Should Liberty Hall Be Listed?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 366

Re: Liberty Hall

Postby Paddy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm

an unusual prediction of the future in a fish tank in crumlin hospital!
Attachments
crumlintest.jpg
crumlintest.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Paddy

Postby Paddy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:58 pm

!
Attachments
Crumn2.jpg
Crumn2.jpg (151.1 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
Paddy

Postby GrahamH » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Heheh - thanks for those Paddy :D

Well from what I've gathered from this saga from the start is that Siptu simply will not countenance a non-impacting structure on this site. Their ego if anything is greater now than it was in 1965; the driving force behind this proposal is 'a building for the 21st century' (yawn), as much as it is the commercial benefits. They want a tower at all costs.

As such, it seems likely that a similarly-scaled tower will be proposed, maybe a couple of storeys taller and slightly wider that the current arrangement. The crucial point is the reference to 'tower' in the article; it's hard to know if the accommodation of the stated floorspace in a tower rather than a tower plus other buildings was just an interpretation on the part of the journalist.

There's no way that a Central Bank-like structure will get approval, nor should it. Similarly a substantially taller tower on the site will not pass either. It seems a high density of maybe seven storeys across the rest of the site is being depended on to justify a barely-larger tower. Which if the case, would make justification for the current tower's demolition all the more dubious.

A couple of shots of how lovely it looked a few hours ago in the soft evening sun.

It always makes for a charmingly whimsical point of interest on the skyline - I don't understand how someone could be offended by it, even if just not a fan. But offensive it is not.

So what's the likelihood of a quiet little listing proposal being slipped into City Hall? I don't think this should be allowed go without at least a public debate on the matter. Frankly it's not Siptu's decision to pull the building down. It belongs to the city.
GrahamH
Old Master

Liberty Hall

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:54 am

Now its demise is imminent, should Liberty Hall be listed for preservation?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby shamrockmetro » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:09 pm

i have 10 photoshop mockups that lead to my 2 key concepts however im not releasing them yet... :p
shamrockmetro

Postby Paddy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:45 pm

go on shamrockmetro I'd be keen to see them
Paddy

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:47 pm

shamrockmetro wrote:i have 10 photoshop mockups that lead to my 2 key concepts however im not releasing them yet... :p

Single issue candidates will be the death of this country.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby shamrockmetro » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:02 am

no bridge?
no liberty hall?
no ifsc ??

here is the low rez one!

but i have a strange feeling we will get a new liberty hall
shamrockmetro

Postby PTB » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:13 pm

Pepsi wrote:cork county hall gone? sure it was only done up a few years ago.

I said it was as good as gone. Shay Healy's Louvers took away what made it a sixties biulding - the concrete crosses that were all over the building.
PTB

Postby GrahamH » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Wow - interesting view shamrockmetro. The Custom House looks so, well, Venetian! Lazily sunning itself along the waters' edge. Why do I get the impression it's larger-scaled than it should be though?

Psssing Liberty Hall this evening was the first time it really stood out to me as a Sixties building. Being so familar, it's easy just to accept it as 'Liberty Hall' rather than '1960's skyscraper', which the latter is to any outside observer. Very few other cities have a singular lack of tall buildings in their centre with a distinctive exception of 1960's design relative to the impact that Liberty Hall has on the small skyline of Dublin. It's so clearly of it's time that it must be a joy to stumble upon for the first time, and fully restored we ought to be able to appreciate that too.

Interpreting it in that way makes you see it in an entirely different light, and it becomes a fascinating piece of built heritage as much as all the usual suspects. In fact, people should make an effort to go out and have a good look at with this in mind - I don't think we've quite copped on to the fact that there's a 17-storey 1960's tower slap bang in the middle of Dublin! What a freak development, and equally what a freak survivor.

Let's list this building, and look back in twenty years time when the city is liberally peppered with mediocre 32-storey buildings and be able to still look up at the prototype, the original. And there's little doubt in my mind that it will be the only tower that people will hold a true affection for.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Desmund » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:43 am

GrahamH wrote:Wow - interesting view shamrockmetro. The Custom House looks so, well, Venetian! Lazily sunning itself along the waters' edge. Why do I get the impression it's larger-scaled than it should be though?

Psssing Liberty Hall this evening was the first time it really stood out to me as a Sixties building. Being so familar, it's easy just to accept it as 'Liberty Hall' rather than '1960's skyscraper', which the latter is to any outside observer. Very few other cities have a singular lack of tall buildings in their centre with a distinctive exception of 1960's design relative to the impact that Liberty Hall has on the small skyline of Dublin. It's so clearly of it's time that it must be a joy to stumble upon for the first time, and fully restored we ought to be able to appreciate that too.

Interpreting it in that way makes you see it in an entirely different light, and it becomes a fascinating piece of built heritage as much as all the usual suspects. In fact, people should make an effort to go out and have a good look at with this in mind - I don't think we've quite copped on to the fact that there's a 17-storey 1960's tower slap bang in the middle of Dublin! What a freak development, and equally what a freak survivor.

Let's list this building, and look back in twenty years time when the city is liberally peppered with mediocre 32-storey buildings and be able to still look up at the prototype, the original. And there's little doubt in my mind that it will be the only tower that people will hold a true affection for.

What an absolutely brilliant post!
Desmund

Postby paul h » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Im sure there are some posters on archiseek that if liberty hall was not threatened they would look at it with disgust and use it as an example of why there should be no high rise built anywhere
But now because it is threatened there is a new found love , it is absolutely baffling to me
paul h

Postby Peter Fitz » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:05 pm

No new found love with me, I've always liked it ... whereas I wouldn't mind seeing the back of O'Connell Bridge House, Hawkins, Apollo & friends ... its in a different league imo.
Peter Fitz

Postby shamrockmetro » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:27 am

I hope this is true...
Attachments
00017688 copy.jpg
00017688 copy.jpg (182.75 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
shamrockmetro

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Gilroy McMahon have been chosen as architects for the redevelopment of Liberty Hall.

They have been picked from a shortlist by the executive council of the Siptu trade union, which owns the building. An invitation for expressions of interest attracted 34 architectural practices across European, Siptu says.

A short list of six practices were then selected for interview.

Announcing the appointment, SIPTU General Secretary, Joe O'Flynn said he hoped the replacement building for Liberty Hall will become as familiar a part of the Dublin skyline as the existing building when it is completed in about four years.

"SIPTU is conscious of the union's place in the community and will be mindful of that in developing the project.

"This venture will preserve the union's long association with the current historical site and its commitment to the struggle for workers rights from its foundation in 1909 to its role in advancing the cause of exploited workers in modern Ireland to securing positive change for workers through Social Partnership," he said.

The interview panel comprised; Joan O'Connor former President of the RIAI and Director Interactive Project Managers Ltd., Pat Cooney, Head Architect OPW, John O'Connor Architect and County Manager of Fingal County Council, Jack O'Connor, SIPTU General President and Joe O'Flynn, SIPTU General Secretary.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby shamrockmetro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:29 pm

im going to appeal it...
shamrockmetro

Postby shamrockmetro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:34 pm

with a better design...
shamrockmetro

Postby shamrockmetro » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:45 pm

hmmm
Attachments
yesterdays news.jpg
yesterdays news.jpg (276.09 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
shamrockmetro

Postby missarchi » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:24 pm

missarchi
Old Master

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:19 am

Anyone else see the Liberty Hall feature on City Channel last night ? only got the last 5 minutes, showed Liberty in a positive light & discussed its likely demise ... Paddy (who posted a few pages back i think) was also interviewed about his film & efforts to stir up some support for this old lady.

Nice to see it get some attention, though with an overiding sense that demolition is really a fait accompli.

I find it hard to imagine Dublin without it :(
(yeah yeah i know its sentimental & i don't give a shite!)
Peter Fitz

Postby missarchi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:30 pm

I don't about this project...
I think a mega tower above connolly aligned with talbot st might be a bitter option or somewhere else
missarchi
Old Master

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:45 pm

missarchi wrote:I don't about this project...
I think a mega tower above connolly aligned with talbot st might be a bitter option or somewhere else

well that's up to your usual standard
wearnicehats

Postby Westie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

'Liberty Hall' a Protected Structure, I dunno about that. Despite some peoples misguided affection, I cant see a rationale to argue for its preservation on Architectural grounds as you could with the BOI HQ. The only basis for its statutory preservation would be on Historical grounds. On that interesting to a note a similar debate in Sydney in the 1990's regarding AMP Tower on Circular Quay. A curtain wall 60's office block granted heritage status by reason of the fact it was Sydney's first permitted Skyscraper. See link below.

http://www.sydneyarchitecture.com/ROC/QUA11.htm

But thats only relevant in the context of the monoliths its facilitated and that now surround it. Hard to make a similar case for Liberty Hall.

My view, tear it down and lets get a 21st century 'iconic' building here.
Westie

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:38 pm

Westie wrote:Despite some peoples misguided affection, I cant see a rationale to argue for its preservation on Architectural grounds as you could with the BOI HQ.

Whatever about the latter, affection cannot be misguided. If people like it, they like it.
Peter Fitz

Postby Westie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Peter Fitz wrote:Whatever about the latter, affection cannot be misguided. If people like it, they like it.

Why do people like it ?. Just because its been there for 40 odd years. Its a bug bearer I have with Dubliners and I think indicative of many of the problems Dublin faces. Its not that people love LIberty Hall, its that they really just dont like change, they'd prefer to retain an ugly 60.'s eyesore than risk replacing it with something new and innovative. Only in Dublin could people possibly have a cultural affection for two overbearing nondescript chimney stacks which ruin an otherwise stunning bay area. I think this 'Dublin in the rare oul times' attitude shows a lack of self-confidence and is at the root of why we have no iconic 21st century architecture in this city, why the high rise debate is so contentious, why the docklands (the best opportunity we had to go crazy architecturally) look like something from an IKEA flatpack and why planning generally in this city is soooo frustrating.

I feel much better after that vent ;)
Westie

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland