Tara Street Station, Redevelopment, Dublin

Tara Street Station, Redevelopment, Dublin

Postby MG » Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:56 pm

It's downtown Chicago comes to Dublin. Very large, massive impact, but the Georges Quay development will pave the way for it.
MG

Postby Ronan C » Wed Jan 24, 2001 2:09 pm

Have you seen the plans MG. If you have what are they like?
Ronan C

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Jan 24, 2001 3:57 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Copo » Wed Jan 24, 2001 6:46 pm

The images dont show the existing Ulster Bank buiding work going on behind. How will it be intergrated with this scheme?? Of course, any other country with any appreciation for urban design etc., would have got these two developments together, to create something quite beautiful to reflect the Custom House, two designs that work together functionally and aesthetically as a composition. Obviously its too late now, as the Ulster Bank (probally the worst infill design I've ever seen) is nearly complete. How will Tara street relate to this scheme in terms of scale etc.??? Will there be any public spaces (plaza) created from these two designs?
Copo

Postby Rory W » Wed Jan 24, 2001 6:55 pm

In two words "bloody hell"!! I like it
Rory W
Old Master

Postby studqub » Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:01 am

It reminds me of SOM's Gas Company building in Los Angeles, but this is a pretty poor imitation. I would be interested in how deep the plan/section is and what the material/finish will be?
studqub

Postby MG » Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:10 am

Its very hard to assess it properly because of the lack of the surrounding buildings in the images. There are some large buildinbgs in that area, so its size shouldnt look so pronounced in reality. I have to admit, that I kinda like it.
MG

Postby Paul_9000 » Thu Jan 25, 2001 12:50 pm

The pic look good alright,
but it will look differently
against the mess on either side,
especially the Tara st, poolbeg st
area tall buildings.

Then again if you were to show a pic
of Hawkins house against a sky that
blue people would probably say they
like it.
Paul_9000

Postby Copo » Thu Jan 25, 2001 3:47 pm

We can't judge this building on a very basic computer image - more detailed drawings (plan, sections etc.) are neccessary. Vital information has even crudely been left out these images (surrounding high-rise buildings). It certainly has the potential to be a good scheme......at least, by Irish Architecture standards.
Copo

Postby GregF » Sun Jan 28, 2001 2:51 am

This looks quite stylish....John Portman- like.....no doubt it will meet opposition and will probably have to be reduced in height and coated in red brick instead!
GregF
Old Master

Postby GregF » Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:02 am

To add, if this building gets the go ahead maybe they'll replace the Loopline bridge (despite it being a fine Victorian example)with a more modern one being lighter in appearance as what was proposed before. Santiago Calatrava could get the job and Irish Rail can finally say hello to the 21st century.
GregF
Old Master

Postby kburns » Tue Jan 30, 2001 4:33 pm

Don't know much about the height of the neighbouring buildings not being portrayed properly in the computer image but where the hell did all the trees come from?

[This message has been edited by kburns (edited 30 January 2001).]
kburns

Postby Peter Fitz » Tue Jan 30, 2001 8:36 pm

Have to admit that i was impressed and surprised when i saw the above image but as mentioned earlier the image is very basic, makes it look like like the building is planned for a green field. Plenty of questions - what will face where, what materials will be used and we definitely need a picture showing all surrounding buildings, particularly interested to know what it will look like against the crappy towers currently under construction at georges quay.
Peter Fitz

Postby MG » Fri Feb 02, 2001 10:49 am

This gives a much more accurate impression of size.

MG

Postby Goodwinm » Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:07 am

I wonder will CIE's impressive plans extend to providing a toilet for its customers ?
Goodwinm

Postby Marx » Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:36 am

...and will they keep it clean?...mutton dressed as lamb, etc...lovely trees!
Marx

Postby Ronan C » Fri Feb 16, 2001 9:21 am

I doubt if they will keep it clean, look what has happened to the new Connelly Street station, its always filthy.
Ronan C

Postby Rory W » Fri Feb 16, 2001 6:30 pm

Dont blame CIE, blame the users.
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Ronan C » Fri Feb 16, 2001 7:38 pm

Fair point Rory but I still think CIE should (if they have the resources) spend more money on cleaning.
Ronan C

Postby MG » Sat Feb 17, 2001 12:18 pm

Connolly is a bad example, the downstairs area is cheaply finished, out of sight of staff and hard to clean. Look at Heuston, better example, concourse is always spotless.
MG

Postby Peter Fitz » Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:28 pm

So what do you all think of the picture MG posted?...looks a tad bulky for my liking, dont know about its chances of getting pp with all the emphasis from the corpo on tall and slender blah blah.
Peter Fitz

Postby Jas » Sun Feb 18, 2001 3:54 pm

That view shows the building at its maximum width, as the site is narrow and long. I think that the subtleties of the curves are also lost in what is a rather bland rendering.

It does seem to be quite a large building though, but I imagine that the Georges Quay dev. will pave the way for planning permission.
Jas

Postby GregF » Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:09 pm

They should build it and remodel the loopline bridge as well. It's the 21st century and the public should have a better understanding of the architecture of today.
GregF
Old Master

Postby Marx » Wed Feb 21, 2001 11:25 pm

Failing to keep a train station clean, like the city's streets, cannot be blamed on a lack of resources. It's the failure to properly manage the resources available which is the problem, such as the lack of supervision of cleaning or personal accountability (how much cleaner this city would be if regular checks were made of street cleaners!). Moreover, always blaming the public for litter (which Dub. Corpo. does) directs attention away from this management failure, afterall, every European city creates litter except most are much better at removing it than we are!
Marx

Postby bunch » Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:47 am

Here we go again, the public are not at fault for the litter problem. We are not a dirty nation. It is the Corpo's fault! Marx, cop on a bit. That attitude has excused our dirty ways for a long time. While u are correct in what u say about management and resources, but imagine if people in our cities began to realise that they don't have a god- given right to dump where ever they like, the task of keeping the cities clean would be easier, less expensive. Our local authorities have many many better things to do than wasting huge monies and man hours, on picking up our litter. I'll ask u one question Marx. Honestly, who is at fault for Dublin's, Cork's, Limerick's litter problem......is it really the 'authorities' or the public?? Your first message seems like a bit of a cop- out that's all, and it excuses the public from any responsibilty whatsoever. Does every European city really create the same volume of public litter that we do? I don't think so.

[This message has been edited by bunch (edited 22 February 2001).]
bunch

Next

Return to Ireland