Libeskind - Grand Canal Theatre

Re: Libeskind - Grand Canal Theatre

Postby marmajam » Tue May 19, 2009 9:34 am

rumpelstiltskin wrote:Or, as is more often the case, vice versa.

I think this sentence sums up a lot of what's wrong with architects nowadays. After three years being lectured by failed architects, people come out sounding like textbooks instead of human beings.

surprising remark. a rare shaft of truth. wasted here.
marmajam

Postby what? » Tue May 19, 2009 11:11 am

Rumplestiltskin,

Because my statement was specific instead of ambiguous it is from a text book?

There is another thread for people like you who think written expression shouldnt exceed the boundaries of 'grand' and 'crap'.
what?

Postby missarchi » Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 am

green_jesus wrote:+1

This has to be the most interesting and original design in the last 15 years and it will be cherished for many years to come.

You cannot be serious...
missarchi
Old Master

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue May 19, 2009 4:01 pm

what? wrote:Rumplestiltskin,

Because my statement was specific instead of ambiguous it is from a text book?

There is another thread for people like you who think written expression shouldnt exceed the boundaries of 'grand' and 'crap'.

I simply mean that if a building is great and striking, the notion that we should consider it inappropriate because it's "not justified" and "irrational" is insane.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby gunter » Tue May 19, 2009 5:24 pm

what? wrote:Of course the 'reasoning' behind the building is dire and as a piece of architecture it has no integrity, but as something to look at it is becoming quite striking.

I love that sentence what?, if you loaded it with any more contempt, it would tip over!

rumpelstiltskin wrote:I think this sentence sums up a lot of what's wrong with architects nowadays. After three years being lectured by failed architects, people come out sounding like textbooks instead of human beings.

You're way off the mark there rumple, . . . . no it's five years, not three years.

On the issue of the building itself, it's definitely high on impact and free from any of the increasingly staid architectural language of the civic theatre. The great hooded entrance could perhaps be said to be 'sheltering' and almost 'functional'.

I don't even mind the crumpled glass screens, or the office park cladding of the Macken Street frontage, . . . . it's just those criss-cross white steel bands behind the glass, they just look like they belong to a different building! That and the way the heavy, sharply projecting, wings just seem to slam into the facade! Why does this look so unresolved?

rumpelstiltskin wrote:I simply mean that if a building is great and striking, the notion that we should consider it inappropriate because it's "not justified" and "irrational" is insane.

I think this is to do with expectations. We don't want to be impressed by just very expensive gimmicks, we want the quirks to mean something, or to have an underlying logic. That was the apparent genius of the Jewish Museum, (as pointed out by none other than the Sean O'Laoire, if I recall). There's not much wrong in wanting architecture to be 'rational', or failing that, 'justified'. Any eejit can do 'irrational' and 'unjustified', if the budget is big enough.

Leaving aside the issues of detailing, don't you get the feeling that this is a slightly surreal moment in the architectural development of Dublin?

We've an actual new urban square now at Grand Canal dock, where there used to be cement works and scrap yards, (we'll come back to that hotel later), and now a shiny new theatre by architecture's wunderkind. Over on North Wall they're topping off Kevin Roche's NCC and out on the Liffey, there's a Calatrava bridge sitting on a barge!

The last time there was probably a moment like this in Dublin, they were building Merrion Square, the Wide Streets Commissioners were aggrandizing Dame Street and Gandon was fending off angry mobs at the Custom House.
gunter
Old Master

Postby ihateawake » Wed May 20, 2009 2:16 am

gunter wrote:I don't even mind the crumpled glass screens, or the office park cladding of the Macken Street frontage, . . . . it's just those criss-cross white steel bands behind the glass, they just look like they belong to a different building!

Thats it exactly! I still like it, but they seem so industrial for the... finesse.. this building ought to project. Its like the hotel next door infected it. Hopefully the stone clad roof will improve things, ill reserve judgment.
ihateawake

Postby what? » Wed May 20, 2009 9:52 am

The white bands are clearly the manipulation of structure into motif.

The jarring junction of facade with the side wings is also symptomatic of this intentionally unresolved aesthetic drive.
what?

Postby alonso » Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 am

gunter wrote:The last time there was probably a moment like this in Dublin, they were building Merrion Square, the Wide Streets Commissioners were aggrandizing Dame Street and Gandon was fending off angry mobs at the Custom House.

So next up a Famine? Sheeeiiite

(i may have skipped a few decades there)
alonso

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Wed May 20, 2009 12:02 pm

what? wrote:The white bands are clearly the manipulation of structure into motif.

The jarring junction of facade with the side wings is also symptomatic of this intentionally unresolved aesthetic drive.

I think your username says it all.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby gunter » Wed May 20, 2009 12:28 pm

what? wrote:The white bands are clearly the manipulation of structure into motif.

and the motif being homáge to the Beijing bird's nest?

what? wrote:The jarring junction of facade with the side wings is also symptomatic of this intentionally unresolved aesthetic drive.

otherwise known as 'creative block'.

alonso wrote:So next up a Famine?

Alonso: I was thinking more in terms of an architectural moment!

what? knows what I'm talking about, don't you what?
gunter
Old Master

Postby ctesiphon » Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 pm

alonso wrote:So next up a Famine? Sheeeiiite

(i may have skipped a few decades there)

You sure did! First, there has to be an Act of Union. ;)

Would you bet against it? (Oh, hang on... M&S, Tesco, Debenhams, John Lewis...)
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby JoePublic » Fri May 22, 2009 5:48 pm

The cladding on the sides is being unveiled in sections. Diagonal strips of silvery metal, think the top 2 thirds of the spire. If the roof is made of this too, the building will be dazzling, figuratively and literally.
JoePublic

Postby Morlan » Fri May 22, 2009 6:08 pm

I think it looks cool so far, but I'll reserve judgment until it's complete.

I do worry about the amount of lighting maintenance in the square. I haven't been there in a long time. Are the billions of LEDs still working?
Morlan

Postby pippin101 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Checked it out over the weekend. It's too early to tell cause the roof still isn't formed.

One thing I'd say is that in the renders it looks like the sloping roof would be visible from ground level, but that doesn't appear to be the case unless you're standing way back at the water's edge.

gunter wrote:and the motif being homáge to the Beijing bird's nest?

Yes! My thoughts exactly! The diagonal sides, giving it a dish shape, the beams at crazy angles inside... it's the nest again.
pippin101

Postby Overworked » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 pm

The theatre seems to be clad in metal. Does anyone have any idea what exactly this is?
Overworked

Postby Morlan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:09 am

Looks pretty groovy to me so far. What's wrong with you lot? Would you prefer one of DDDA's 'oh so bland' 6 storey blocks instead? This is the best we can hope for!

(c) http://www.flickr.com/photos/turgidson/

(c) http://www.flickr.com/photos/megangier/
Morlan

Postby missarchi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:44 am

is it a parametric building?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby reddy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 am

Wow, thats beginning to look great!
reddy

Postby ihateawake » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Weren't those cross beams black in the render?
ihateawake

Postby marmajam » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:54 pm

do wha?
marmajam

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:54 am

interior pretty far along ... (from the Irish Times)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2009/1105/1224258088629.html

IT, Frank McDonald wrote:It is flanked by an office block with the most beautiful façade in Dublin (by Duffy Mitchell O’Donoghue) and an unfinished hotel developed by Terry Devey. Its cheap-looking chequerboard pattern is a travesty of Portuguese architect Manuel Aires Mateus’ original idea that it would look as if hewn from a single block of stone.

Spot on, Frank !
Peter Fitz

Postby gunter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 am

The interior looks brash and decadent . . . . . . . like a proper theatre
gunter
Old Master

Postby GregF » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:30 pm

gunter wrote:The interior looks brash and decadent . . . . . . . like a proper theatre

I agree!
GregF
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Agreed - interior of the theatre looks fabulous darling... interested in seeing the circulation spaces etc
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby murrmurr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 pm

That picture looks delightful, waiting for some more.

Hard to see where they'll fit 2,000 :)
murrmurr

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland