Natural History Museum

Natural History Museum

Postby GregF » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Just heard that a stair has collapsed at the Natural History Museum!

Early reports says it was a stone staircase!

Several people have been injured but no one has been killed.
GregF
Old Master

Re: Stair Collapses at Natural History Museum

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 pm

that's the main on from ground floor to next level?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby henno » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:44 pm

the interviewee on the news stated that it was 'one which isnt used much'.....
henno

Postby ctesiphon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:13 pm

Afaik it was a staff staircase, not used by the public. Don't know the location/materials/age/etc.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0705/museum.html

By the by, it caused the cancellation of a Metro North press conference due for this morning in Leinster House.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby GregF » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:55 pm

The botchers no doubt will be in to repair it ....with reinforced steel, concrete, pebble dash etc...also at the same time knocking lumps outta the existing walls and ceilings etc...
GregF
Old Master

Postby publicrealm » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:02 pm

GregF wrote:The botchers no doubt will be in to repair it ....with reinforced steel, concrete, pebble dash etc...also at the same time knocking lumps outta the existing walls and ceilings etc...

I hope nobody is too badly hurt.

The Nat Hist has a very special place in my affections - and I'm sure those of generations of Dublin gurriers like me. I actually called by today because I heard that there had been a fire (hence all the fire brigades) and I was horrified at the implications.

It (and the other free museums and galleries of the city, particularly the Municipal in Parnell Square) is immensely important in my opinion - one of the few places that would certainly get me to chain myself to the railings if any attempt was made to molest it. I think it is probably one of the most charming and warm museums in the world.

I think this is generally recognised however and I expect that Pat wallace will ensure it is sensitively repaired.

On the issue of free access - and in fairness to whoever is responsible for these matters - it is notable that all these facilities are free in Ireland - I suspect that this is not usually the case elsewhere.

Congrats to someone :D
publicrealm

Postby alonso » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:18 am

Two people remain in a serious condition in hospital after they were injured when a staircase collapsed inside the Natural History Museum in Dublin yesterday.

The museum will remain closed while a safety audit is carried out.

11 people were injured when the stone staircase collapsed at around 11.30am yesterday morning.
The staircase was in a part of the building that is not normally used by members of the public.
alonso

Postby PTB » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:09 pm

I think that thats the stairs that was once the main staircase. Once upon a time the main entrance to the building was at the other end of the building and then that entrance was cut off for some reason and the other end was opened up as the main entrance. Thats why all the animals have their arses facing us when we go up the stairs.

That was on a programme about the natural history musuem that was on RTE radio a while back. Its a really interesting building with a very interesting history.
PTB

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby shanekeane » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:Plans for Natural History Museum
http://www.quilliganarchitects.ie/work/civic/museum-of-natural-history/

Why in God's name can't they just reinforce the stairs and leave the place alone? Seriously? It was the best museum in Dublin and the best Natural History Museum I've ever been to. It hasn't got the resources to compete with London or New York in terms of screaming children and inane button-pressing gimmicks, so why doesn't it just remain the utterly unique place that it was? It was a dusty Victorian exhibition space, forgotten by time, a place where you might expect to meet Charles Darwin or Dr. Livingstone squatting in a dark corner. Please, please, please just leave it alone, build your facilities somewhere else.
shanekeane

Postby publicrealm » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:21 am

shanekeane wrote:Why in God's name can't they just reinforce the stairs and leave the place alone? Seriously? It was the best museum in Dublin and the best Natural History Museum I've ever been to. It hasn't got the resources to compete with London or New York in terms of screaming children and inane button-pressing gimmicks, so why doesn't it just remain the utterly unique place that it was? It was a dusty Victorian exhibition space, forgotten by time, a place where you might expect to meet Charles Darwin or Dr. Livingstone squatting in a dark corner. Please, please, please just leave it alone, build your facilities somewhere else.

I couldn't agree more. I feel very strongly about this museum and its genteel decay is very much a part of its charm.

Bugger the interactive displays - the place is beyond perfect at the moment. It's a key and treasured part of my childhood and my childrens' childhoods and there has been no obvious change in that time.
I'm not sure whether the 'extension' is the only work proposed - if so and if sensitively handled it might not diminish the museum - but it should be visually separated from the interior of the museum in my view.

Anyone want to organise a friends of the dead museum lobby group - maybe one exists?
publicrealm

Re: Natural History Museum

Postby Seanoh » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:43 pm

There probably is a 'save the dusty old museum' group formed out there, because that's the role of museums, isn't it - to preserve the childhood memories of luddites.
Seanoh

Postby PTB » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Seanoh wrote:There probably is a 'save the dusty old museum' group formed out there, because that's the role of museums, isn't it - to preserve the childhood memories of luddites.

This isn't about being a luddite. This is about protecting a museum that is possibly the only one to survive largely unchanged from the Victorian period. Im irritated that you connect protecting heritage with being backward and against modern development. The fact is that The Natural history Museum is quite unique and adding on a shop and a cafe and a lecture theatre (how do they fit that into such a narrow extension?) detracts from this uniqueness. Every other museum or gallery has a cafe or gift shop selling postcard and pencils. Why should the NHM have to conform to this?

Leave the building as it is
PTB

Postby tommyt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:47 pm

Are they going to reattach genitialia to some of the larger exhibits that were removed presumably to protect Victorian sensibilities?? Leave the Dead Zoo alone. Maybe they will build a 16 storey glass box over the whole thing to host their latest exhibit; Dilletantus Conservatourus (mickey optional)
tommyt

Postby hutton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:28 pm

And the money to build it is going to come from where?........ oh, I forgot minister martin cullen 'cos he just loves heritage

folks Its not going to happen :)
hutton

Postby publicrealm » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Seanoh wrote:There probably is a 'save the dusty old museum' group formed out there, because that's the role of museums, isn't it - to preserve the childhood memories of luddites.

Excellent argument, well presented and thought out AND respectful of others opinions.

Congrats on post no 11. I await further gems with interest.:D
publicrealm

€15m Natural History Museum renovation is put on hold

Postby alonso » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:27 pm

" wrote:A MAJOR renovation plan for Dublin's Natural History Museum has been put on hold because of the shortfall in public finances. Some €15 million had been earmarked in the National Development Plan to upgrade the 150-year-old building on Merrion Street which closed to the public in July 2007 after a staircase collapsed.

There has been no public announcement on the postponement of the project, but a spokesman for the Office of Public Works (OPW) told The Irish Times that the refurbishment would not progress as planned.

He said the OPW was instead trying to pinpoint the repair work that needed to be done to allow the museum to reopen in 2009.

The spokesman insisted that the main project had not been abandoned. "We are not saying the project won't happen. It just won't happen in the timescale that was anticipated." The original refurbishment plan included work to the fabric of the museum as well as a new glass extension.

It would contain lifts, toilets, a shop and a cafe. New environmental controls would also be introduced to protect the collections. The project was due for completion in late 2010/early 2011.

The National Museum of Ireland's head of services, Séamus Lynam, said the museum staff were realistic and understood the problems with the public finances. "Basically the museum's position is that we want to get the museum open again - 150,000 visitors come to our museum every year. That's a big number. We are very cognisant of the huge fondness for the museum."

Mr Lynam said the museum would not be able to reopen until access issues were dealt with because elderly people or those with disabilities were unable to go upstairs. He said the museum would also like to see an improvement in its educational space before reopening. He hoped a decision on the reopening would be made early in the new year.

As it awaits a decision on the reopening, the museum has planned a temporary exhibition on natural history in the National Museum at Collins Barracks in March.

"We want to keep the footprint of natural history in the public eye," Mr Lynam said. "That's very important to us."

A temporary exhibition was recently held in the country life museum in Castlebar for the same reason.

The refurbishment plan for the museum had been in the offing for some time but matters came to a head on July 5th, 2007, when a limestone staircase behind the scenes collapsed without warning. Ten people were taken to hospital.

The building houses more than 10,000 exhibits of zoology and geology and keeps two million scientific specimens in storage behind the scenes.

and here's us thinkin Hutton was being cynical above

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1227/1229728560950.html
alonso

Postby lostexpectation » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:06 pm

when exactly is it going to be open?
lostexpectation

Postby lostexpectation » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:34 pm

when exactly is it going to be open?
lostexpectation

Postby shanekeane » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:00 pm

This is good news. Maybe it will give them time to reconsider this terrible plan. If they want a school tour-infested space with interactive button displays and idiotic exhibitions, why don't they just build a modern museum in the docklands and leave this one alone.
shanekeane

Re: €15m Natural History Museum renovation is put on hold

Postby dc3 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:24 pm

[quote="alonso"]and here's us thinkin Hutton was being cynical above

[quote]

Joining the Dublin Civic Museum into the never-never land, I am afraid, and a lot more Arts projects likely to follow it, I fear.

Survival of the Fittest, eh?
dc3

Postby Rory W » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Nah - too busy pissing away billions into a failure like Anglo Irish in order to prop up 'the developers bank'
Rory W
Old Master

Postby SeamusOG » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:29 pm

In the meantime, while the Natural History Museum is closed, I wonder if the very interesting collection at the top of the Zoology building in TCD is still viewable?

I haven't been there for several years, and I'm aware that there has been a reorganisation of Departments in TCD which may have affected things.

It's obviously not on a par with the Natural History Museum, but still very much worth a look.
SeamusOG

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby publicrealm » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:the dead zoo is coming back soon :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0414/6news_av.html?2736476,null,230

Great news. That's my lunch hours sorted for the next month then.

I love that place - I actually called by today to see if it was open yet. The doors were open but not yet to the public.

I'm delighted there was insufficient money to bugger it up.
publicrealm

Next

Return to Ireland