Libeskind - Grand Canal Theatre

Re: Libeskind - Grand Canal Theatre

Postby GregF » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:55 pm

I quite like this whole scheme. Kinda 'funky' contemporary stuff, it will be a welcome addition to the docklands including the 2000 seater theatre.

Checkout more of it here on his website...

http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/show-all/grand-canal-square-theatre-and-commercial-development/
GregF
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:23 pm

jdivision wrote:It's privately owned (Harry Crosbie) so think that may be out unfortunately. Would have been a most sensible idea otherwise. Too sensible by far for those doing the botching

Had heard it was one of Crosbie's projects alright, but also read it was the DDDA, will yield to your knowledge on that one ;)

Ah well, if you ever fancy making a grand gesture to the nation Mr. Crosbie, you know what to do !
Peter Fitz

Postby jdivision » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Peter Fitz wrote:
Ah well, if you ever fancy making a grand gesture to the nation Mr. Crosbie, you know what to do !

Rumour is he paid Joe O'Reilly E100m for it, if that's true it'd be one hell of a gesture!!
jdivision

Postby shadow » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 pm

The veil finally falls on Studio Libeskind..... All the Pseudo intellectual stuff has finally be benched in favour of what is a shallow exercise in facadism. Not merely intellectually problematic it really doesn't rate as design....

What on earth... If you look closely at the Grand Canal, the real front on the street it is a combination of zip a tone and letraline. For all of you too young to know what that is check out the 1970's.
shadow

Postby EIA340600 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Re. the 10 foot drop...The water level is controlled by the opening and closing of gates AFAIK and for the vast majority of the time the water level is at the same level as the footpath.I wandered down to have a look on Sunday and have to say that it looks great! It should be brilliant when finished.The theatre building itself is IMO one of the best looking new buildings in Dublin.The whole square is striking and the way that the hotel is reflected in the building opposite is fantastic!It's one of very few modern developments in Dublin that make me proud of our Boom.

I also think that there is no harm in having more than just a few theatres in Dublin.A new theatre in GPO would be great! It would be brilliant if the city was able to attract large shows and performances to its shores to attract people to the city in a London/New York kind of way.
EIA340600

Postby alonso » Sun May 17, 2009 9:47 pm

few shots from a rain sodden wind swept Grand Canal Dock

reminds me of a ska badge i once had

Onto the theatre

alonso

Postby PTB » Mon May 18, 2009 8:01 am

Only in the last picture does it become obvious what a dreadful building the theatre is. It's not even good iconic architecture.

Bah.
PTB

Postby marmajam » Mon May 18, 2009 8:27 am

looks terrible. some good brick cladding might fix it though.
marmajam

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Mon May 18, 2009 9:33 am

I love how people who could never design a building a fraction as good as this can do nothing but bitch and moan. Why is everyone on here so negative? It's maddening!!!
rumpelstiltskin

Postby green_jesus » Mon May 18, 2009 9:47 am

rumpelstiltskin wrote:I love how people who could never design a building a fraction as good as this can do nothing but bitch and moan. Why is everyone on here so negative? It's maddening!!!

+1

This has to be the most interesting and original design in the last 15 years and it will be cherished for many years to come.
green_jesus

Postby cgcsb » Mon May 18, 2009 9:54 am

I think it's an amazing design. I don't understand why people are so critical
cgcsb

Postby spoil_sport » Mon May 18, 2009 10:28 am

Why are some people so easily amused...?
Poor. Very poor.
spoil_sport

Postby dermot_trellis » Mon May 18, 2009 10:44 am

You can't judge a building by one (incomplete) facade, lads...
dermot_trellis

Postby thebig C » Mon May 18, 2009 11:29 am

I like it. But, does anybody think it looks a bit sandwiched in between the neighbouring Hotel and Office development? I feel this lack of surrounding space detracts from its impact.

Overall.....easily the most distinctive building in that mind numbing dross called "The Docklands"!

C
thebig C

Postby marmajam » Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 am

It's actually very fine from any perspective.

Except when viewed from the dark inverted passage that some posters have wedged themselves sillyly in.
marmajam

Postby what? » Mon May 18, 2009 11:43 am

As previously one of it's biggest detractors, I have to change my stance slightly on this.

Since the glass on the facade has gone in it is beginning to have an interesting, layered materiality.

Of course the 'reasoning' behind the building is dire and as a piece of architecture it has no integrity, but as something to look at it is becoming quite striking.

I also enjoy the boldness of that chequred facade of the hotel .I wish they would finish that thing, such a shame.
what?

Postby alonso » Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 am

dermot_trellis wrote:You can't judge a building by one (incomplete) facade, lads...

This is archiseek. We can judge on the basis of a camera phone shot of a drawing in the planning file ;)

i like it anyway, nice place overall, if a little deserted on a poxy Sunday afternoon
alonso

Postby marmajam » Mon May 18, 2009 12:29 pm

it was originally meant to be austerely simple, with classical lines, a little known parallel genre that L has been quietly championing......but the drawing got scrunched up in a copying machine........never seen the tongue in cheek when Libby is talking about it?

mind, there's not much architecture in Dublin that wouldn't be improved by a bit of scrunching.
marmajam

Postby PTB » Mon May 18, 2009 3:01 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:I love how people who could never design a building a fraction as good as this can do nothing but bitch and moan.

Alas, it aint a good piece of architecture. The appears to be no justification for the architecture. I wouldn't mind the facade as much if it wasn't so badly composed. The emphasis of the building as a whole is forward into the square but that is horribly contradicted by the sideways skew of the windows to the left of the photo. It's just horribly nauseating. Oh, and it lacks any sort of justification other than that the DDDA wanted some sort of Iconic architecture. If I had done something similar in a first year project it probably wouldn't have done very well.

It would have been far braver to turn over the job to an Irish company like McCullough Mulvin, Heneghan Peng, Grafton et cetera

To quote Glenn Murcutt at the recent DIT colloquim -

We only need one Frank Gehry, we only need one Zaha Hadid and we only need no Daniel Liebeskind

Spot on Glenn
PTB

Postby archipig » Mon May 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Theres waaayyyyyyy to much going on in that square. Its disapointing that all these buildings were designed as a single submission and yet there is still no consistancy between them.
archipig

Postby parka » Mon May 18, 2009 3:29 pm

PTB wrote:It would have been far braver to turn over the job to an Irish company like McCullough Mulvin, Heneghan Peng, Grafton et cetera

I'm glad they didn't
parka

Postby gunter » Mon May 18, 2009 4:25 pm

PTB wrote:
To quote Glenn Murcutt at the recent DIT colloquim -

[INDENT]''We only need one Frank Gehry, we only need one Zaha Hadid and we only need no Daniel Liebeskind''![/INDENT]

Did he actually say that?

. . . . I can't believe he said we needed one Zaha Hadid!
gunter
Old Master

Postby dermot_trellis » Mon May 18, 2009 4:49 pm

PTB wrote:Alas, it aint a good piece of architecture. The appears to be no justification for the architecture.... Oh, and it lacks any sort of justification other than that the DDDA wanted some sort of Iconic architecture.

Not that I'm overly fond of Libeskind's work in general, but there's room in architecture for the non-rational\sculptural approach some of the time too, right?.. (as in, the end result can be good irrespective of how silly the 'justification' for it is)
dermot_trellis

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 am

dermot_trellis wrote:(as in, the end result can be good irrespective of how silly the 'justification' for it is)

Or, as is more often the case, vice versa.

what? wrote:Of course the 'reasoning' behind the building is dire and as a piece of architecture it has no integrity, but as something to look at it is becoming quite striking.

I think this sentence sums up a lot of what's wrong with architects nowadays. After three years being lectured by failed architects, people come out sounding like textbooks instead of human beings.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby PTB » Tue May 19, 2009 8:39 am

Originally Posted by gunter
Did he actually say that?

Yes and he got a fine round of applause

dermot_trellis wrote:Not that I'm overly fond of Libeskind's work in general, but there's room in architecture for the non-rational\sculptural approach some of the time too, right?

Perhaps yes, but libeskind has made his whole career out of it, which bugs me.
PTB

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland