Libeskind - Grand Canal Theatre

Re: New Public Space for Docklands

Postby JoePublic » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Some images of the back of the back of the liebskind theatre, along Macken street. There's a lot more images on the hoardings on Macken street going up today, including clearer images of the front of the theatre.

http://www.grandcanalsquare.ie/
JoePublic

Postby Trudee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:33 pm

Is it DCC or DDDA who maintains the area, whoever it is is doing a great job, the place always looks really clean.
Trudee

Postby Starch » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:44 pm

There are some new images of Libeskind's proposals on his website
http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/show-all/grand-canal-theatre/

scroll down and you will see them
Starch

Re: Libeskind - Grand Canal Theatre

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:59 pm

to save people the trip ;)
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (184.64 KiB) Viewed 6725 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (269.73 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (278.45 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (165.68 KiB) Viewed 6659 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (173.45 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby JoePublic » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:04 pm

Interesting seeing those jets of water in the last picture, I've never see that happen in reality yet, maybe someone needs to turn on the tap a little more :-)
JoePublic

Postby notjim » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Where do they get those tiny people for computer generated pictures?
notjim

Postby dc3 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Where do they get the absence of illegally parked cars, vans and delivery trucks in architectural drawings.

Is there a filter "Remove Reality" that can be applied when the excess sunshine is added:eek: ?
dc3

Postby igy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:27 pm

What I noticed most of all there is the water level, the renders show it as high as the footpath, when it's actually a good drop of about 10ft
igy

Postby adhoc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:36 pm

igy wrote:What I noticed most of all there is the water level, the renders show it as high as the footpath, when it's actually a good drop of about 10ft

Its tidal.
adhoc

Postby Rory W » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:23 pm

How is a dock tidal?
Rory W
Old Master

Postby CC105 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:46 pm

notjim wrote:Where do they get those tiny people for computer generated pictures?

And the clean water, last time I was there it was filthy
CC105

Postby kefu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm

There's an interesting little park developing right behind the Mateus hotel with the chimney in it. Looks like a potentially lovely feature. Have to say (like or dislike it) this is certainly the boldest building yet planned for Dublin in recent years. It is such a vast improvement on what DDDA allowed on the Northside.
kefu

Postby igy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:27 pm

rory w wrote:How is a dock tidal?

Exactly, It's a canal basin that's not directly exposed to the sea
igy

Postby PTB » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:39 pm

Interesting to see Liebeskind using a bit of colour for once. Driven by Schwartz's design perhaps. Or the other way round. Or is this some kind of joint project?
PTB

Postby BostonorBerlin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:23 pm

Will there not be alot of water dripping off the front lip of this building down on the poor people who happen to stand underneath for any length of time, especialy when rain is coupled with a bit of wind, pidgeons love that sort of a spot also. Not to mind the water gushing down the slanted roof , although I expect thats being catered for. All of course on the rare day that isnt as brilliantly sunny as the image. Would someone throw the hooray henry in the boat a line , he is not tied up, has no sail,nor inboard/outboard motor.
BostonorBerlin

Postby StephenC » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:03 pm

I presume Daniel knows what a gutter is
StephenC
Old Master

Postby BostonorBerlin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:02 pm

the factual evidence indicates otherwise ....back of the class for you ...

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/070411denverartmuseum.asp

After unveiling the long-awaited 146,000-sqaure-foot addition last fall, trustees, staff, and patrons thought they’d seen the last of construction crews for a while. But only weeks after the Hamilton wing’s grand opening on October 7, a massive storm dumped nearly two feet of snow and gave the new structure its first real test of severe weather. Much to their disappointment, museum officials discovered water leaking from the roof and skylights in the El Pomar Grand Atrium. This soaring, 120-foot-high space serves as the main lobby for the galleries and is best known for its sloped walls and a spiraling, four-story staircase.
The building’s architects, a joint venture between Studio Daniel Libeskind and Davis Partnership Architects, worked with teams from the construction firm M.A. Mortenson to inspect the atrium’s roof, which is composed of structural steel and a metal deck clad in titanium panels. As part of a temporary fix, crews removed elevated beam covers and applied an additional waterproofing layer
BostonorBerlin

Postby StephenC » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:16 am

LOL I love it....Mt Libeskind has feet of clay it seems.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:26 pm

The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto recently released a statement saying their Libeskind didn't have any problems after the Globe and Mail newspaper suggested it leaked...

"Last week, The Globe and Mail newspaper printed an article entitled "Leaks, woes a smudge on Crystal sparkle" (Oct. 3, 2007). The story gives misleading impressions of the true state of the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal and gallery development."

"The Lee-Chin Crystal building has been watertight since its completion in the summer of 2007. With very minor exceptions as final details are completed, the cladding has proven to be leak-proof. The permanent galleries in the Lee-Chin Crystal were designed primarily for the ROM's three-dimensional collections (dinosaurs, mammals, ethnology, textiles) and are developing as planned for openings this winter. Exhibit designers have consulted directly with the architects since 2002. The galleries are emerging beautifully."

"Since our all-night open house on June 3, we have experienced no problems with public behaviours in the Crystal spaces. Daniel Libeskind's building was designed to meet an explicit program and is doing so with strength and efficacy. We are delighted with the result."
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Blisterman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:57 pm

igy wrote:What I noticed most of all there is the water level, the renders show it as high as the footpath, when it's actually a good drop of about 10ft

Obviously, Daniel Leibeskind has the foresight to consider the effects of climate change.
Blisterman

Postby Starch » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Starch

Postby johnglas » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:32 pm

DL Studios have considerably modified this since the early sketch proposals (for which much thanks). Although I still think the perf arts building is a bit lumpy, it now presents a much better edge to the (admittedly zany) plaza in front. However, it's all very Mr Mxyzlptk. (Am I showing my age? The reference is to a character from another dimension in Superman comics; you can neither pronounce the name nor deal with the dimension.) There you go: the Mxyzlptk Concert Hall - any other names?Let's hope it all turns out OK. How far has building progressed? I hope to be in Dublin Apr/May.
johnglas

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 pm

More detail there alright, the red lining the underside of the canopy is new, i quite like it but its a little harder to achieve than punching in an RGB code in reality.

I don't see any correlation between the model & render of the auditorium's interior (which is fairly conventional) although given the number of changes, perhaps one or other is a throw back to the original renders.
Peter Fitz

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:42 am

Given that we're unlikely at this stage to ever see a new building for the Abbey against the backdrop of a site selection 'process' that was botched beyond belief, made worse by the nonsense that was the final decision - is there some merit in giving the grand canal theatre an actual purpose & declaring it the Abbey's new home ?

I'm sure the internal configuration & capacity may need to be altered but perhaps this represents a viable option, given that the building will actually be completed and the site is not too bad either. I'm sure the DDDA if called upon wouldn't be adverse to doing the state some service ;)

Any thoughts ?
Peter Fitz

Postby jdivision » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:28 pm

It's privately owned (Harry Crosbie) so think that may be out unfortunately. Would have been a most sensible idea otherwise. Too sensible by far for those doing the botching
jdivision

Next

Return to Ireland