cannot place low level obstacles across a pedestrian route :mad:

Is there no one in the OPW with a shread of common sense?
gunter
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:54 pm

They have these balls in Madrid except they are better balls and more of them...
I've noticed an insane amount of way finding in a city now for the blind.
It's getting to the stage now where where I think you could call your self an accessibility architect. I also feel they are quite dangerous for people with vision that are not used to them being there because its so easy to trip up and hurt yourself which I'm sure many do.
I don't know about you but the amount of money going in to all this must be massive.
It's gotten to the stage here where its very hard to find a normal footpath that has not got some massive strip running through.
missarchi
Old Master

Postby magwea » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:40 pm

I think i can remember that not to long ago there was a massive travellers camp just outside the main entrance along the road to Houston station. Maybe, the bollards are there in case they should show up again. At least they lived the place up, the museum is completely desolate whenever i go.
magwea

Postby ac1976 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:52 pm

magwea wrote:I think i can remember that not to long ago there was a massive travellers camp just outside the main entrance along the road to Houston station. Maybe, the bollards are there in case they should show up again. At least they lived the place up, the museum is completely desolate whenever i go.

A massive travellers camp is hardly desolation. Are you sure that wasn't an exhibit? any photos of that?
Funny enough there are plans to improve IMMA:
-To connect the musuem with Heuston (IMMA Avenue)
-To open an additional Science Museum (65,000 visitors per year, 60,000 sq ft) from 2011
-To add additional (3000 sq ft+) exhibition space in a new building from 2011
-To create a new entrance to the Museum along the new IMMA avenue
-To open a Dart station at Heuston
That is all part of the Heuston Gate (Eircom / OPW) development.

I'm guessing the current main entrance will end up as the carpark entrance
ac1976

Postby gunter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:04 pm

ac1976 wrote:to create a new entrance to the Museum along the new IMMA avenue

The new IMMA avenue?

You need to wake up and smell the tarmac.

They re-surfaced Military Road, this is ''the new IMMA avenue'' and duplicating the gate pier and sticking shiny steel drums on top is ''the new entrance''.

The promised Science Centre has nothing to do with IMMA, it was going to be on the other side of the street and it pretty much died when the 32 storey tower died. Anyway it was the same movable feast that's been promised to every regeneration area for years. There are still people in Smithfield who think it's going there!

As a building, it's no loss IMO, it would have been standard feeble fare from the OPW, a grey concrete tribute to the Gateshead multi-storey car park, the exact opposite of what a Science Centre should be.

a scan of a picture from one of the papers

I love proper Science Centres, they can be brilliant. I spent four hours in this one in Bremen a while back.

gunter
Old Master

Postby Yixian » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:27 pm

gunter wrote:http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6380/bremensciencecentre2.jpg[/IMG]

Now THAT is brilliant.
Yixian

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland